• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original black ghost 1970 challenger for sale at auction.

Too much-fabricated hype, to bring bidders in

So the Mecum auction co., advertising & promoting it
& having a paid "security gaurd" to stand by it every auction until it does sell
& the kid who inherited it
Who will no doubt get way, way more $$$ than, what it is truly worth

Marketing 101, hype

That does not diminish or disrespect the father's service,
LEO or Military

It's a cool car

but IMO
"allegedly" it's all highly exaggerated/fabricated tall tales
3rd hand or 4th hand info "legends" hearsay, stories now
for the cars of that day, in that local, "to be one of the fastest"
I highly doubt that, not as it sits, it's not...

Hype for the auction & sale
again Marketing 101 get more interest in the car
stretch the truth &/or expand the legend...

hell look how many threads about the car
or videos have been posted on here alone
interest & hype, the tale grows/expands

don't get me wrong, it is still a cool car &
I'll still watch to see what it goes for

Last edited:
Just curious? Has anyone on this site ever "kicked" themselves for selling a favored Mopar? I know I sure have, several times....sometimes you still have to do it.

Just curious? Has anyone on this site ever "kicked" themselves for selling a favored Mopar? I know I sure have, several times....sometimes you still have to do it.
No but I almost kicked my uncles *** for trying to sell one. I know it’s not the most sought after, the most desirable, the most whatever. But my great grandfather bought this 78 LRE brand new at Lopp Chrysler dodge, in dodge city Kansas. My uncle bought it from him in 2002. In 2015 he said nobodies driving it so it’s time to sell it. I told him nobody knew we could. After a year I finally got his stupid *** to sell it to me. And after 3 years of payments, I finally own it. It finally has a good home, and it ain’t leaving. 54k miles, 90% original, only wear items and carburetor have been changed.

E5F3ABB3-F148-428F-A58E-616AD59C0C91.jpeg

Well its one of the fastest factory street cars of the day. It's also very good looking and comfy.
If you want even faster acceleration, handling etc. it's not the right car to buy obviously.
Then you need to customize a 318 challenger or something like that.

If i had jay leno money i would have both a stock 71 426 hemi cuda and a pro touring one.
Or maybe a stock 71 hemi cuda and a pro touring 69 camaro.
Did they build any plumcrazy purple 71 hemi cudas with the white vinyl interior and ideally also white vinyl top?
There would not be a better looking pony car for sure. :)

Some young journalist with nothing better to do than get all excited over a story about a black cop and his old race car. It doesn't take much to whip up a frenzy if you know how to pen a good story.

This car has gained more notoriety in the last 3 months than in the previous 52 years.
It never had notoriety previously. All this drama is comical.

No but I almost kicked my uncles *** for trying to sell one. I know it’s not the most sought after, the most desirable, the most whatever. But my great grandfather bought this 78 LRE brand new at Lopp Chrysler dodge, in dodge city Kansas. My uncle bought it from him in 2002. In 2015 he said nobodies driving it so it’s time to sell it. I told him nobody knew we could. After a year I finally got his stupid *** to sell it to me. And after 3 years of payments, I finally own it. It finally has a good home, and it ain’t leaving. 54k miles, 90% original, only wear items and carburetor have been changed.

View attachment 1452796
Who the hell would own one of those?

Holy crap.
Guess I should start making stories
About some of my junk.

I heard about the story about 10 years ago when I was starting my charger resto, A friend of mine who was a test driver a chelsea proving grounds brought it up with a couple other street racing stories. amazes me how people feel jealous over someone elses good fortunes. Oh well if that makes them feel better.

I heard about the story about 10 years ago when I was starting my charger resto, A friend of mine who was a test driver a chelsea proving grounds brought it up with a couple other street racing stories. amazes me how people feel jealous over someone elses good fortunes. Oh well if that makes them feel better.
I’m not jealous over anyone. I’m pissed at every sob that only cares about money, and doesn’t care about the family car, or any car for that matter. People have gotten so damn greedy these days

I’m getting the shits of hearing about it.

I’m not jealous over anyone. I’m pissed at every sob that only cares about money, and doesn’t care about the family car, or any car for that matter. People have gotten so damn greedy these days
I get it but that kinda of money could be used to do alot of good things for that family but the odds are it probably wont

Yes, Multiple times.
Ive tried to locate my former GTX vert ( the one with an auto , on the right ) and so far Ive got crickets

I know where the 4spd car is ( one on the left ) and now owned by a friend of mine in NJ

pairofgtxs.jpg

I'm glad I don't need to make **** up, my Bee is Legendary in the Ottawa Valley. I still have a couple of old retired cops that message me on facebook "I'll catch you yet" ... LOL

Last edited:
I guestimated 1 million,I was pretty close. Back in the day my 70 Sixpack Charger R/T was street raced by Frank Sinatra on the Vegas strip,and anyone who.talked about it went swimming with the fishes with a 440 engine block chained around their neck! Frank wanted to change the name of his song to I beat your *** my way! Coming soon to Mecum auction!

Auto Transport Service
Back