• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or powder coat old Offy tunnel ram

jeepthrills01

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
As stated....picked up an Offy tall dual quad ram...engine will be turquoise...car is B3. The engine color coming out of the hood dosent seem right. Its too time consuming to polish...but still curious about which media to go with.

I like the natural aluminum look. You should have it blasted and see what you think. 440'

I cleaned and then painted my intake. I used high temp header paint then a catalyzed matte clear over it.

335 R.JPG

It now looks like freshly cast aluminum but it won't be susceptible to stains.

If you decide to powder coat, I highly recommend a member on this site who does the absolute best custom powder coating you'll ever see. Contact (CudaChick1968) on this site. Leanna does spectacular work and she is a sponsor here. If I knew how to link a member here, I would do it! Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I like the appearance of blasted and clear coated aluminum. Engine paint is available in clear.
Mike

When I put the tunnel ram on my 65 Fury (440), only the carbs poked through the hood. None of the manifold itself showed.

I you decide powder coat, Cuda Chick 1968, Leanna is great. Although on my tunnel rams I just bead blasted them. But they were drag cars not exposed to the elements.

If you decide to powder coat, I highly recommend a member on this site who does the absolute best custom powder coating you'll ever see. Contact (CudaChick1968) on this site. Leanna does spectacular work and she is a sponsor here. If I knew how to link a member here, I would do it! Best of luck with whatever you decide.
@CudaChick1968

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the mentions!

I don't have any tunnel ram pics on this phone but maybe a restored old STR12 might blow your skirt up.

str12-before_orig.jpg

str12_orig.jpg

Lots of Offenhausers have crossed my bench over the years and I'm a fan! Always high quality aluminum and decent castings, bodywork/deburring are typically pretty quick. Some intakes are bumpy and others are smooth but most are a combination. Rather than striving for perfection, I go for uniformity and do all I can to make each look its very best.

I'd love an opportunity to earn your business too @jeepthrills01! Your local place likely won't give you a discount or treat you and your Offy the way you both deserve. Late Fall and Winter are typically slammed so the sooner it's here the sooner it will be back home. I look forward to working with you.

Chick, I have been admiring your work for years. Everyone else..thanks for the input. I have enough ideas to start tossing darts at the board.

I appreciate all of you.

Auto Transport Service
Back