• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please School me on A/C Tools

w

what type oa compressors do u have? if its the v twin type he only thing thing that will work right on them is R-12 WITH A GOOD POA VALVE . U NEED A GOOD POA VALVE IN THE BACK OF THE COMPRESSOR TO SLOW DOWN THE FREEON GOING THROUGH THE SYSTEM FOR THE AC TO WOR RIHHT. I LNOW I EWILL GET THE GUYS SAYING IM ALL WE BUT MY COUSIN IS A GREAT AC MECHANIC ON BOH 134A& R-12 WE TRIED 134A IN THE OLD SCHOOL UNITS & IT WILL NO WORK RIGHT . IF U DONT MIND CHANGOMG THE LOOKS GO BUY A 134A CONVERSION ( ROTARY TYPE ALL THE LINE & THE RIGHT PULYS FOR IT TO WORK RIGHT . I HAVE A 72 NEW YORKER WITH A GOOD CHARGEOF R-12 I HAVE 34 DEGREE AIT COMING OUT THE CENTER DUCKS AS FOR THE TOLS WELL U WILL HAVE TO HAVE A VACUUM PAG WITHTHE RIGHT FIRTTINS FOR THE SYSTEM (R-12 OR 134 A ) THE PUPS R NOT INTERNALABLE . DRAW IT DOWN & C IT IT HOLDS THEN CHAGRE IT BACK UP TOILL THE SIGHT GLASS IS CLEAR u can find the ampot of freeon u need from the service book
Thanks for the tips.

I did have a 73 Road Runner that I just sold that did have the RV2 (? twin Mopar style compressor). It was converted to R134a and it worked just fine. But, the units I have now will all be Sanden type compressors with the exception of my buddy's car which is a 64 Impala SS. He may use the old style GM compressor to keep things looking stock. Of course, he would also do a proper conversion to R134a.

So just an update on where I am with this:

Obviously, working on A/C is not super easy. There is a lot to learn about humidity, temperature, recovery, etc. You guys have given me a great start, but I want to walk before I run. I looked at the Testo 550 gauge set and would love to have it, but I can't justify the cost for the amount of A/C work I will be doing.
Here is what I bought so far:
* Orion Motor Tech gauges. These come with two types of can taps plus hoses, fittings, etc.
* Robinair 15310 vacuum pump
* Mastercool 52220 temp gauge
* Elitech WJL-6000 Freon Leak Detector
* A/C Pro Leak Detector dye (I have an old black light that should work for detection of the dye)

I know this is not a complete tool set for doing more serious A/C work. I will add later as I go along.

Here is my plan:
Using the above equipment, I will "top off" my A/C in my 70 Road Runner. I will tighten the one fitting I suspect as being the culprit to the leak, then add some dye and top off the system (it still functions but is low on freon). I will then check for leaks using both the sniffer as well as the UV dye.

For the other three systems I have to do: All have been completely evacuated (or are brand new in the case of the 67 GTX). So these systems will be gone over and checked carefully. I will use the vacuum pump to verify that the system is sound, but in none of these cases do I need to recover any refrigerant. Once I need to do that, I will look into a recovery tank system so I don't blow refrigerant into the air.

