• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Stuff, Their Junk

Yes, that's why my lawyer makes a very good living . You guys get it!!! Again, well done!!

Protection is a built in necessity. It makes things so easy and clear cut. The more you cut it up and this and that, the lawyers make more money writing up a will like that. Other than a touch up to it once in awhile, it's a one time deal, God willing!!

Never forget litigation either. 3 kids dividing up m-in-law house sale. 3 couples had to sign paperwork ( Ohio) , so that no lawsuit later on. Yup,6 people had to sign!

Why always we have a brother/sister that is mad at us? I know that because of a loud ( yes during sex she was loud ) girlfriend that i have in my late 20's my sis got mad at me, at that time my sis lived in my house, but she's still mad at me 15 years later, I know am not an angel, but when my dad dies, I offer her peace, she says that too much time has passed so there's no chance of a reconciliation for us, am not gonna apologize for having sex is like apologize for being a man; anyway I say hi to my sister every time I saw her weather she answer me or not.
I've reached out to her many times over the years but she always reads more into the things that I say and she finds new ways to stay pissed off at me. She'll be 72 in May and I'll be 68 and well, I'm done. Her temper gets worse and worse as she gets older and I'm tired of taking her crap. Just within the last year she finally admitted to taking her frustrations out on me when we were younger but also called me insane for bringing it up.....imo, she's still taking her frustrations out on me.

Timely topic. My mother in law passed on Labor Day and my wife and her brother had to deal with the house and contents. Mom and Dad had already emptied the attic and sold off, or gave away, most of the big ticket items. Mom was a thrifty woman who had absolutely every cabinet and drawer filled with multiples of all types of things. You name it, she had it. it took them almost two weeks to get it all out and gone. Food items with expiration dates from years ago....etc.
We have learned from that experience and have been systematically reducing our stuff down to minimums. Everything goes to our son Tim, or friends for specific items like my wife's quilting stuff and everything in my garage. Tim has flat out told us he will immediately sell this land and home and everything left in it. He has zero interest in living here. he has zero interest in anything in the house except for a very few items. We have made specific plans for all of our animals too since some of them will outlive us for sure. Wills, trusts and other instruments are regularly updated/changed. Do your family a favor and downsize. Also do them another favor and dispose of any letters, diaries, or correspondence that say anything you don't wish your children to read. It is exceedingly hurtful to read that sort of stuff after your gone. Mom didn't, and it hurt Lynn and Mark very much to find out what she really felt. "Be nice, put that **** on ice."
My dad was sort of a minimalist and taking care of his stuff when he passed on was very easy as he got rid of most of it a few years before passing including his house....like he knew his time was short.

It's obviously not any fun to live so frugally that your heirs have zero to do after you die. But there are many things that you can do to make it easier on them, especially in the money department.
Mom & Dad had a lot of wealth tied up in investments and since Mom was the last to die she should have notified her portfolio manager to make arrangements for my wife to step in seamlessly rather than have to wait a year for probate to occur. That entire year there will be no moving money into or out of the markets because of this. The monies in accounts in banks was withdrawn and dispersed for whatever needs that had arisen. She just could have made it much, much easier for her children.
Luckily Lynn got Mom to sign a POA while she was lucid so that the cars and Home could be dealt with right away. it's NOT a case of " We want the MONEY NOW!" sort of thing, it is just that having everything worked out in advance allows the people left behind to settle everything and get on with life and the grieving process. Sucks to have to deal with stuff AGAIN in a years time when probate clears Especially when a home and land are tied up.

And so, I got lucky and added to the “stash” for someone else to deal with! 1945 Colt frame w/RemingtonRand slide from the CMP. Rebuilt in May,’78 at Augusta arsenal by Marines. Gotta love the symmetry.

DDBB4399-FCE2-44EA-9F98-500A727CC3F8.jpeg 3DAEE067-BEF7-4132-ADD9-3718D91E1CBD.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back