• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part's List for Gen III swap

skymynx

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
So I have been debating dropping in a modern hemi into my 72 charger to replace a 318/904 setup. I've been reading alot up on the swap. However, I still have some questions.

Electrical:
Do I need to get the harness that I've seen for $1000 to drop the motor in if I can get the motor with the factory harness?

For the exhaust:
TTI motor swap headers

Motor Mounts:
TTI setup

Tranmission:
Debating going with a Streetfighter 904 TCI setup, and the conversion kit to bolt it to the hemi block. However, I have found some good deals with the modern hemi transmission bolted already up to the block.

Is this tranny worth getting, or should I just stick with the 904?

Fuel:
EFI fuel pump
(Still researching so feel free to make suggestions)

1. If you want to save a ton of money get the harness from Hotwireauto vs. Fast efi stand alone system. They can make this for the engine only so you can use a 904 or 727 trans.

2. TTI for the headers and mounts.

3. If you want to use the 545rfe trans behind hemi, you'll need to cut, fabe weld, and rebuild the trans tunell. Not hard to do, but you will have to do it no getting around this. Also with 4th and 5th overdrive you can put some 3.91 in the back and the trans 3.00 first gear, you WILL get out of the hole in a hurry.

4. Intank pump is best, but an external will work, check bouchiilonperformance, they have a external pump kit if ya want to go that way.

Check my thread, late model hemi into early b bodies, this has a lot of info and may answer some of your questions. This is a good swap, but it's gonna cost some coin, so spend where you need and save where you can. I'll help ya out as much as I can, now get to wrenching, lol!!

So reading this (and considering a 5.7/autostick swap into my 72 Satellite wagon)...I'm going to need to cut the floors to clear the autostick?

Hm.

Good thing I have an entire Magnum R/T (t-boned, passenger side) as a donor...

Fire up the cut off wheel and have fun!!

Well, I have no problem doing a pan change. But the damn thing runs pretty good with the 360 right now...would the "new" LX floor tunnel also clear the current 727? I'm thinking do the bodywork, paint, interior...make a "presentable" work in progress, then if I finally get the urge, swap in the LX drivetrain at a later date. But to keep that particular door open, I'd do the tunnel swap NOW, same time as the rest of the bodywork, so it would literally be a drop/swap/wire affair to put the 5.7 in there.

Sure can, but you'll need to mock up the trans so you will know where to cut.

Auto Transport Service
Back