w

what type oa compressors do u have? if its the v twin type he only thing thing that will work right on them is R-12 WITH A GOOD POA VALVE . U NEED A GOOD POA VALVE IN THE BACK OF THE COMPRESSOR TO SLOW DOWN THE FREEON GOING THROUGH THE SYSTEM FOR THE AC TO WOR RIHHT. I LNOW I EWILL GET THE GUYS SAYING IM ALL WE BUT MY COUSIN IS A GREAT AC MECHANIC ON BOH 134A& R-12 WE TRIED 134A IN THE OLD SCHOOL UNITS & IT WILL NO WORK RIGHT . IF U DONT MIND CHANGOMG THE LOOKS GO BUY A 134A CONVERSION ( ROTARY TYPE ALL THE LINE & THE RIGHT PULYS FOR IT TO WORK RIGHT . I HAVE A 72 NEW YORKER WITH A GOOD CHARGEOF R-12 I HAVE 34 DEGREE AIT COMING OUT THE CENTER DUCKS AS FOR THE TOLS WELL U WILL HAVE TO HAVE A VACUUM PAG WITHTHE RIGHT FIRTTINS FOR THE SYSTEM (R-12 OR 134 A ) THE PUPS R NOT INTERNALABLE . DRAW IT DOWN & C IT IT HOLDS THEN CHAGRE IT BACK UP TOILL THE SIGHT GLASS IS CLEAR u can find the ampot of freeon u need from the service book
Im am not starting an online argument. Now, that's out of the way, my results differ from your experience. I have a 66 coronet with factory ac. I charged it using envirosafe refrigerant. (See pic) Mine puts out 38 to 40 deg air from the vents, plenty cold enough for me. I followed their directions on how much to put into an old R12 system for conversion and it always works great. I use this on all my cars. A note, this does use a flammable gas as part of the mixture, so if you ever plan to take it to an hvac pro for work, they will not touch it. I do all my own work, so I don't worry about it. And nope, not concerned a bit about it catching fire, there's chemistry involved.
20230730_092804.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad you guys aren't closer...I love the older stuff...

Good thread. I recently got my EPA 608 Universal and EPA 608 MVAC and started collecting equipment for residential hvac, which really starts becoming an investment.
For MVAC,
-Gauge set
-Recovery machine
-Leak sniffer
-Recovery tank
-Tank scale
-Good temp gauge
-Nitrogen tank and gauges
Additional for residential HVAC,
-Oxy acetylene hvac setup
-Stay Silv 15
-Valve removal tools
-clamp on temp meter/temp probes
-r410a rated manifold / hoses
-Micron gauge

It is pricy but not terrible if you plan to do a few services, component replacements. The big run in residential is that components cannot be bought unless you have a business. I have found some exceptions and noticed Goodmark (Daiken) components are readily available. I plan to service my own system.

-Leak sniffer
Leaks are a PIA, but bad evaporators are a boone to the service man. I have my best luck using dyes and giving it a little time to leak, if you have the option.

Good thread. I recently got my EPA 608 Universal and EPA 608 MVAC and started collecting equipment for residential hvac, which really starts becoming an investment.
For MVAC,
-Gauge set
-Recovery machine
-Leak sniffer
-Recovery tank
-Tank scale
-Good temp gauge
-Nitrogen tank and gauges
Additional for residential HVAC,
-Oxy acetylene hvac setup
-Stay Silv 15
-Valve removal tools
-clamp on temp meter/temp probes
-r410a rated manifold / hoses
-Micron gauge

It is pricy but not terrible if you plan to do a few services, component replacements. The big run in residential is that components cannot be bought unless you have a business. I have found some exceptions and noticed Goodmark (Daiken) components are readily available. I plan to service my own system.

Question on the recovery tank(s), Are you using individual tanks for the different refrigerants?
Also, are you re-using the recovered refrigerants, or selling them to a reclamation place?

Question on the recovery tank(s), Are you using individual tanks for the different refrigerants?
Also, are you re-using the recovered refrigerants, or selling them to a reclamation place?
I haven't got that far. But EPA regs state a separate tank for each refrigerant. As long as the recovered refrigerant doesn't have contaminates I would reuse it.

I haven't got that far. But EPA regs state a separate tank for each refrigerant. As long as the recovered refrigerant doesn't have contaminates I would reuse it.
With the cars and house (and appliances) all using different refrigerants, and they keep adding new ones.

With the cars and house (and appliances) all using different refrigerants, and they keep adding new ones.
Yep. Recovery tanks are about $100 a pop. I'm planning to work on my own stuff before branching out. R410a for the house and R134 for the cars. Small appliances can be recovered with recovery bags.

Auto Transport Service
Back