• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Stuff, Their Junk

If you need someone to leave all your stuff to, since I am now an orphan, I can easily be adopted.

:thumbsup:
I always liked the idea of giving out stun guns to all my friends and the last one left standing at my funeral gets his choice!:thumbsup::luvplace:

Daughters more interested in my cars,Son is into Jeeps.Nothing wrong with that
Daughter drives a new Challenger RT & I
mean Drives it.
Have to teach her how to handle my 486 Hemi
4spd.There goes the clutch!

Daughters more interested in my cars,Son is into Jeeps.Nothing wrong with that
Daughter drives a new Challenger RT & I
mean Drives it.
Have to teach her how to handle my 486 Hemi
4spd.There goes the clutch!

Can't wait to see it!!

My mom passed 3 years ago ( at 93) and my dad almost 20 years ago. It took my siblings and me about 2 years to empty mom's house. Like RC said, it was eerie going in and looked like she was just out for the day. My opinion is that "stuff" falls into 3 categories; actual cash value, sentimental value and just possessions accumulated in day to day life that no one else wants or needs. What bucket to put stuff into is a matter of opinion. Cash value is obvious. But sentimental value and "just possessions" are a personal opinion. As an example, when my parents bought the house they lived in 40 years ago, I stained and varnished a set of matching handmade wooden book cases that stood in their dining room for those 40 years. They were in excellent condition. None of my siblings had any interest in them but they mean something to me so I took them and put them in my man cave. I look at them every day now and it brings a smile to my face. There was also a set of encyclopedias on them that I took ( yes, pre Google). Maybe we used the decision making process to prolong us emptying the house and accepting the finality of their being gone, but we all took the stuff that meant the most to us and more than half of the rest was donated to charity. But the rest of the "just possessions" went into the dumpster and we didn't feel bad about it.

As for my "stuff" when I go, I know my son and daughter would want my car, gun collection, watches, some tools, etc. They will have to divide it fairly and I'm sure they will be amicable about it. Finance wise, the wife needs to be taken care of first, then them and then grandchildren if/when I have any. Hopefully, the kids will be self sufficient and not planning on an inheritance to make it and I'm confident that will be the case. But I own good income producing real estate and know my kids have learned the value of it. I would hope they keep it as a family legacy to produce wealth for future generations but that is a decision they will make when I'm gone. As for the rest of the stuff, they'll decide what to keep and what to toss. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

My dad died 11 years ago & my mom 6 years ago. My dad had gotten rid of his things of value (sold his NH cottage & boats years earlier), so there wasn't really anything left of his that was of any value. My mom had cleaned out his clothes and stuff by herself. When my mom died, besides being sad, it was very strange going to her house. The house looked like mom had just stepped out to the store, but we all knew that mom would never come back. That was a very sad and eerie time. Anyway, when it came time to clean out the house and put it on the market, all her clothes went into the Goodwill box & all of the furniture was donated to charity & all that was left in the house was a couple pieces of jewelry, some small momentous and a bunch of pictures, which my brother, sister & I divvied up. It got me to thinking how sad it is to think that the end of one's life comes down to most all of one's worldly possessions being donated to charity and Goodwill and what no one else wants ends up in a dumpster. All these pictures we have from my parents Of them and when I was young) won't mean anything to my kids & most of our stuff too will end up in the dumpster.

I'm having fun with my toys now, but as Kern Dog said, once you hit 60 you've only got 15 years or so of good living left & I'll just sell off my stuff at that time (or before) so as not to burden my kids with that chore & just give them the money.

RC,
I sat here reading your story and it took me back. I could have written your story, sounds like a repeat of mine times 2. My parents and my wife's. Well said and written!....... Ulli

When it's all said and done, I'm still a lucky man. We all have a **** story but, at the end of the day, we will Let The Horses Run, because that's what we do!!! You all are great and a family is born!!! Thanks for all the great heart felt stories..... "HEY-O"

Some Items I will get rid of/sell/give away when I with Gods will get that old. Anything else the children will know what to do or if I have any specific wishes. Anyone who does not have a valid legal done by a attorney is making a mistake. Anyone who thinks that there getting back at family by not leaving them personal property is also making a mistake.
You will leave this world as you came in and hope you are at peace with Jesus Christ Almighty. I say hope because we will all have to answer.
My father on his death bed was not coherent at one point. He tossed and turned and pulled at his pajamas, trying to rip them off.
I didn't know what to make of it and eventually he was given a sedative. I later on learned this was not a unusual thing, maybe some of you had the same experience with a loved one who was about to pass.
What I did learn was my father was making the transition into the next world. He in effect had one foot still in this world and one in the next.
You dont take anything into that world, the only thing that goes is your soul.
Its my thought a Rabbi can elaborate further, but these are my beliefs.

