• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts Quality

citadel

Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
Is there any different between parts from YearOne and those from other suppliers who supply the hobby?
YearOne seems expensive compared to the others and I was curious if there is a difference in quality. Not sure if a car restored with YearOne parts has more value than one using parts from another vendor... This assumes NOS is either too expensive or not available

Year One is Generally a re seller or distributor for many of thier parts. You can usually do better by shopping around and eliminating the middle man.

I'll give ya a big 10-4 on that and classic is the same way also.
Currently I am none too pleased with my last order from classic.
I have recd extreemly good service from Roseville, Phoenix Graphics, Phoenix powder coat, Legendary and on the lower end (read probably overseas made parts) Rocpar and Vans. IMHO on the message board parts offered on the web. Watch out for someone who only showes up and tries to sell parts. Look at thier post count and review thier previous posts.like say if a seller has only ten or twenty posts and they are all for sale posts and some times they may be called out by more experianced members of the community for overcharging or misrepresentation of parts. Look for the word HEMI some will say an item came from a Hemi car, but upon further review it turns out that the part offered never was used in that make or model.
Good upstanding members fo the community will be involved in the community, they may ask questions and offer help on other subjects that they are knowledgeable. They will be involved and not just trying to turn a buck.
The same for EBay there are so many parts for sale there that you can go to an auto parts store and get for half the price. The exact same part!
I have a great trick for C.L someone will list a Smokin deal in your local CL.
When you contact them they say well It is in storage at my (fairy) godmothere house all the way across the country but you can send money to my ebay acct. FRAUD ALERT! Tell them "well what luck, I have an uncle who lives right near there and he will be happy to drop by and look at it and pay for it when he sees it"
Ya know what comes next...POOF gone in thin air never to be heard from again. Then go back to CL and report them as the thief they are.
Once Bitten Twice Shy.

Best of luck

who would you advise for parts to get around the middle man of YearOne?

You can try www.rockauto.com I got some stuff there and it was cheaper than other sites. It depends what you want, top of the line stuff you will pay more everywhere. Hard to get rid of the middle man, but if you find someone let me know.

who would you advise for parts to get around the middle man of YearOne?

the only reason to go to yo
is to get some wire harness's not available anywhere else.

where to go all depends on what you are looking for.
shopping around can save you alot,
be careful when it is cheap because there is
some garbage out there for sale.

in general if you need parts try dante's
he has good deals on legendary stuff
and he runs some deals at times
http://www.dantesparts.com/
for sheetmetal jeff at 521 restorations is the man
http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=home

Yo and Classic are part resellers, so who to go to for each part type, will be all over the map depending on what you are looking for. For instance I was just advised to go ACC on carpet, I could order from one of the resellers. Why should I pay thier margin, especally when you consider that they may not even stock what you are buying. You call them - They call the vendor and have it shipped to you. They never touch it.
I am in the Wholesale distribution business and we have two types of manufacturers reps.
One is the company who stocks product here in town and I can get what I need if I run out or if it is something that we do not stock due to low demand. They are the good ones. They help & provide a good or service.
The other ones so not stock, provide warranty service, do not provide tech service. I consuder them to be a "Leach on the Line"
All they do is take your call, turn around and call it to the manufacturer.
They cost me money, they cost you money. They provide nothing and I do my best to stay away from them.
So which parts do you need info on? Someone probably will know which way to go.

I bought interior door and rear panels from Yearone. The door panels looked like a joke (stamped cardboard). The rear panels came about 2 weeks later and looked like the originals, and on the back was stamped Legendary. I returned the door panels and bought them from Legendary. I think Year one will only give you the good stuff if they can't get it cheaper elseware. That being said I'm sure some of ther stuff is nice, but I only use them as a last resort.

I remember back to year one of Year One. They had the market 100% cornered because they were the only ones selling repop goods for our cars. Their prices were fair and their service was pretty good, but they don't seem to want to notice they don't own the market anymore and are trying to make up for decreasing revenues with higher prices, which will likely speed their end.

I don't like how some of the resellers don't tell you who the manufacturer is.

What YO did right in the beginning, was oraganize and catalog, as well as provide exposure and marketing for all the little shops that were churning out parts but had no customer base and no catalog (or a very hard to get or hard to understand one).

I can remember when the only option for some was to call or write an address in a magazine add, and then 6-8 weeks later you got a poorly printed text list featuring items like "65-68 coronet and roadrunner trim 6 inch - $79".
No pic and crazy decription like that was the norm.

With all that said, skip the middle man where possible.
That's probably why they don't tell you who really makes it.
There's still value in placing one order vs several, though, especially for small time hard to find stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back