• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polish Or Bead Blast Aluminum Rims

JG71B

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I've had these for quite a while. They are straight and they are very light compared to my WV's magnum 500's. The coating is toast on them and there is slight oxidation on the aluminum. I'm not sure if I should try and polish them or maybe bead blast them and then attempt to polish. I'd be willing to paint if I could get them to a uniform surface texture. Thoughts???
Resized_20230507_183012.jpeg
Resized_20230507_183127.jpeg
Resized_20230507_183140.jpeg
Resized_20230507_183116.jpeg

If those decorative bolts actually come out...
I'd blast em, paint em a medium dark gray, and put stainless bolts in.
Our resident powder expert won't powder coat used wheels, and advises against it.

If the intent is to polish, I'd sand them.
But I like 33 IMP's idea.

Leave the heavy magnums on or if the budget allows get some new wheel. Out of date and not a great style anymore

You have to polish out the deepest pit.(you probably cheat some). Looks like a bunch of polishing. Are all the wheels like that?

Leave the heavy magnums on or if the budget allows get some new wheel. Out of date and not a great style anymore
Well the car is 52yo so, being out of date isnt an issue and they are similar in appearance to a magnum 500. The right paint Scheme they would look awesome, 15x8 a plus also

You have to polish out the deepest pit.(you probably cheat some). Looks like a bunch of polishing. Are all the wheels like that?
Unfortunately, this is the worst

sorry, those wheels are ugly as balls......save yourself the anguish and you can thank me later :)

If those decorative bolts actually come out...
I'd blast em, paint em a medium dark gray, and put stainless bolts in.
Our resident powder expert won't powder coat used wheels, and advises against it.
I agree. You probably will never be happy with what you get polishing them, and it's a lot of work. You could also sand them to a uniform brushed-look finish.

Well the car is 52yo so, being out of date isnt an issue and they are similar in appearance to a magnum 500. The right paint Scheme they would look awesome, 15x8 a plus also
They are similar to a wheel. Not even close to a Magnum. A guy up here powder coats aluminum wheels all the time. They work and hold up great.

If you like the wheels, take them to a wheel refinisher locally. Most of the refinishers
have tracer lathes that copy-cut the wheel and only take about 0.005 off at a pass
and they will clear powder coat them. They'll be like new wheels. Of course, you'll
have to ask them to remove the cap screw heads.

Lol not what I asked
You did ask for ‘thoughts’ which is why I also suggested don’t do it. Waste of time. Reason being they are just not good looking wheels.

I think you used to see a similar ones on all those late 90’s Chevy blazers, the small one.

if your car is the one in your avatar why would you ruin it with these?

IMG_4278.jpeg

If you do choose to blast them, be sure of what type of media will be used. Regular bead blasting will roughen up the finish a bit.. good for cast intakes but not what you want on aluminum wheels for a smooth & shiny polished look. There are other options for blast media, just something to keep in mind.

I would find a local outfit that does vapor blasting. I use it on vintage motocross bikes aluminum cases, hubs & other parts. I have a local guy that does it cheap. Then you can decide if a polished, painted or powdercoated finish is the next step.

I would find a local outfit that does vapor blasting. I use it on vintage motocross bikes aluminum cases, hubs & other parts. I have a local guy that does it cheap. Then you can decide if a polished, painted or powdercoated finish is the next step.
What's 'vapor' blasting? I'm very interested...

Not my favorite wheel, as it reeks of the 80's. Dude, nice Camero!!
15x8 so a good size. Now minimize the cost and effort to see if it pans out. I believe that the finish problems are the factory powder coat clear failing, not corrosion.
Remove the fake bolts, media blast, and clear. The finish should be a bright grey. You might like it. Paint the bolts wheel color.
I would suggest you might like it better fogging some silver base coat, then semigloss clear. Detail in the black area. Main thing, minimize time and cost.

They will never look new again unless you are willing to spend many hrs on them.
I'm not a big fan of them ethire, but hell I run black steel lol.
If you like them polish them up a little and stick them on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back