• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a vinyl top?? Possible?

Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck/good results painting their vinyl top? If so, what type/brand paint did you use. I dont want to pull off the old top as its in great shape. Any help is appreciated.

Re-dye. Interior/upholstery shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Herbs paint/dye. It will have to be very clean, no residue from things like Armor All or other protectants. I would worry more about the cleaning than the dye.

Had this one dyed/painted in 1996. When it was street driven.Still going strong today. A body shop did it. Have no idea what they used.
Starting_line_PA06.JPG

I can't be of any technical help other than to tell you that it can be done very successfully. Many, many moons ago I had a white '71 Deville with a black top and wanted it white on white. A friend of mine worked at a Cadillac dealership and said that they had a guy come in once a week to do jobs like that on cars that had a bad color combination. I watched him tape and spray the top and it looked great for as long as I had it. The only thing he would not guarantee was the trim, but I never had a problem with it. Might check with a body shop.

Hoping to go from white to black. Of course, that is probably the toughest change to do!! HaHa!
That's the easiest color change. Jerry Hall is 100% right....clean, scrub, clean, clean, scrub, wash, rinse...….and then repeat.

I did mine back in the mid 90's. I used the SEM vinyl dye. Bought a quart can , shot it out of paint gun. It kept the color, no fading up until August 2018 , when I replaced the the top again.

Auto Transport Service
Back