• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting your car by matching it to your 50 year old hood springs???

Mercedes has a color green that works for F4 in B/C... I’m more of a fan of single stage these days.. color match is a pain but worth it. My deck lid has plenty to work with thankfully. Lighting does play with paint but idk about that one.
If I were doing more of a concourse restoration I’d definitely use single stage but I’m telling you that new PPG Ditzler Custom Clear is awesome. My goodness it makes that BC pop and it really brings out the colors in that F4 mix and it shows you just how beautiful F4 really is/could have been from the factory. Like I mentioned before depending on the lighting with that clear it looks like all certain different shades of green. It brings out the gold and the black flake. If you’re not good at spraying BC, F4 could be hard to spray. It would be real easy to blotch it.

585CC51A-39A1-42D2-A8E5-56DD09194AA5.jpeg

08F7CBAD-2F9F-458C-B659-D19F17DAC54B.jpeg

I was DuPont guy for awhile started with Deltron years ago... and yes an old Binks gun lol

I find it interesting that all this concern over the originality of the color of a car at MCACN is being a questioned by a guy with a car that every time I see a picture of it my first thought is "what color is that? It sure isn't OE.."

Sorry but the car at MCACN appears to be closer to FF4 than the O/P's car....

Guess which one is original paint.......

F3B08984-0CC3-4F1E-95B5-657A591B4440.jpeg
FF4-Duster.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8736.jpg

Last edited:
Need help with paint code,tag is in bad shape. Right now the car it is a dull green. There is a front and rear picture. Thanks

62500DA7-2C30-469B-9857-CDE828219947.jpeg

D36CAD8A-551B-43F4-8644-3681972DED40.jpeg

9483382F-41E1-446F-AC8E-6CB1D3ECAF06.jpeg

My guess is he used the hood springs cause he could carry them into the paint store. Harder to do with a trunk lid (which would be the far better choice).

Oh, I agree 1000%
I loved how you changed the color on my car. A night pic may I add. You are hilarious. Did you even read the entire post? The first pic is mine. The second, You’re repost of my car. This has went way over your head.

AAD814A2-0988-4162-A7F8-FD34F564CA90.jpeg

20939BC1-6A1C-4268-9A8F-73BA6BCB8AF8.jpeg

Here’s an original 1970 Paint Chip from PPG. You tell me which color is the closest to original and I even admitted the single stage would be closer to original. Here’s under my hood in the bottom pic.
E5F6B9C0-8D71-463B-8454-E86F601B7D56.png

993B1400-B346-4B73-BE68-A870CA5268CC.jpeg

DF4E61F1-C2B2-478F-A98C-E3266FF200FE.jpeg

The reason the picture changed is because unlike the picture of the GTX the picture of your Charger is some different file format & my computer couldn't save it so I took a picture of your picture... Doesn't change the fact that your car every time I seen a picture of it my first thought is it's not a stock color... You go ahead & tell yourself otherwise but it doesn't look right...

There was a time when cars did not have clear coats painted on.
The reflective "see yourself" finishes of today did not exist.

The reason the picture changed is because unlike the picture of the GTX the picture of your Charger is some different file format & my computer couldn't save it so I took a picture of your picture... Doesn't change the fact that your car every time I seen a picture of it my first thought is it's not a stock color... You go ahead & tell yourself otherwise but it doesn't look right...
I asked you a simple question with the 3 pics I just posted, compare the original paint chip. That duster you posted looks more like Chevy green in that pic. The GTX ain’t even in the ball park. Never claimed mind was a dead on match.

There was a time when cars did not have clear coats painted on.
The reflective "see yourself" finishes of today did not exist.
But even before the factories started with clear coats in the 1980s, it was common for custom paint jobs in lacquer to have clear sprayed on as a top coat. I have paint books from the early '70s talking about it. Back in 1975 a guy at work took his Monte Carlo to a paint shop and for $50 they coated his car in clear lacquer over the factory paint. It did look pretty reflective.

Most reflective coatings back in the day were done aftermarket.

Environmentally unfriendly.

Auto Transport Service
Back