• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People that I don't like

Thanks for the replies, people.
I have tried to be understanding and accommodating but often times, after dealing with these people, I am pissed at myself for letting them annoy me once again. It does me no good dealing with them or being near them. I think it is best to just avoid them.
Another example:
My Wife has been asked several times to run the registration booth at our annual car show. This guy I mentioned used to be the Car Show coordinator before he moved away. When he left, he just dumped all his info on the club President without a clear explanation as to what all of it meant. PLUS, he kept a lot of details in his head. My Wife was asked to run the booth again this year and was handed the pile of incomplete info and expected to make sense of it.
This is a voluntary, UNpaid position.
After calling and dealing with this guy, my Wife was pissed. HE knew it.
He called ME yesterday, NOT to apologize or to offer a fix, but to tell me something about HIM.
Forget that. This guy made the list and he is at the top of it.
Nobody messes with my wife and gets away with it.

My whole life has been built around people like that. I have three friends my age and the rest are my kids friends that became my friends , or kids. I do for all of them and helped raise their kids, a few had to be cut loose. They forgot that under all those layers of what we have done and helped with, lived two people that are tired of the what have you done for me lately. The nest is getting thin and that's fine because at the end of the day, I know that I was always more than generous and kind. They know me well enough to know when it's shame on them. I have learned that life is short and those that are still around would take a bullet for me, as I would for them. Greg, people will always come and go, but don't forget the ones that you had no idea of the mark you left on them that will never forget it. life isn't always fair, but remember sometimes it is unfair in your favor, look around you.

Last edited:
Our family had a guy like that...his name was Chuck. Chuck has passed on, but it was always entertaining for us young kids when we had those large family get-togethers watching Chuck go off DOMINATING the conversation. In a matter of time, Wayne (who was a wicked-smart engineer and owned his own company) would get his fill of Chucks diatribe and start to land verbiage blows on Chuck who wasn’t that smart.

Eventually, Wayne would skillfully lead Chuck to a place where Chuck would be faced with admitting he was wrong, or in error. The subsequent Chuck melt-down, and storm off, was always entertaining for me, my siblings, and the cousins.

After Chuck left, the men in the family would look at each other with poorly disguised **** eating grins, and quietly retire to the garage, beers in hand.

I worked with a "One upper", this guy claimed all sorts of crazy chit, one was the DNR carries lead magnets for shotgun shell testing, another was his buddy invented a "double barrel under water shotgun pistol" to dive and shoot bass and trout lol.
We began telling BS stories to see what we could get him to claim.
when-the-oneupper.jpg

As an eventual Fire Capt in a busy NYC suburb. I learned that you get Nothing done without the men!
It always was WE.
I constantly reminded the upper brass bureaucrats that, "The men did a terrific job"!

You guys know me. I love stories, both in the telling and in the listening to.
Stories necessarily take up copious amounts of time, of course.
Sorry, the good ones just do...whether you're reading them or listening/telling them.
To presume that such yakkity folks are innately self-serving, however, is unfair - and
quite rude a presumption to make at times, honestly.
Banty roosters as I call them.

I like my Cat.
For some reason, car people or "almost" car people can be the worst. That's why car shows annoy me. You're at the show with your 572 inch, 800HP Hemi that you've sweated a few thousand hours and $100k into and some guy is there that knows a guy with a 350, 4 bolt Nova that runs 6's on wide oval G70's.

I have a friend whom I have never actually met from online gaming. He is one of the guys who just talks to hear himself talk. Very smart guy but dominates conversations to the point where I just do the old fake yup or yeah just blerp out words in appropriate spots. I have also found myself being a topper but not to top a story someone has told but their story refreshed a memory in my mind so I tell my story. I guess I'm guilty of this. In my 50 years of being around and having 2 older brothers I have many stories of the childhood stuff we endured. I guess its not topping to me more like relating.

As an eventual Fire Capt in a busy NYC suburb. I learned that you get Nothing done without the men!
It always was WE.
I constantly reminded the upper brass bureaucrats that, "The men did a terrific job"!

This hangs in my office...

boss and leader.jpg

images (7).jpeg

@Kern Dog you will probably find your patience running out as you get older. Your tolerance will go out the window too.

I think I'll try to put a positive spin on all this BITCHING....
I'm going to try to pluck out the pertinent parts of all the previous posts right here
in a condensed form in order to highlight/"cliff note" them, positive or negative so
I condense my replies (and maybe save some of this SERVER space!)
I'll see if I can equally offend here... :)

People that only call when they need something.
People that monopolize the conversation.
People that leave me feeling like I'm fighting for airtime, as if I have to actively fight to get a word in.
1. Agree
2 + 3. Agree sometimes

...a benefit of the doubt might be in order for some because some people have some bad habits ( no arguing there) but they may not be doing it deliberately nor maliciously...
agreed.jpg

...We call it "doing a Carol", which is switching whatever subject you brought up onto themselves...People are so self absorbed...I hate it when I'm talking to someone and their cellphone rings and they take the call and expect me to wait...
Agreed - again!

I also dislike people who 'big note' themselves...
"Banty Roosters"

Maybe it's because they see something in you they
wish they had, and are waiting for the lessons they never received.
I never discount anyone, just as I hope no one discounts me.
...they are friends and I wouldn't give up on a single one of them....
amen.png

"most folks are interested in themselves"
-my dad.
Not to argue with your dad, but I'll grant you that some of them certainly are...

