• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 300 - not that fast?

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I've seen countless times how the 1955 Chrysler 300, the first postwar car to boast 300 hp, was such a powerhouse in the day. It ruled Nascar, moonshiners loved them and etc etc etc. They were screaming fast luxury cars; expensive, exclusive gentleman's hot rod.

So I thought I'd look to the archives and see how they were originally perceived, before the varnish of time added to their glory and legend.

Turns out, I found a nice article from 1955 in Popular Science. And wow, what an amazing car. For the 1955 audience. Not for what we're used to though. Let me copy a few lines from the article:

'The car seems well-behaved, even docile. The automatic drive takes hold smoothly. Engine noise is low.
The 300 digs in
Then the roof falls in on you. The engine roars. You are plastered against the seat. If you have passengers aboard, their heads snap back. Fleetingly, you get the impression that you are blasting off in one of those TV spaceships.'

Sounds pretty impressive, until you find out that he's describing a 9.9 second 0-60 run. And what did the author think of this 9.9 second time?

'That's fast. It's impressive in an automobile weighing more than two tons and equipped with a torque-convertor drive.'

I wonder what a modern 300 would have done to that writer's head? :)

Here's the whole magazine if you want to take a little peek:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=WyY...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Perspective. Context. Were you alive in 55?

You have to consider the competition back then. I have one of the original 300's being neglected by its owner ( for over 25 years) on my property. What a shame and what a great car. If you are ever in my area I will take you for a ride in it. You will be very surprised at the power and speed of this land yacht. When both of those 4 barrel carbs open up you will think you are in a rocket ship, and when the 2 speed automatic transmission shifts into second gear most people will request me to slow down. I read an article on these cars at one time that said it will run 127mph (but not with me in there) lol. I was 7 in 1955 but they tell me that was fast in 1955. I attended the spring nationals in Indiana in the spring of 1966 prior to being in the Marines, I saw the Hemi Under Glass run there as well s many other fast for the times cars run. Then a few years ago I attended the Fram nationals in Atlanta and the cars were doing well over 300mph in a quarter mile. Twice as fast as the ones in 1966. So it is my opinion that comparing a 1955 car to one of the ones produced today is about the same as comparing an apple to an orange. I was not around back then, but my grandfather always told me a T-Model Ford would out run a horse. I believed him. I did put photos of that 300 on this web site although I can't locate them now.

I found the photos, they are at my post named....... " Chrysler 300 ??? "

Last edited:
My 71 torino GT 351C was marketed as a performance car, and was credited with a 7 second 0-60 time when new.

Perspective. Context. Were you alive in 55?

Hey, I fully realize it's all about perspective. That's why I said it was amazing...for the 1955 audience.

Nope, wasn't alive in 1955. I was born in 1957, when the quickest sedan was a Rambler Rebel. :)

I wonder what a pilot of a Sopwith Camel would think of an F-15.

That nearly happened during WWII- average speeds went from 80MPH to 300-400MPH.

That nearly happened during WWII- average speeds went from 80MPH to 300-400MPH.
actually the top speeds for some of the rocket planes where well over 500 mph.must have seemed like space ships when first seen by allied pilots.

Nice find, tallhair. Ya gotta admit, that Me 262 looks a lot more modern than a seventy year old car does.

Nice find, tallhair. Ya gotta admit, that Me 262 looks a lot more modern than a seventy year old car does.

Well it was and is unique and beautiful .. but there are unique and beautiful 70 year old cars too .. ever seen an allard?

It's all to do with your surroundings. I just took my Mustang for a drive in the country. WOT with nobody around. It's a high 13, low 14 car. It felt fast today. Last time I was at the track, beside 12 sec new 5L, I was feeling no pull.

20 years ago I had an 11 sec Road Runner. With most of the competition in the 14 second range, it was like owning a nuclear bomb.

Even as fast as the 300 is today. It's competition is a Cadillac CTS V, Pontiac G8, Taurus SHO. Right in the game.

Great thread. I get people saying "That must be fast" about my 318 Charger. I always say "No, not really" because I've driven modern cars for 20 years before I got my Mopar. Compared to even my 2007 truck, the Charger ain't a speed demon. But back in '74, it moved respectfully for a metal monster. And as we all know, whether you get up to speed quickly or not so much, it's the sound, the feel of hitting the gas in these great cars that matters.

I'm a big Me 262 (and 163 Komet) fan. They had some CRAZY tech that didn't do them much good (including helicopters).

I meant average production craft (although I concede the 262 did see limited use towards the end, and the 262/F15 analogy works well).

- - - Updated - - -

...and my 3800# 170 HP 318 Satellite keeps up with (and passes a lot of) today's traffic just fine.

I'm a big Me 262 (and 163 Komet) fan. They had some CRAZY tech that didn't do them much good (including helicopters).

I meant average production craft (although I concede the 262 did see limited use towards the end, and the 262/F15 analogy works well).

- - - Updated - - -

...and my 3800# 170 HP 318 Satellite keeps up with (and passes a lot of) today's traffic just fine.

Have you seen the GO-229 German stealth jet? Flying prototypes got off the ground before the war ended. It was built to defeat British radar at the time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJzKjtjZnY

Auto Transport Service
Back