• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OPINIONS ON GARAGE INSULATION???

8stackhemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ON USING REGULAR BATTS R-19 IN THE WALLS & R-38 IN THE VAULTED CEILINGS ON THE NEW GARAGE. ANY OPINIONS OUT THERE FOR USING SPRAY FOAM, OR OTHER ALTERNATIVE TO THE COMMON FIBERGLAS BATTS???

1C751913-0150-4999-AB30-7321C15D27B1.jpeg

9E17BA28-57A3-4687-8156-B3E337FCB424.jpeg

4174E378-73F9-4FDF-915B-531A3F04DADA.jpeg

903B3CF8-5179-4473-9D1F-305EE03A2B57.jpeg

You cant go wrong with batt insulation and proper venting. Thats what I did. r-40 in the ceiling with proper vents. r-19 in the 2 x 6 walls. Cool in the summer and easy to heat in the winter. I am not against foam as it does seal all drafts when done properly. You have to have all wall and ceiling wiring in place before foam.

You cant go wrong with batt insulation and proper venting. Thats what I did. r-40 in the ceiling with proper vents. r-19 in the 2 x 6 walls. Cool in the summer and easy to heat in the winter. I am not against foam as it does seal all drafts when done properly. You have to have all wall and ceiling wiring in place before foam.
I worry about issues with a wiring problem later on with the foam encapsulating it all. I have the 2x6 walls, too. Got a week or so before i pull the trigger.

I would get the foam done throughout and go with surface mounted wiring in EMT conduit inside. After all, it's a garage and how much wiring could be really be needed ?

I worry about issues with a wiring problem later on with the foam encapsulating it all. I have the 2x6 walls, too. Got a week or so before i pull the trigger.
I vote fiberglass for that reason. You can always take it loose and add plumbing or wiring. Blown-in is a turd to work with.

I would totally wrap the inside of the garage with polyethylene sheeting, stapling it to every surface.
Then I would use the fiberglass batts because they have the most bang for your bucks. After that, I
would put 1/2" Thermax foam sheathing up before installing the drywall. Remember, you are not
building a house, so you shouldn't have any moisture issues! No bathing, (I hope!) no cooking, and
no humidifier. Seal it up like a bank vault and you won't have a large heating bill. My 24 X 24' garage
is insulated like this and the HOT DAWG heater goes on every three hours when it's zero degrees
outside and when I'm out there working the T-8 fluorescent light make enough heat that the heat
doesn't even come on. Sweet building! Wish I had the room.

I would get the foam done throughout and go with surface mounted wiring in EMT conduit inside. After all, it's a garage and how much wiring could be really be needed ?
Actually, wiring is at the 93% completion stage right now, but that would have been an option, otherwise. I used radiant sheathing on the roof, but Lord knows if that will really be of any benefit after all is said & done.
C55F3C48-B1AF-499B-8E4C-1A56D4E28867.jpeg
2234BD86-65F6-4DDF-9042-51F8D83011FE.jpeg
A65998DB-5EB7-462E-A69A-AE82C1C5AF2F.jpeg
75EDDD17-5345-4090-90DB-DFF65564B187.jpeg

I would totally wrap the inside of the garage with polyethylene sheeting, stapling it to every surface.
Then I would use the fiberglass batts because they have the most bang for your bucks. After that, I
would put 1/2" Thermax foam sheathing up before installing the drywall. Remember, you are not
building a house, so you shouldn't have any moisture issues! No bathing, (I hope!) no cooking, and
no humidifier. Seal it up like a bank vault and you won't have a large heating bill. My 24 X 24' garage
is insulated like this and the HOT DAWG heater goes on every three hours when it's zero degrees
outside and when I'm out there working the T-8 fluorescent light make enough heat that the heat
doesn't even come on. Sweet building! Wish I had the room.
Thanks! Do you mean, put the batts in, THEN WRAP with the polyethylene sheeting on the inside, stapling to the studs?? Then put the 1/2" Thermax on top of that? I'm planning on using Hardie Board T1-11 vertical panels on walls & vaulted ceiling, instead of drywall to give it a little pizzaz. Hope i'm not making a mistake there.

Rockwool Bats. Higher r value. Easier to work with. Way better for fire compared to pink fiberglass.

Actually, wiring is at the 93% completion stage right now, but that would have been an option, otherwise. I used radiant sheathing on the roof, but Lord knows if that will really be of any benefit after all is said & done.View attachment 1525479View attachment 1525480View attachment 1525481View attachment 1525482
Looks like you have some reflective rigid stuff up there already. I also see you are in South Carolina. How much insulation do you need? What is recommended for your area?

Put the poly up first for a killer vapor barrier, then the Batts, then the Thermax under your
finish material. Tape the seams on the Thermax!

Looks like you have some reflective rigid stuff up there already. I also see you are in South Carolina. How much insulation do you need? What is recommended for your area?
I'm concerned more for Summers in Carolina! Super HOT & HUMID, especially July, August & into September. Soooo uncomfortably hot & humid, sometimes it feels unreal......especially after retiring here from MI. I'm putting in a Mini-Split system too, humidity & dampness is a bear down here!

Put the poly up first for a killer vapor barrier, then the Batts, then the Thermax under your
finish material. Tape the seams on the Thermax!
Not sure how i put up poly, first! wrap it around & in between each 6" stud, then put the batts in??? Then put the Thermax over the studs before the finished interior wall? I'm confused,..........which can happen very easily, i might add!

You are much more likely to have sparks or other ignition sources in a garage. I would go fiberglass batts and 5/8 sheetrock for fire retard-ness.

I think 8stack pretty much answered that question in post #9. No such thing as too much wiring. Looking good.
I'm fiberglass bat fan myself for the reasons stated above. My shop is R19 in the walls and R60 in the ceiling. I'm in Colorado where it get's to 100 degrees in the summer and 10 below in the winter.
The shop stays a nice 70 degrees in the summer with the doors closed. I keep the stats set at 55 in the winter when I'm not working out there and the heat rarely kicks on even on the coldest days.
The vaulted ceilings do present a bit of a twist. Perhaps a layer of bats then blow in on top of that?

Auto Transport Service
Back