• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

outboard carb dates

Bill Monk

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
I figure somebody on the A12 area should know the answer to this one: The outboard carbs that were on my car when I bought it are 340 carb (I have a 440) the list numbers are 4790 with a date code of 2955. If I understand it correctly, the 2955 would indicate 295th day of ? I am guessing it would be 1975 because the carbs still have the lead plugs in the throttle bases but I suppose it could be 1985. Does anyone know when Holley stopped putting the lead plugs in them? Also, does anyone know just how big a difference there is in the 340 vs 440 outboard carbs? They are both 500 cfm but if I'm going to keep these, the lead plugs have to go so I'm trying to weigh out buying the correct carbs against drilling out the plugs on what I have.

Bill,
With a date code of 2955 that would be a over counter replacement,as for the lead plugs all outboards have them regardless.The only difference,340/440 is metering plate orifice size,a little leaner.As for the plugs,don't drill them,just take a small pick,push a hole in them and they come right out.

Bill,
With a date code of 2955 that would be a over counter replacement,as for the lead plugs all outboards have them regardless.The only difference,340/440 is metering plate orifice size,a little leaner.As for the plugs,don't drill them,just take a small pick,push a hole in them and they come right out.
Thanks, I don't think they are still using the lead plugs in todays carbs. I put a 6 pack on my last car and bought all new stuff, they didn't have them. Good to hear on the no drill.

Bill,
One big difference is the 340 outboard has a step sticking out of the booster that gives it a better vacuum signal to start the opening of the carbs. here you can see the difference.

47894.JPG 440 6 pac.jpg

They Both give the same info. Yours just tells you 65 to72 is 3 digit codes and 73 on is four digits.
Didn't see any allowance for leap years in the one you posted. I wouldn't say it's a big deal.
Website I posted totally wrong ? The only thing they didn't right is in the fourth digit having pre 73 dates as a possible fourth digit.
I have a #3116 4A4 yours doesn't cover that .

Last edited:
That's totally wrong! Before 1973 Holley only used 3 digit codes, 73 and later used 4 digit codes

View attachment 427128

That is incorrect,all sixpack carbs have a 4 digit date code regardless of year of manufacture,if in doubt I'll post pictures of as many you would like to see.

Like anything you read don't take it as gospel.
I found that website because I wanted to know when my 3116 carbs were made. I bought them in 1971. 4A4 code is 1964 Nov. 4th week works.
I'm no expert on 6 packs just put out info is to the best of my knowledge. Now I learned something.

So is it safe to assume the carbs I have were made October 1975?
View attachment 427198

Bill,it could be 75/85/95,unless you know how long they have been around it's about impossible to put an actual year on them.All sixpack carbs are dated day/year,not week,month and year.

Bill,it could be 75/85/95,unless you know how long they have been around it's about impossible to put an actual year on them.All sixpack carbs are dated day/year,not week,month and year.

If you looked at a calendar for each year 75/85/95. Maybe you'll get lucky and have the carb build day on Sat/Sun on two of the years.
On my carb date code post guess that's why they have 4 digit codes before 1973.

My AAR original carbs were dated 992 and 993 1969, Sep, 2nd and 3rd week.
If you don't believe me than call Holley and they and straighten it out. All Holley carbs regardless of Mopar, Ford, GM, aftermarket used 3 digit date codes from the 50's till 72 then they went to 4 digit.

My AAR original carbs were dated 992 and 993 1969, Sep, 2nd and 3rd week.
If you don't believe me than call Holley and they and straighten it out. All Holley carbs regardless of Mopar, Ford, GM, aftermarket used 3 digit date codes from the 50's till 72 then they went to 4 digit.

I'll debate you all day long if you wish,I've been restoring Holley carbs for 15+ years,I know how they are dated.I would actually like to see a picture of yours,I have never seen a AAR/TA with a date code that early.

. !
P5250699.JPG
View attachment 427629 P5250702.JPG

Last edited:
Holley carbs regardless of Mopar, Ford, GM, aftermarket used 3 digit date codes from the 50's till 72 then they went to 4 digit.

I'm so confused.
So is Holley trying to tell you my carbs are aftermarket '79s and I have pictures of them being put on my RR in 1978 (corner of photo). :wtf:

Scanned at 9-21-2015 9-27 AM (2).jpg

70SixPackCenter.gif
70SixPackFront.gif
70SixPackRear.gif

You can debate all you want. The truth is if the carbs are O.E. they would have a Chrysler part # above the date code and list #. like I said call Holley.

You can debate all you want. The truth is if the carbs are O.E. they would have a Chrysler part # above the date code and list #. like I said call Holley.

I think you will find the carbs with the part number are over he counter dealer items,I have never done a set of O.E.M. carbs with part numbers.I presently have an unmolested set off a A12 survivor,plus I will take a picture of the originals on my Superbird if you wish !!!

Your carbs are correct,the first three number are the calender day of the year,the last is the year,1969 !

My Marine set also has 4 digit for dates. They have no 7 digit Chrysler number on them either.
Front 0840 List 6105 Center 0850 List 6106 Rear 0840 List 6107
They were not made in 1980.
untitled.png

Auto Transport Service
Back