• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pearl Harbor, after the tourists have left for the day

It's eerie for sure. Never been there and would like to go. Saw a brand new tanker ship sitting on the bottom of the Houston Ship Channel in 79 after lightning struck it while off loading at the Shell docks. The explosion killed several and threw a few guys out into the water and it created what looked like a war zone because of flying debris hitting nearby storage tanks etc. The blast took out windows and shook houses over 5 miles away. I was part of the clean up crew in the plant and that went on for weeks and weeks. The ship sat there for much longer tied up in litigation.....I can only imagine what the sounds and smells were like at Pearl let alone cleaning up the wreckage. Just thinking about the guys trapped inside the war ship that flipped over hammering on the hull makes me cringe.

My daughter and her family took us to Hawaii two years ago and my wife and i visited Pearl harbor. The first think i recognized was the smell of #6 oil when we got to the memorial. I know that smell anywhere. The memorial was a very moving thing to experience.

Have not been to Hawaii yet. I have been to DC a few times and have seen all of the monuments there. The Wall was a very emotional visit for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back