• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint, what is the best

You guys are too damn funny!!!!!!!!!

What kind of polishing compound do you use after wet sanding the clear? Any info would help me out, thanks.

It really depends...I am currently using Norton's Ice system, it uses one polish and different polishing pads to achieve a first class finish. The pad has a huge effect on the overall finish of any job.
Depending on what you're trying to do, level orange peel vs. polish imperfections as an example, I generally start with P1500 grit to level, then 2000 and polish with a fairly aggressive polish. Of course using finer grit polishes to acheive the desired gloss. If you are inexperienced, it's best to stick to a system, Meguiars or Norton as an example. I am sure many people could weigh in on this I am sure. Perhaps starting another thread will get you what you need in terms of info. I am a bodyman first, painter second and detailer last and am not an expert although achieve good results with polishing!

Thanks for answering my question. I did paint 2 pieces and clear coated them. I wet sanded to 1500 and now looking to polish them to see what kind of results I get.

Hey fellas, I have a question. I recenlty watched, for about the 6th time..:)>)...Project Overlord, a segment of Overhaulin'. Chip Foose '56 Ford PU was painted with a "single stage" black emamel. I have for several days on and off, attempted to locate the brand of "single stage" paint used on that truck. For the life of me, I have not found any ref. the the actual brand/manufacturer of the paint they used on that truck.

My paint combo will be black over...........

Have any of you seen or heard, what they may have used? The finish is absolutely outrageous...! If I am steppin' on someones copyright on this, pls let me know...I'll delete it a sec..

I have painted several cars over the years, even, Eons ago, painted automobiles for a living, but I have NEVER seen a finish like this one.

Chips56.jpg

Well I believe the reason for ss black is depth of colour, clearcoat on black is awesome as well and ultimately looks better longer. I am looking for a term that would help describe the difference in appearance between the two but it's too early in the am. They likely used a very pure black (little or no toners) with no white yellow or red added. Blue can be added to blacks to aid in depth. Black is not always as it appears. What makes this baby stand out is polishing. I beleive they used BASF paint but inreality for the application PPG or Dupont would appear similar. Polishing!!!
Just my 2 cents...

You can still get a single stage paint at an auto paint store (Finishmasters) I just had some mixed so I can (eventually) reshoot the engine compartment on my Duster.

What kind of polishing compound do you use after wet sanding the clear? Any info would help me out, thanks.

Im using Malco. True grit with a yellow wool pad for the first cut. We also use D/A paper for color sanding. 1500 dry then 3000 wet on the D/A. Its also most shiny again before you even polish it. Doing it by hand with a black will give you better results however.

This car was shot in 3 coats PPG Concept DCC single stage then wet sanded with 1000 grit, then again with 3 coats of a 1:1 mix of Concept DCC and Concept 2002 Clear DCU, (both catalyzed and reduced before the 1:1) hand wet sanded starting with 1500, going to 2000 then machine polished using the Presta system. I took the pics under the tree as I detailed it for it's first show. In the full sun, this car needs sunglasses for viewing. Not too bad for the Empirial Ivory.

'57 Lt frt.jpg

This is PPG Base coat and Transtar clear car was painted where it sits.

Transtar, My boss love that stuff.

christmas08 and car 023tiny.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back