• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake cables resting on exhaust

Dibbons

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
This is regarding my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus project car. Don't remember how the factory cables were laid out. Is there any problem with the parking brake cables touching my custom dual exhaust pipes in places (they are resting on top of the pipe(s))? I don't normally use the parking brake, so there is normally slack in the cables. Thank you.

As far as I know, there shouldn't be much sag in the cables. Mine actually ride up on the floor pans in the middle of the car. I would make sure when the brake is set that it holds the car on an incline. If it doesnt, then check your pads and drums as well as the adjustment and once that is good snug up the cables so there is no sagging.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's not just a parking brake, it's an emergency brake.

There should be no real slack in the cable. It has an adjustment where the cable goes from single cable (front side) to a bracket that attaches to the two separate cables that go to each wheel. This is your adjustment point. It is located along the drivers side rear frame rail. It needs to be tight enough to hold the car in place while it's running and the car is in gear, if auto, and stall the car if manual.

Also there should be a hanger coming off of the tranny mount that holds the cable up off of the exhaust.

I had this problem too, I drilled a new home in the far upper left corner for the pass bracket/rod, now i'm a good 1/2- 3/4" above the exhaust

Auto Transport Service
Back