• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick 1 Song, That Does It All...

I am an audiophile for sure, so it's impossible to really pick one..... but I can never resist cranking up La Grange by ZZ Top.

I have killed two stereos on that song.

Too many good options here guys.. I’m a stones junky and can’t come up with just one.. too many choices

I like most of the ones posted.
Classic Rock, and the sub genre Southern Rock, but not country.
My first cassette was Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, and I listened to the entire album, vinyl album, with a much older friend when he was in his 80s who has since passed. Mr. J.P. Robillard, who was very sharp and experienced with electronics, especially audio equipment. He had McIntosh electronics and a pair of Klipschorns, and turntable, and the Dark Side of the Moon album was his.
He was my "around the corner" neighbor where I last lived. I had my own Audio/Video Home Theater 1 man company, and have been a Klipsch fan for decades. Not long after he died, his daughter gave me one of J.P.'s turntables, and a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls he had given her. I asked only for a picture of J.P. to put in my Theater Room, which is on one of my equipment racks, so he can be there for those times I have a music session. I didn't expect the long post, but it has been too long since I thought about this. J.P. was the kind of guy, was in the Navy, and had Cajun upbringing, that I could talk with and listen to for hours, and that's very rare for me. The kind of guy that even in my 40s I could learn how to be a better man from, if I were just more like him.
Music has been central to some of the BEST times of my life, and still is, although I haven't made time for "listening sessions" like I used to on a regular basis.
I think this evening will be a good time to make time for some music, and the joy and range of other emotions that it can bring...
My first CD was Journey: Captured and one of my favorite CDs for serious music listening is Steely Dan: Aja.

Stairway to Heaven...Musically it is genius. The lyrics are a true gift.

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
There's a sign on the wall
But she wants to be sure
'Cause you know, sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook
There's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder
There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder
And it's whispered that soon
If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
Oh whoa-whoa-whoa, oh-oh
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
And there's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder
Oh, whoa
Your head is humming and it won't go
In case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow?
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all, yeah
To be a rock and not to roll

If I could only have one song I'd try to be positive and go with the classic boy-meets-girl theme -

Have a listen to the version that is "shittyfluted" :lol:

Boston. More than a feeling.
That is exactly what my pick is here also.....not necessarily my favourite song, but it covers off many moods and situations for me....brings back memories of good times also. Brad Delp's range of vocals is outstanding.

:thumbsup:

Boston. More than a feeling.
That is exactly what my pick is here also.....not necessarily my favourite song, but it covers off many moods and situations for me....brings back memeories of good times also. Brad Delp's range of vocals is outstanding.
Boston was my favorite band, if I had to pick one, at least for their first 2 albums.
Brad Delp is one of the most amazing vocalists in history. I was crushed when I read the details of his suicide.
"A Man I'll Never Be" is a song that I feel like the guitar in the chorus is not only "singing along" but conveying the feelings being expressed in the lyrics.

One of the comments that applies to me too: "I don't always listen to Boston, but when I do so do my neighbors" lol.

Last edited:
While I agree with you 3 Sloppy Dogs , Sticky fingers is pretty good too.

Have a listen to the version that is "shittyfluted" :lol:

That is exactly what my pick is here also.....not necessarily my favourite song, but it covers off many moods and situations for me....brings back memories of good times also. Brad Delp's range of vocals is outstanding.

Boston was my favorite band, if I had to pick one, at least for their first 2 albums.
Brad Delp is one of the most amazing vocalists in history. I was crushed when I read the details of his suicide.
"A Man I'll Never Be" is a song that I feel like the guitar in the chorus is not only "singing along" but conveying the feelings being expressed in the lyrics.

One of the comments that applies to me too: "I don't always listen to Boston, but when I do so do my neighbors" lol.

One of the first albums I ever owned. I am moved by Boston every time I hear them. They had a rhythm that was carried through many of their songs. Many discredit them because of that. I can’t leave the volume down or drive slow when Boston is coming through my speakers.

Hard working man Jack Nitzsche
The last race.

Last edited:

This song says a lot, from back in the day, and nothing's changed, sad to say.

I can’t leave the volume down or drive slow when Boston is coming through my speakers.
There's an instrumental only called "The Journey" that leads into "It's Easy" on Boston. I first heard it on my dad's Cerwin Vega! speakers, and he had added the CV "bass escavator" which boosted bass response. First time I played it, the near subsonic bass made the bolt in the closet door handle rattle. I have a Definitive Technology Trinity SuperCube subwoofer..6x 14" long excursion drivers, good to 12Hz! At 20Hz it's brutal. If you don't have a killer sub or speakers able to play deep bass, you'll never hear it.

Was (am) a huge Harry Chapin fan. My favorites were Taxi, Sequel, and Bananas. Saw him in concert at the Greek, from the second row.

Too sad for me. I get the message, but I don't need to hear it ever again.

Auto Transport Service
Back