• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Organisol Paint questions.

Hemi2Much

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help out. I ordered some paint from 8774paint1.com
I ordered 1/2 gallon of the Organisol SEM 61993 and painted the hood and scoop on my 1966 Coronet.
I mixed the paint exactly like I was told and the paint laid down and covered quite well but the texture is a little rough.
It feels like 1000-grit sandpaper. It was supposed to be a single-stage paint no clear needed but I don't like the texture.
Is this paint supposed to be a little rough or is it supposed to be smooth? It's almost like it dry sprayed. I have painted several cars , motorcycles, and boats and never had a problem like this before. The entire hood is uniform in texture. What recommendations do you have and is there a way to salvage this paint?
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, JKent
processed-77ab9b48-3678-4c4f-bc8c-45b9802c2526_PAfpuKZy.jpeg
processed-026bab76-898c-4c0e-94bc-dd2300bcb520_o0fS6PKd.jpeg
processed-e11bd391-80af-409d-9497-eb38e555c4da_5YPGfnnZ.jpeg
processed-6e54fcc0-0792-459f-97be-8062df738fd7_enhPf57q.jpeg

No personal experience but I’m told these videos are helpful with regard to shooting organasol

Videos

I think you got exactly what you ordered. My recollection from the day is that its a textured paint that was not to be waxed and only washed with cold water and a soft cloth. No soap, car wash or detergents.

Yup, a sandpaper texture is correct. In various colors, it was used on the dash, column & upper windshield moldings. The idea was no gloss reflections.
Not sure why Chrysler also used it for flat black accents; if you got wax on it, that was a bear to remove.

Possibly, the paint was shot with too small of a fluid tip on an HVLP gun? It has to go on wet for it
to lay down flat without a sandpaper texture. Just my thoughts. I have to paint part of my hood
with something similar, so I'll be watching!

Its called "organisol" for a reason. If it was "flat, satin or semi-gloss" then that's what it'd be called !

that paint is a textured paint . were you looking for a satin black like the A12 hoods?

Screenshot_20220921-131211.png

Screenshot_20220921-131158.png

My 67 flat hood i shot with sem hot rod black.
It lays out smooth with a 1.4 laid a good wet coat of dp 90 down as a sealer 1st.
Wizard makes a spray and wipe protectant for after paint has cured.
No bird spots , sap comes off with soap and water.
All that aside you could 1500 the hood to smooth and lay a couple coats of ppg 3000 along with a mix in flatter, they have ratios for 50, 60 , up to 100 dead flat.
I would suggest a spray out card or two if you go that route. One plus to that is its sealed from elements just like any base clear.
Just tossing out ideas,
20220403_131643.jpg

Last edited:
Organisol is what you want to use to paint dashboards and such; as they are not glossy and have a matte textured finish.

My 67 flat hood i shot with sem hot rod black.
It lays out smooth with a 1.4 laid a good wet coat of dp 90 down as a sealer 1st.
Wizard makes a spray and wipe protectant for after paint has cured.
No bird spots , sap comes off with soap and water.
All that aside you could 1500 the hood to smooth and lay a couple coats of ppg 3000 along with a mix in flatter, they have ratios for 50, 60 , up to 100 dead flat.
I would suggest a spray out card or two if you go that route. One plus to that is its sealed from elements just like any base clear.
Just tossing out ideas,View attachment 1346330

I clean HR black with windex :thumbsup:

The dashes and stuff were electro statically coated "I believe ".
Whatever it was, worked damn good.

Didn't all A12 cars come painted with Organisol on their hoods from the factory as well?
Yes, they did.
No you don't !! The interior finish is NOT organisol
Nailed it. Organisol has a textured finish. It doesn't have a matte or suede finish and it did not get used on dashes. At least not from the factory...

When my guy repainted my original a12 hood I don't believe - in fact I'm pretty positive he didn't use organisol - I wanted to reproduce original look - but decided I didn't like it that rough and flat. I forget what we settled on but it has a slight gloss and is pretty smooth. Just my personal taste but I really love the way it turned out vs the Organisol look. If you like I can find out what exactly we ended up using. You may or may not like the gloss and smooth texture vs rough and completely flat.
B66A56F9-ED19-4070-882A-C1D00F9F50AA.jpeg

Any car show I have gone to each car with black will have something different on it rather than pay for Organisol. The difference makes a Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back