I find it easier to just ease out of it and walk away.
I get sick and tired of being talked over.
Probably the wiser move in most cases...acknowledge and move on.

..."me, me, me"...I have found that it's better to communicate with her as little as possible.
Again, been there doing that, similar circumstances, same method being employed...

My wife calls them "toppers".
"Banty Roosters"

A vast majority of people I meet at larger Mopar shows
are good people...I had a much better time hanging out with everyone at the FBBO tent.
I agree with the first and HOPE to experience the second one day (bucket list?)

I never knew you guys know my Brother-In-Law.
:lol:

A lot of people these days suffer from "self absorption".
No ****...

I put up with it due to our close friendship for the
last 45 years.
Being the "bigger man". Commendable. That there's empathy, sir. Well done!

My pal Rick is like that....he's a news broadcaster.
My next oldest brother is another one...stories are always better, and somehow cooler than yours....
"And now here's Rick, Ghost's pal with the NEWS!"

The older I get the easier it would be to just list the
people I do like, lol
More truth to that than perhaps is indicated...

Some people are what I call a "wear out".
They wear you out just listening to them.
*raises hand" @khryslerkid can witness in my case...

And why is it idiots like this so often become managers?
...He literally could not give one example of my actual work.
We've all had "those" bosses in this life...

I am so old I know few people want to hear anything
I have to say...what all I learned in he last 73 years is irrelevant!
Balderdash, sir! Unmitigated hogwash!

Nobody messes with my wife and gets away with it.
Of that I have little doubt...but if you're gonna move over this way, you're gonna have to give up a little
caffeine, bro. Slow your roll a little, learn to relax a little...our clocks ain't wound so tight.

I have learned that life is short and those that are still
around would take a bullet for me, as I would for them...life isn't always fair, but remember sometimes it is
unfair in your favor, look around you.
Wise words, all.

...Eventually, Wayne would skillfully lead Chuck to a place where Chuck would be faced with admitting he was
wrong, or in error. The subsequent Chuck melt-down, and storm off, was always entertaining...
There ya go, have some fun with 'em!

"One upper"
"Banty Roosters"

...I learned that you get Nothing done without the men!
It always was WE.
Reminds me of that "baseball" scene in the Untouchables... "nobody wins unless the TEAM wins!" :)
DeNiro and the ball bat, remember?
Anyways, very valid point. Wish more leaders were like you in this life.

I like my Cat....car people or "almost" car people
can be the worst.
If you prefer cats over car people, I think I know the problem already...

...I guess its not topping to me more like
relating....
YOU, sir - get it! :thumbsup:

Say whaat?
Yup. That's the whole debating goal in politics in general, right there.

Some people are what I call a "wear out". They wear you out just listening to them. My youngest get's into detail when he explains something. My analogy is "if you ask what time it is he will tell you how to build a watch". (I think he get's it from his dad) LOL What a kid.
I, unfortunately, do that too sometimes. I try and catch myself. The wife tells me I do it all the time but she has the attention span of a gnat so,, lol

I fall somewhere in the middle, I think. Sometimes I talk too much, other times I will just observe. Depends on the crowd. Caffeine is bad for me, as I ramble when I’ve had too much coffee. One thing I used to point out to people is this: “of course I have a bunch of stories. Just in the four years that you went to university I worked as a ranch hand, was homeless living on the street, played in a metal band, bought, sold and transported drugs, partied with bikers, and lived the sort of wild, out of control dangerous life that could fill a book”. And that was just four years.
The other side of the coin is those who contribute nothing to a conversation, but harshly judge those that do. We have one friend on the fringe of our friend circle, and I have one guy in my gun club like that. They will sit as part of a group, contribute NOTHING, but occasionally just interject some snide moment that indicates that they wish you would stop talking. The first guy is ok, we have dinner with him and his wife very occasionally, the gun club guy is just an arrogant dick.
But I digress. With me, it’s this: I’m not about oneupmanship. I just lived my life like I was in a wild adventure movie. I collect strange stories and adventures. And there’s been a few.

View attachment 1165076
@Kern Dog you will probably find your patience running out as you get older. Your tolerance will go out the window too.
My dad used to counsel me all the time "you'll figure it out one day" when I'd get all het up over someone.
I'd tell him every time "I don't think so Pop - I'm not wired like you".
Well, he's been gone 11 years now...and recently, when I'd crossed a particularly mental (now former) friend
off my list as a lost cause, my wife asked me how I was doing with it and I just sort of shrugged my shoulders
in exhaustion and resolution...
She then said "Pop told you that you'd get here one day".
Yep, dear. He sure did - and he was right, as usual.
I miss the hell out of him.

I, unfortunately, do that too sometimes. I try and catch myself. The wife tells me I do it all the time but she has the attention span of a gnat so,, lol
Right there with ya, man. It ain't a bad thing necessarily.

The other side of the coin is those who contribute nothing
to a conversation, but harshly judge those that do.
We have one friend on the fringe of our friend circle, and I have one guy in my gun club like that.
They will sit as part of a group, contribute NOTHING, but occasionally just interject some snide moment that
indicates that they wish you would stop talking.
Bingo!applause.gif

I will say right up front that in general I do not like (or trust) most people, never have and never will. I have all the friends I will ever need (pretty much all of them are former teammates), thus am not looking for a new one. That said, I am cordial and respectful of everyone but have zero patience for any dumbassery... which includes statements of self importance or self worth.

Civil discourse is relatively simple but seems to elude so many and I don't have time for BS.

Auto Transport Service
Back