• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of My Cars #'s

"Safety precaution"
Do not ever post a nude selfie.
Fixed it fer ya.
Arguments for and against VINS. In today's hobby, VINS are as common as phone numbers and addresses. A Nigerian can call or mail you, but won't clone your car.

DOH, too late for that, LOL!

Fixed it fer ya.
Arguments for and against VINS. In today's hobby, VINS are as common as phone numbers and addresses. A Nigerian can call or mail you, but won't clone your car.

Fixed it fer ya.

Agree. Anyone can go to a show, take a pic of your VIN, fender tag, broadcast sheet or whatever you display and post it. I figure as long as I have the valid title and history, I'm good.

Change? Lol....

tell us how they changed the dates?
I've always wondered about this. The guys working the assembly lines back then weren't the most motivated (or sober) people on the job, so how many times was someone supposed to change the equipment used to make date codes every day and just said "screw it, I'll just use yesterday's... or last week's"?

I've always wondered about this. The guys working the assembly lines back then weren't the most motivated (or sober) people on the job, so how many times was someone supposed to change the equipment used to make date codes every day and just said "screw it, I'll just use yesterday's... or last week's"?
We are talking about vin stampings and assembly engine build dates....NOT parts....

The parts assembly line did whacky things and grabbed parts out of bin's...if the bin was empty they grabbed an alternate to keep the line moving...they never looked at parts dates on the line....They we're only required to place on the correct part per the build sheet/FT and sometimes that didn't happen.

Have you yourself ever try to figure out dates on these parts your referring to? Imagine a line worker half drunk trying to figure that out while the car is moving down the line....use common sense...

Assembly lines that I worked on back in the early '70's always had a line "set-up man" dedicated to one or two lines. He was not one of the production line assemblers, but rather more a "machinist, or tool & die" type guy whose job it was to ensure all the assembly line machinery was in proper working order at the start of the shift and stayed that way throughout the shift. He also was responsible for changing the "date stamps" at the start of the shift on any machine on the line that used them. Our date stamps were seldom wrong, if they were that was grounds to shut the line down until it was corrected. Believe me, the supervisors DID NOT want that line shut down for a date stamp, so it was seldom wrong.

PS. These were NOT engine assembly lines or VIN stampings that I'm talking about. These were component assemblies from the BENDIX Corp.

We are talking about vin stampings and assembly engine build dates....NOT parts....

The parts assembly line did whacky things and grabbed parts out of bin's...if the bin was empty they grabbed an alternate to keep the line moving...they never looked at parts dates on the line....They we're only required to place on the correct part per the build sheet/FT and sometimes that didn't happen.

Have you yourself ever try to figure out dates on these parts your referring to? Imagine a line worker half drunk trying to figure that out while the car is moving down the line....use common sense...
LOL You make it sound like this information was imparted by God. It wasn't. How many times have we seen screwed up VIN stampings and we're only really looking at about 5% to 10% of total production in most cases. Not exactly a record to celebrate, or put much faith in.

And don't hand me any nonsense that workers in the 60s and 70s weren't showing up drunk, high, or both. Ever look at the way a lot of our cars were assembled? Try finding two 73-74 Roadrunners with their stripes in the exact same spots. I've seen cars that were so far out of whack you could tell the car was made on Monday as the worker was trying to recover from a long weekend. Again, we can find dozens of defects that attentive workers would not have made and we're only seeing a small percentage of overall production.

So sorry, but being a student of human nature, I can see the guy setting up the numbers for castings reusing their plates instead of making new ones.

LOL You make it sound like this information was imparted by God. It wasn't. How many times have we seen screwed up VIN stampings and we're only really looking at about 5% to 10% of total production in most cases. Not exactly a record to celebrate, or put much faith in.

And don't hand me any nonsense that workers in the 60s and 70s weren't showing up drunk, high, or both. Ever look at the way a lot of our cars were assembled? Try finding two 73-74 Roadrunners with their stripes in the exact same spots. I've seen cars that were so far out of whack you could tell the car was made on Monday as the worker was trying to recover from a long weekend. Again, we can find dozens of defects that attentive workers would not have made and we're only seeing a small percentage of overall production.

So sorry, but being a student of human nature, I can see the guy setting up the numbers for castings reusing their plates instead of making new ones.
Sorry,

But I had a family member that worked at the Lynch road plant for four years for 64-68....I'll take their word over anyone....

Same person who worked there said workers, not all, we're drunk, hungover or even high...even in today's workforce that still occurs...

Vin stamping mistakes, absolutely...where did I state that didn't happen....again since your shooting from the hip and not reading...the point was CHANGE? Big difference from a mistake....

Just your post above shows you know very little about building a factory correct car..it is surprising because you constantly rag on people that build these type of cars but you always try hence try to act like you know what it takes....

Thats very comical Bru....

Last edited:
Come on guys. I don't want a pissing match on my thread. As the old saying goes: Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one and they all stink.

LOL You make it sound like this information was imparted by God. It wasn't.

Talk about the "pot calling the kettle black". From almost every post you make it sounds like you have consulted with "God" first and got his OK before putting your "commandment" in writing on whatever issue is at hand.

(Sorry Rebel)

This is why I find numbers matching so dam absurd when it may not even have come off the line with what the build says was supposes to be there. Does that make a car a lesser valve?

In my opinion no as it's still a snap shot in time when the car was being built. I'm just trying to understand & decode whats on my car vs what the build sheet & fender tag say and then determine what previous owners did to my car over the past 49 years.

This is why I find numbers matching so dam absurd when it may not even have come off the line with what the build says was supposes to be there. Does that make a car a lesser valve?

The body numbers, engine vin, trans vin are key for value....If you have a build sheet and fender tag, proper research will dictate the parts that came on the car. Then if replacement parts are needed then one can find the correct part and date ranges based on actual build date and simply change the incorrect part or just keep as is....

Where it becomes an issue is in OE judging......if one had evidence as in a letter from an original owner, vintage picture then it is a non issue.....Value is affected by wrong parts in relation to the build sheet without supporting evidence...It is an amount but negligible..

The body numbers, engine vin, trans vin are key for value....If you have a build sheet and fender tag, proper research will dictate the parts that came on the car. Then if replacement parts are needed then one can find the correct part and date ranges based on actual build date and simply change the incorrect part or just keep as is....

Where it becomes an issue is in OE judging......if one had evidence as in a letter from an original owner, vintage picture then it is a non issue.....Value is affected by wrong parts in relation to the build sheet without supporting evidence...It is an amount but negligible..

Plus there were running changes throughout the year. Some people care about using the "right" part for their car based on the assembly date...some don't.

I'm just trying to understand & decode whats on my car vs what the build sheet & fender tag say and then determine what previous owners did to my car over the past 49 years.

Which is natural curiosity. There's no harm in that.

A lot of people want to know the history of their car. I was fortunate to find the original owner of my car and learned a lot.

Which is natural curiosity. There's no harm in that.

A lot of people want to know the history of their car. I was fortunate to find the original owner of my car and learned a lot.
That is the best find for any classic car! And they pour information through history lane!

That is the best find for any classic car! And they pour information through history lane!

I remember mine saying something to the effect "I wanted the Hemi but my wife talked me into the 440" likely due to the additional cost and driveability. Had it been a Hemi car, it wouldn't be mine. It would be someplace else.

Auto Transport Service
Back