• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible to have a bad bearing, and also good oil pressure?

Probably one of my best races.
I was in the left lane. On my only time trial I fried the tires on the starting line, so my dial in was a guess.

.511 light, I knew was closer than I should be and red lit in round 2.

IMG_20200921_120848285.jpg

Just to stick a fork in this thread,
I made 3 trips to the track since getting this thing tuned back up.
Made around 15 1/8 mile passes, launching at 3500, shifting around 5500.
The engine ran good and gave me no more trouble.
It's slower than back in the day, about .6 seconds slower in the 1/8 th.

I won street class with it Sunday, but the last couple passes the clutch wouldn't hold in 4th, so I am calling it a season.

I picked up a 400, so I will either build that or freshen the 413 for next year.

Going to be a long winter..

If you pull it apart it would be nice to know if you find anything.

I am trying to get a plan together. I will probably keep the engine in the car as long as possible since it's not easy for me to move it around otherwise.
I will update when I can.

Next year hopefully the fronts will have some daylight under them.
FB_IMG_1601324946600.jpg

I finally got this engine out and torn down.
The quick answer to my initial question, is that all the bearings are ok. The mains have a lot of grooves and marks, but no excessive wear.
The rod bearings are just starting to wear through the first layer of metal.

I had 2 cam lobes wiped out, #1 exhaust and #2 Intake, and all the other lifter are worn slightly concave. I think that is what caused the drop off in performance.

The more serious issue is a crack in the #8 Cylinder wall. It's about an inch long on the outside bottom, under the piston travel.
I have had a little coolant get in the oil, off and on at least as far back as 1994. Just a little bit, most notable when it sat over the winter. I put some Moroso engine sealer in it, seemed to stop it mostly.

I took the freeze plugs out today, and wouldn't you know it; the jackass that R&R'ed the freeze plugs for me left the old one under the new one. The coolant passage is packed solid with gunk. I'm fairly certain this is the cause of the crack.

So stuff like this is the reason I can't stand to have anybody else work on my equipment.

Crack-101.jpg
IMG_20210121_181706400.jpg
Rcpt-101.jpg

Is it a crack? Or a scratch? That big a crack would've been putting a fair amount of coolant in the oil. I suppose unless the coolant passage behind that area was plugged solid. On a budget? Turn the 413 crank to 400 main size and build the 400 you have.
Doug

Pretty sure it's a crack, there was foamy crap at the bottom of the cylinder and discoloration of the wall. I had to blow the crud out of the cavity to get the pick of the freeze plug.

I'm going to have the money for a real good build on the 400 in about 6 months.
I really wanted to put rings bearings and a new cam in the 413 and run it this season.
The other problem is that it looks like my machinist gave me about .006 piston clearance, and I have up to .002 wear, it would be pretty sloppy if I hone it any more.

Auto Transport Service
Back