• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original black ghost 1970 challenger for sale at auction.

I have a number of cars.

If my kid keeps one, and she loves them all, I'd be thrilled.

If she can sell 1 or more for life changing money, the kind of money that can have lasting effects, change her children's lives, better yet.

I would never burden her with my life choices or wishes.

I have a number of cars.

If she can sell 1 or more for life changing money, the kind of money that can have lasting effects, change her children's lives, better yet.

Word!

I have a number of cars.

Our car passion is not necessarily our kids passion. Sad, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Just seen that it is up for sale:

I've seen the video on youtube and IIRC his father told him while dying he should never sell the car so that surprised me a lot.
I absolutely agree with some of the comments. If the son is not desperate and has no other choice then he is a major douchebag.
I would never do that. Especially since its one of the greatest cars money can buy. I mean if i was in his situation i would not even sell it without my dad telling me not to. Safe to say he will never be able to buy another car where he knows the history to this extent. As i said, if he is not desperate for money then the guy is moron. :D

I would hope that NO Father takes that tact with their children. If you do. .. well I have no respect for you! With my Father it was just a car, damaged and in the garage that I spent more than a few years talking him into letting me get back out. I have already had that "talk" with my Son, "anything mean a LOT to you before I sell it off". How about the Bird... anything.. "NO". Bee, "maybe since it's been here before I was born". So in other words, it's up to him when that day comes. It certainly won't matter to me at that point...

Last edited:
I have already that "talk" with my Son, "anything mean a LOT to you before I sell it off". How about the Bird... anything.. "NO".

Hard to believe someone turns down a nice car that most people will never be able to afford. But i believe it.

It costs a lot to look after and care for something like that.

Hard to believe someone turns down a nice car that most people will never be able to afford. But i believe it.
He is fully conversant as to what it is worth! He has ZERO personal attachment to it, and when it comes right down to it either do I. As for the Bee, he know's it was his Grandfather's, mine since I was 17 years old in '79. His Mother and I were married in it in '82 and he's spent his entire life around it, hell he was conceived in the back seat! If he decides to sell it after I'm gone, so be it. I can't pass on car affection... Same deal with our youngest Daughter, they don't even have a garage currently... we'll see where that goes. The Superbird was our Daughter Jennifer's favourite car and well, she's up on the fireplace mantle so that's probably part of the other two's thoughts.

It costs a lot to look after and care for something like that.

I agree.
If you're not willing to work on your car (or at least know exactly what you're looking at and have your own mechanic
doing the work for you) i would advise to just buy a late model ~500hp and up challenger/charger with the widebody and have fun.
You will save yourself a lot of "classic car shop" initiated headaches.
Its not as cool as an old one but a permanent smile is still part of the standard equipment. :D
I know since i drove both a 2017 challenger srt 392 and hellcat. Both WITHOUT widebody which is why i say get the widebody. :D
Unless you're going for high speed autobahn runs i would rather get the 392 with widebody than the hellcat without.

I have followed this thread with a deep personal interest, after spending 50 years of my life chasing, and finally capturing, a high end "legacy Mopar." Along the way, I've gotten myriad insights into how different folks view this process that binds those of us on this forum together. Needs, wants, and expectations vary widely.

Back in the day, when I first got to drive the car I would pursue for a lifetime, my dad expressed puzzlement at the attraction. To him, it was nothing more that an upscale family car, bigger and faster than what he drove, but nothing but a waste of resources in the end. My wife shared his sentiment, when my first GTX entered our life.

Twenty years ago, when I uncovered the "Demonstrator," I asked Rob Clark (son of the original owner) if he wanted first crack at it. He declined, saying the story would be better if I got it. This from the guy who came of age in the car, passed his license exam in it. He still wanted the Hemi Road Runner, he had never driven, but not the car that had been his father's for 15 years.

Baby Blue, the GTX I owned twice, and my daughter grew up in, was nothing more than a financial asset to her, so I converted the car into other financial assets while I had the chance. My current car carries a rich history, both with me, and others who came before. I'm passing it to a close friend who appreciates it and will carry the torch, but I am exceptionally fortunate to be in that position, and I'm not talking about a possibly half million dollar car.

The "Demonstrator" shaped my life, and is a rolling monument to how I became who I am, but my family has no interest in keeping the car as a memorial, and the costs of preservation would be a burden rather than blessing. I can't fault the family for selling the Black Ghost.

Old street-racers in Detroit, know which cars are legendary. This ain't one of them. Many small-block cars would have smashed this thing. Wonder what made it so quick/legendary?

Just seen that it is up for sale:
[/URL]

I've seen the video on youtube and IIRC his father told him while dying he should never sell the car so that surprised me a lot.
I absolutely agree with some of the comments. If the son is not desperate and has no other choice then he is a major douchebag.
I would never do that. Especially since its one of the greatest cars money can buy. I mean if i was in his situation i would not even sell it without my dad telling me not to. Safe to say he will never be able to buy another car where he knows the history to this extent. As i said, if he is not desperate for money then the guy is moron. :D

I would hope that NO Father takes that tact with their children. If you do. .. well I have no respect for you! With my Father it was just a car, damaged and in the garage that I spent more than a few years talking him into letting me get back out. I have already that "talk" with my Son, "anything mean a LOT to you before I sell it off". How about the Bird... anything.. "NO". Bee, "maybe since it's been here before I was born". So in other words, it's up to him when that day comes. It certainly won't matter to me at that point...
Pretty much what I said.

Screw this prick. All he saw was dollar signs. I hope if he gets the chance to meet his father in heaven he gets his teeth knocked in.

IIRC his father, on his death bed, said "Don't give it away." That could mean if you have to sell it get a good price for it.

It's not ours to make the decision, it's his to do what he wants. If his father didn't want him to have it he would have taken the means to keep him from getting it. Hopefully someone gets it who will appreciate it and be the next caretaker.

I am so grateful that mine will be in good hands once Im gone.

My girls like my car almost as much as I do.

My oldest is the one driving it.,,,,And my youngest is the one proudly standing guard over it at a show, that she drove it to and back home that day

20220509_174339.jpg

Allisons-Ride.jpg

Old street-racers in Detroit, know which cars are legendary. This ain't one of them. Many small-block cars would have smashed this thing. Wonder what made it so quick/legendary?
Some young journalist with nothing better to do than get all excited over a story about a black cop and his old race car. It doesn't take much to whip up a frenzy if you know how to pen a good story.

This car has gained more notoriety in the last 3 months than in the previous 52 years.

I am so grateful that mine will be in good hands once Im gone.

My girls like my car almost as much as I do.

My oldest is the one driving it.,,,,And my youngest is the one proudly standing guard over it at a show, that she drove it to and back home that day

View attachment 1452409

View attachment 1452410

I think you should give her 35 bucks for a new pair of slacks.

Auto Transport Service
Back