Some Items I will get rid of/sell/give away when I with Gods will get that old. Anything else the children will know what to do or if I have any specific wishes. Anyone who does not have a valid legal done by a attorney is making a mistake. Anyone who thinks that there getting back at family by not leaving them personal property is also making a mistake.
You will leave this world as you came in and hope you are at peace with Jesus Christ Almighty. I say hope because we will all have to answer.
My father on his death bed was not coherent at one point. He tossed and turned and pulled at his pajamas, trying to rip them off.
I didn't know what to make of it and eventually he was given a sedative. I later on learned this was not a unusual thing, maybe some of you had the same experience with a loved one who was about to pass.
What I did learn was my father was making the transition into the next world. He in effect had one foot still in this world and one in the next.
You dont take anything into that world, the only thing that goes is your soul.
Its my thought a Rabbi can elaborate further, but these are my beliefs.

Steve ,
You have a good heart, don't change!!

For anybody with unappreciative kids or no kids - I am available for adoption. Lol

Luckily, I don't have to think about this stuff for myself for quite a few more years. When my grandparents died, I took lots of stuff that others considered junk. I don't have much of a relationship with my mom. (I'll just say she's a piece of work).

I was raised to be appreciative of people and thankful for any and all help received. My son was raised with similar values. Whatever junk I have laying around, I'm sure he'll be happy to go thru it when my time comes. He hopes to get an old car one day. The good news is that he's a Mopar kid.

My dad will be 69 this year. Only a few in our lineage has gone past 75. He doesn't have much money, but lots of stuff. He's already told me his coin collection (valued about 50k) gets split between the grandkids, then get a dumpster for everything else. His words, not mine. My sister is only out for the money. I was helping my dad with setting up his will and finances. He wanted life insurance policy. I told him he didn't need a big policy, just enough to pay his final expenses. My sister got frustrated that he took out such a minimal policy. Her and I get virtually nothing from him financially.
Speaking of sisters....she and dad never got along. She's been pissed off all of her life because when mom passed on in 63, my sister got ripped away from high school friends and mom's side of the family (who accused dad of killing mom....she had a brain aneurysm) and then we moved to the south shortly after when dad's job decided to move to NY from MASS. Dad's family lived mostly in TX and one of his brothers offered him a job building houses so to TX we went. Sis took her frustrations out on me for many years (she was 16 and I was 12) and fought with dad a lot. When dad passed on in 98, sis came to me at the funeral and asked what he left behind. They didn't speak at all for the last 10 years of his life so all I did was nod at the 95 Dakota that he left and said "that's pretty much all he left that's worth anything" and she just scoffed and said "don't want that". Then told her she was more than welcome to pick through his apartment for anything that she might want and she didn't like that suggestion either. Around last Thanksgiving, she got mad at me (for the last time) for something that she thought I said. Her name should be Cranky lol

Speaking of sisters....she and dad never got along. She's been pissed off all of her life because when mom passed on in 63, my sister got ripped away from high school friends and mom's side of the family (who accused dad of killing mom....she had a brain aneurysm) and then we moved to the south shortly after when dad's job decided to move to NY from MASS. Dad's family lived mostly in TX and one of his brothers offered him a job building houses so to TX we went. Sis took her frustrations out on me for many years (she was 16 and I was 12) and fought with dad a lot. When dad passed on in 98, sis came to me at the funeral and asked what he left behind. They didn't speak at all for the last 10 years of his life so all I did was nod at the 95 Dakota that he left and said "that's pretty much all he left that's worth anything" and she just scoffed and said "don't want that". Then told her she was more than welcome to pick through his apartment for anything that she might want and she didn't like that suggestion either. Around last Thanksgiving, she got mad at me (for the last time) for something that she thought I said. Her name should be Cranky lol
It's funny how people are when greed kicks in. Not your fault, don't forget that!!

One of the most important words in the English language is : balance.
If my late father had a sense of humor, it was wry one.
He once ask me if I was going to "tear down and build bigger barns".
Just don't do that.

My kids are 8, 10 & 12 so until they're grown and found their path in life I won't know. I won't hang on to it that's for sure, if the kids aren't interested hopefully I'll find some young enthusiast to dump it on but in my case I'm not one to hoard things I'll never use... no junk.

In going to need an asbestos suit for where I'm going when I leave this world.

images.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back