• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original black ghost 1970 challenger for sale at auction.

As always at an auction, it depends on how many people want it. One-x dollars, two people, maybe 2x dollars. Lots of people? Lots of x-dollars.

Why would anybody wish such ill will on another person selling their own car without knowing that persons situation? Hoping the sale tanks and that he hates himself for selling it? What the f? Bitterness, envy, what is it?

maybe they should put some charger badging on it! certainly get more money! LMAO

Hagerty certainly helped hype the car 2 years ago, but it is a great story that needs nothing extra. Cop buys hottest car, goes street racing, and fades into the background.

I hope the family gets a good price for the car. Owning a car like that can be difficult for non-car people. Heck, I pay somewhere close to $1k a year for $150k of car value across my vintage cars. Don’t know what you’ll pay for $1M of car value, but it adds up. Security system, climate controlled garage, etc. Overwhelming maybe for the noephite.

They still have the pictures and the memories.

No envy here, but this just confirms that the kids DON’T care. Like successful restaurants, the kids sell the property. Wear out your fun cars, I will try. Kids can’t wait to list the HC, and the 69. Sentiment ****, they just want the $$$.

I hope the family gets a **** load of money, no one knows there situation. I will be there in person to see it will be selling my 62 biarritz there, and camping at the fair grounds all week. Pretty cool to see cars of all levels go thru

It could be that they're tired of the burden of having the car, too. Once they went public with it, does anyone think they've had any peace? I bet all kinds of people have come out of the woodwork trying to get them to sell it. I talked to the owner of the Bullitt Mustang at MCACN when it was there (also hyping the Mecum auction). I got the impression that he was a little worn out from all of the publicity after that car surfaced. He still had the attachment to it, but I think he was just ready to get back to a normal life.

I agree with selling it if the son isn't a car guy! kids are all different,my youngest is a mechanic and mopar lover! my oldest is a cook and prefers a good guitar or mandolin! my youngest would sell his house and move to mine and do all the work involved with maintaining it, the other would sell it because of the work involved and buy every instrument he could find!

I think this will add to the final gavel drop.

black-ghosts.jpg

Legendary Dodge Challenger 'Black Ghost' street racer resurrected with 807 hp

No envy here, but this just confirms that the kids DON’T care. Like successful restaurants, the kids sell the property. Wear out your fun cars, I will try. Kids can’t wait to list the HC, and the 69. Sentiment ****, they just want the $$$.
Already thinned the herd with this in mind. My daughter grew up in Baby Blue. Great car, great story. At the end of the day, all she cared about was that the car was worth 20 times what I paid for it in 1983. So I passed the GTX to someone who I knew would carry the torch while I still had the ability to do so. I would have preferred a different outcome, but you can't control your car's destiny after you're gone.

It'll go a million + and if it does good for them.

While I like the idea of my Son or Daughter hanging on to at least my Bee for a third generation succession... it's not logistically probable and I know that. That's why I've already taken the time to put the documentation and all costs and history of every car into their own binder. Most spare parts are tagged as to what they are for and what they are worth and they have the web address and my password to this fine forum to sell everything. It's my lifestyle after all, not theirs!

This is the Mecum at Indy. The Community Property State I live in means Linda gets everything if I die first. Likely. So, HER kids will get the pile and the cars. They will frenzy to make a trip to California to disburse. The HC is willed to a friend. He just has to outlive me. Can’t take toys, and once gone have zero to say. Or care.

I'll tell you why the bad taste in some of our mouths. I like others absolutely love these cars. I have never sold a car to profit from it, I only sell them to move on to something better. Over the years I've seen BSers hype these cars so they can profit from it, they have no love of the cars and are just shysters. The cars go for inflated prices to spoiled brats who store them away to impress someone(?) and are never driven or viewed by true grassroots enthusiasts again. Meanwhile a lot of enthusiasts are pushed out of owning one of these cars.
This car was Hyped as a great street racer in it's area, well in my area we had a bunch of street racers that had pretty big reputations too so I don't see the big deal. The big deal with this car is that it has been fairly well preserved and somewhat loved by it's original owner. That will be gone now as it moves to a different family, Sort of like bolting an NOS part on your car and painting it, now it's just another part.
Personally I never would have sold something that meant so much to my Dad, never.
Of course this car belongs to the heir and they can certainly do what they want with it and it's none of anyone else's business. However when you start bragging on it and then sell it a short time later it starts to looks like it was all done to max your profit.
I think people who comment "I hope it sells for 2 million dollars" or whatever probably own their cars so they can also sell them at a high price in the near future. Jeez if the cash is that important to you maybe run a cathouse or something instead.

I didnt watch any of the videos but when I think street racer pedigree I think used up by the end, crazy mods like tubs, tunnel hacked for the Lenco, gutted etc not survivor. Are there any photos from "back in the day"?
Cool car no doubt.

agree 100% with runcharger,well thought out bullshit story hyped up to hike price, every lawyer knows a good story sell's and who say's a father's love can't be bought or sold

This car was Hyped as a great street racer in it's area, well in my area we had a bunch of street racers that had pretty big reputations too so I don't see the big deal. The big deal with this car is that it has been fairly well preserved and somewhat loved by it's original owner.

I can agree with this portion of what you said.

I didnt watch any of the videos but when I think street racer pedigree I think used up by the end, crazy mods like tubs, tunnel hacked for the Lenco, gutted etc not survivor. Are there any photos from "back in the day"?
Cool car no doubt.

Better yet, do any older members here from the Windy City ever remember seeing or hearing about this "legendary" car prior to the big hype?

If I was into virtue signaling, I’d have a “I’ve never sold a car for a profit“ sign made up to put next to a “Hate has no home here“ sign. :rofl:
I‘m sure all my neighbors and everyone who drove by would be so impressed with me!
A late friend of mine had a Challenger T/A and hemi cuda, they both still sit in his garage 2 years after he died, the family probably won’t sell them anytime soon, but they don’t get used and won’t. I fully expect Ryan Brutt to do one of his “barn finds“ videos on them around the year 2030 give or take. They dont have car covers on the cars, so they will have an impressive layer of dust on them by then!
The airport I fly out of had a derelict piper Cherokee sitting on the ramp forever. One day a violent storm hit and it got torn loose from its tiedown, flipped over, and soon got hauled off to the scrapyard.
A friend of mine is an A&P mechanic and told me the story of the plane. It was a pilots pride and joy. He passed, and the widow couldn‘t bear to sell her husband’s plane. Though not a pilot, she even paid a mechanic friend of my friends to maintain the plane for a time, like annuals. But it just sat for years and years, and then deteriorated, then got destroyed by the storm.
If her late husband is “looking down from the great beyond“ is he pleased with the fate of his beloved plane?
We are caretakers for our toys and when we are gone, they need to go on to the next good caretaker, whether that be family or a stranger.
Do your family a favor and leave them smaller maintenance-free mementos to remember you by. My favorite momento from my late dad isn’t a car or plane, it’s a meteorite he bought for some reason, then it just sat on a shelf with a bunch of odds and ends. He was impulsive like that often, and seeing the meteorite in my house reminds me of him daily.

Better yet, do any older members here from the Windy City ever remember seeing or hearing about this "legendary" car prior to the big hype?
I missed the part of the cars story where the owner brought it to Chicago from Detroit to street race? I was a little kid at the time but I’ll be sure to ask my friends around here who are older if they remember seeing it show up at Skips and race behind the old IH plant by there or other places racing went on here back in the day!

Looks like they hauled it to Florida to show it around and increase hype.

99757284-1DF1-4E58-937B-984FAB11A2D6.png

Auto Transport Service
Back