• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange box ecu test

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Is there any way to test a used orange ecu to see if it's good ??

Absolutely, bolt it on a car and fire it up.

Search this forum for "ignition box testing" or something similar. There are a lot of post with good info. I just got my car running with a new orange box. It worked ok for 3-4 days as I was getting the electrical system checked out. Then one day it would not start. I wiggled the orange box connecter, tightened the screw some more and it started.

Mine will die while running if I wiggle the plug on my orange box too hard. Yes it's tight. I keep dielectric grease on and keep it snug as possible but still moves

Had a no start some years ago, maybe 7-8 years after putting in the el ig, did the usual checks, no start. Put in another ECU fired right up. Along with a tight connection, make sure it has a solid ground at the mounting bolts. I keep a spare ECU and ballast under the the spare tire.

I tend to keep a few old (but new) orange boxes laying around here - I like having spares
from 20+ years ago. Come to think of it though, I've never had an "old" one fail, so....

Absolutely, bolt it on a car and fire it up.
I had an orange one on the car. The engine would idle for appx 10 minutes & then die. It would not start till after a cool down period. Are the boxes repairable or just junk if that happens. Or can they be checked before I pitch it out ?

If a new one works, toss the old one they're not repairable or worth the effort

How do you know it's the box? And I would keep the older box. There are guys that can rebuild them. The older ones are less prone to going bad than the newer ones. Halifaxhops on here may be able to rebuild your bad one

Last edited:
I relaced both the ballast & voltage regulator & it still conked out after idling for 10 minutes. I then replaced the orange box with a spare & it's been fine ever since.

I relaced both the ballast & voltage regulator & it still conked out after idling for 10 minutes. I then replaced the orange box with a spare & it's been fine ever since.
Did you double check everything with a multimeter? Ohms and volts at coil, ballast, key on/off /running /not running etc? Was there good ground on the old box? Also try wiggling the plug on your new orange box while running and see if it disrupts anything.

Last edited:
I've never used it, but it looks neat sitting on my garage shelf.

20220917_092839.jpg

Last edited:
Where would be the best place to find a replacement voltage regulator? I've heard the ones at Auto Zone are junk. For a 73 Charger.

Last edited:
Where would be the best place to find a replacement voltage regulator? I've heard the ones at Auto Zone are junk. For a 73 Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back