• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Stuff, Their Junk

In going to need an asbestos suit for where I'm going when I leave this world.
I think I know someone who has just what you're looking for.

balsam6.jpg

Speaking of sisters....she and dad never got along. She's been pissed off all of her life because when mom passed on in 63, my sister got ripped away from high school friends and mom's side of the family (who accused dad of killing mom....she had a brain aneurysm) and then we moved to the south shortly after when dad's job decided to move to NY from MASS. Dad's family lived mostly in TX and one of his brothers offered him a job building houses so to TX we went. Sis took her frustrations out on me for many years (she was 16 and I was 12) and fought with dad a lot. When dad passed on in 98, sis came to me at the funeral and asked what he left behind. They didn't speak at all for the last 10 years of his life so all I did was nod at the 95 Dakota that he left and said "that's pretty much all he left that's worth anything" and she just scoffed and said "don't want that". Then told her she was more than welcome to pick through his apartment for anything that she might want and she didn't like that suggestion either. Around last Thanksgiving, she got mad at me (for the last time) for something that she thought I said. Her name should be Cranky lol
Why always we have a brother/sister that is mad at us? I know that because of a loud ( yes during sex she was loud ) girlfriend that i have in my late 20's my sis got mad at me, at that time my sis lived in my house, but she's still mad at me 15 years later, I know am not an angel, but when my dad dies, I offer her peace, she says that too much time has passed so there's no chance of a reconciliation for us, am not gonna apologize for having sex is like apologize for being a man; anyway I say hi to my sister every time I saw her weather she answer me or not.

Last edited:
Why always we have a brother/sister that is mad at us? I know that because of a loud ( yes during sex she was loud ) girlfriend that i have in my late 20's my sis got mad at me, at that time my sis lived in my house, but she's still mad at me 15 years later, I know am not an angel, but I when my dad dies I offer her peace, she says that too much time has passed so there's no chance of a reconciliation for us, am not gonna apologize for having sex is like apologize for being a man; anyway I say hi to my sister every time I saw her weather she answer me or not.

Sis sounds like a real peach.

Needed to replace a 3 way light switch in the house this weekend. Something in the back of my mind said I have one. I went and bought a new one anyway. Replaced it and when I was was putting my tools away I ran across the one I thought I had plus two more. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Needed to replace a 3 way light switch in the house this weekend. Something in the back of my mind said I have one. I went and bought a new one anyway. Replaced it and when I was was putting my tools away I ran across the one I thought I had plus two more. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
And out of those three, I bet one is used.

Save them all; never know when you’ll need one!!!!

I've done that enough times that I look before I buy another yet I don't find it until I buy a new one... aggravating. Focusing on organizing right now so things are easier to find lol.

Last edited:
Interesting topic for sure.
I turned 41 last month and I started thinking about some of this as well, like if Im really and I mean really honest with myself, well its half over for me but realistically Im probably 2/3's through my time here and that seems depressing. Cant imagine how some of y'all feel lol. Im just kidding!
I have 6 & 9 year old boys and at their age they just like everything I do lol so time will tell on who will want what. I do like the ideas you have with getting rid of things so your better half wont have to deal with it, Im putting that idea on the back burner for a later day.
If I could offer some advice from my grandmother passing a couple years ago it will save everyone a lot of headaches and fighting. Dont leave everything to everyone for them to decide how to split it up (that happens more than you think I have found out), I know grandmas intentions were good but it just made a mess of everything. She left a cottage, prime real estate 200 year old house in town (that my parents now live in) and 360 acres of land to 3 siblings, there was no stipulation on how it was to be divided, passed out, sold or anything like that, all it did was anger everyone who didnt feel they were getting a fair piece of the pie, And it still has not been finalized yet.
I look at things differently than most do these days, well I think I do anyway lol, I dont have much money and can keep scraping by until , I dont ask for much from anyone either, I dont need or want much from my folks when they pass, the only thing I really want is the memories, and hopefully those dont get taken from me. Cheesy eh but its the truth.

Yea, I figured that, I just didn't want you to think I thought of you as a total pack rat.
LMFAO :rofl:

I work at it, I really do. I'm actually pretty organized and very clutter conscious. Hell I just gave a friend a spare full set of car dollies just to get them out of the way.
But then when ever my wife comes out to the shop the first thing she says is "you've got allot of ****".
She just doesn't realize that it all gets used except for the box that I keep the extra light switches in.

Along with doing wills,the wife and I started doing what is called "Transfer on Death" here in Nevada.We have our 2 daughters listed on all documents/titles as co-owners.The case being if one or both of us I pass, say in a accident or what ever, no probate,taxes or that kind of stuff will hinder ownership.May not be legal in all states or Canada.A older man passed just up the street from us and it took 5 years to settle his affairs with his family members even with him having a will.

Timely topic. My mother in law passed on Labor Day and my wife and her brother had to deal with the house and contents. Mom and Dad had already emptied the attic and sold off, or gave away, most of the big ticket items. Mom was a thrifty woman who had absolutely every cabinet and drawer filled with multiples of all types of things. You name it, she had it. it took them almost two weeks to get it all out and gone. Food items with expiration dates from years ago....etc.
We have learned from that experience and have been systematically reducing our stuff down to minimums. Everything goes to our son Tim, or friends for specific items like my wife's quilting stuff and everything in my garage. Tim has flat out told us he will immediately sell this land and home and everything left in it. He has zero interest in living here. he has zero interest in anything in the house except for a very few items. We have made specific plans for all of our animals too since some of them will outlive us for sure. Wills, trusts and other instruments are regularly updated/changed. Do your family a favor and downsize. Also do them another favor and dispose of any letters, diaries, or correspondence that say anything you don't wish your children to read. It is exceedingly hurtful to read that sort of stuff after your gone. Mom didn't, and it hurt Lynn and Mark very much to find out what she really felt. "Be nice, put that **** on ice."

Timely topic. My mother in law passed on Labor Day and my wife and her brother had to deal with the house and contents. Mom and Dad had already emptied the attic and sold off, or gave away, most of the big ticket items. Mom was a thrifty woman who had absolutely every cabinet and drawer filled with multiples of all types of things. You name it, she had it. it took them almost two weeks to get it all out and gone. Food items with expiration dates from years ago....etc.
We have learned from that experience and have been systematically reducing our stuff down to minimums. Everything goes to our son Tim, or friends for specific items like my wife's quilting stuff and everything in my garage. Tim has flat out told us he will immediately sell this land and home and everything left in it. He has zero interest in living here. he has zero interest in anything in the house except for a very few items. We have made specific plans for all of our animals too since some of them will outlive us for sure. Wills, trusts and other instruments are regularly updated/changed. Do your family a favor and downsize. Also do them another favor and dispose of any letters, diaries, or correspondence that say anything you don't wish your children to read. It is exceedingly hurtful to read that sort of stuff after your gone. Mom didn't, and it hurt Lynn and Mark very much to find out what she really felt. "Be nice, put that **** on ice."
Well done and well said!!!!!

Mom and Dad had the same landscape maintenance company for like 15 years. The fella that owns and runs it is a really nice Christian man. He and his siblings/family keep a SC Baptist church afloat and operating. We allowed them to come in and empty the majority of the house so that it all could be redistributed to needy people/families in the church. They came with several trucks and trailers and around 25 folks to help. they were very thankful. it added up to around 80,000 dollars worth of stuff altogether.. Everyone was happy.

I'll also add that if you have a sizable estate and your state has an estate tax, either move to a non-estate tax state and/or reduce the size of your estate by putting cash in a safe place for your kids. I found this out the expensive way when my mother died.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back