• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Port Match or Not

Have a general question concerning Promaxx heads but will start a new thread for it so as not to deviate too much in this subject.

I did it on my engine, not sure if it's worth it as I didn't do a before/after test.

I think I would do it on yours given the difference in dimensions but can't imagine it hurting much if you didn't.

(and as mentioned you could make it worse as well)

What I did was get gaskets slightly smaller than the port. Tape them in place with painters tape and cut the gasket to match the head port with a razor.

After milling the intake to get it closer I put a few drops of glue on the intake side of the gaskets, install intake and torque down, leave overnight.

Removed the next day and gaskets stuck to the intake of course, then used a sharp pick to scribe the gasket ID to the intake face.

View attachment 1353430View attachment 1353431View attachment 1353432
Everything that INTMD said. If you’re going to do it, match to the head, not the gasket.

I did my first port match on the intake that I'm running on my car now. The above sounds like an easier option but, I used some Hylomar when I prepared it for the port match. If I can remember right, I used blue on one side and red on the other. Drop it straight down, bolt it down, remove and you have a perfect outline of the intake port of the head on your intake. Scribe it and grind away. On my intake, I tried to blend the match as far up in the ports that I could but, it was also a stock piece. With an aftermarket intake, that is already pretty good by design, it would probably be less work and take less to blend up into the ports.

Who knows what kind of gain it will make, back to back testing would be required to really determine that but, if done right, I can't see how it wouldn't be worth something.

Auto Transport Service
Back