• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint, what is the best

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
Let's hear pros and cons for the particular paint that you use or have used. Looking to get paint real soon, so opions are wanted.

Are you looking for brands or paint type ?

Many options here, technology today has most major manufacturers producing fantastic products. In Canada we are converting to waterborne technologies as are some US states. BASF Glasurit has long been a favorite of mine but as I am in the industry I see many great finishes from Dupont, PPG etc. Each of these companies have various levels of quality and you will pay accordingly for each of these products. Example, BASF's premium line is Glasurit while their second line is RM which is still a very good quality material. See this link as an example:
https://www.basfrefinish.com/cgi-bi...UB_MENU&directAction=Home&fromhttpsredirect=Y
Dupont's premium paint is Standox while their second line is Spies Hecker and thier third line is Nason. Standox is a beautiful product as well. Below is a picture of my buddies Camaro I just sprayed in Glasurit 90 line (waterborne basecoat/urethane topcoat). This product will look this wet for its lifetime if cared for.
Sorry for polluting the thread with a Chebby, just an example.
Good luck!

Camaro.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'm still a few months away, but I want to be prepared, again, thanks.

AdamR, looking for single stage, base/clear, urethane, lacquer so on. Also the brands that people prefer.

We do everything in Base/Clear as will most shops Im sure. We just switch from Sikkens Auto Base to Spies Hecker. The Spies seems to be better as far as color match. Find your self a good jobber to get your materiel from, They arent easy to come by but make a world of difference.

At my shop, we use PPG products. Pretty user friendly stuff. I have used Sikkens, Dupont, Martin Seynor, and House of Kolor, but I always go back to PPG.

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

sc005205fd.jpg

I see that there is alot of options to consider, so maybe I better get Maaco!!bahhhaaahhhaaa.

Heres my Dart done with Speis Hecker base and transtar clear. My boss is a big Transtar fan.

dart002.jpg

Heres a cuda done with Sikkens Autobse/transtar.

IM000427a.jpg

Proof positive that most big name paint manufacturers produce great products in todays industry. Of note, none of these cars would look this good if not for quality undercoats and meticulous prep...and good applicators that take pride in their work. There is no replacement for experience and passion.
Nice work once again!

By the way. The shot of the corner of the hood and the fender was one I took to show the match. The hood was painted about 2 years after the rest of the car.

So many choices, what am I gonna do? the cuda with the Sikkens Auto bas and Transstar looks really good. I do believe that is the exact color I'm shooting for, pardon the pun. Adamr, could you tell me the color of the Cuda, that is sharp looking.

The Cuda is an 09 Dodge Challenger color called Inferno Red

5.7 hemi, one thing you need to know is it's not just the paint here...without the right preparation and the right guy pulling the trigger the best paint in the world won't get you what your looking for. Materials alone to acheive these quality results you see above can run anywhere from 500 to 800.00 depending if you want just base clear or a tri-coat (like the beautiful cuda painted inferno red pearlcoat that adamr noted above). Are you going to attempt this yourself?

I liked PPG K200 primer for blocking. I've painted my aunt's bug with white Centari, and my Coronet with black Nason with siphon guns. I have two Sata guns now, but haven't used them yet. Should I use two stage paint for now on, or is single stage fine? I guess two stage is easier for metallics. How different would the new HVLP gravity feeds and new paint be from what I used before? Is K38 comparable to K200? I like the PPG system.

BC/CC will hold out its finish and color a lot longer than SS, no comparison their, and the depth of color is much greater with a clear coat system. HVLP Gravity feeds are the way to go as the transfer efficiency is 60% or better as opposed to the older non compliant guns where the TE could be as low as 35%. PPG is a good choice but we just shooed their system out of our shop in favour of Glasurit. I can't speak to the primer surfacers compatibility. Hope this helps!

Auto Transport Service
Back