• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 10 second combo's

You need to do a LOT of work on a 8 3/4 to get it to hold up to the power & traction needed to go low 11's or 10's for very many runs. When you are talking about the Silver Bullet, give some thought to what they had for support behind it. Have you got that group behind you?

You need to do a LOT of work on a 8 3/4 to get it to hold up to the power & traction needed to go low 11's or 10's for very many runs. When you are talking about the Silver Bullet, give some thought to what they had for support behind it. Have you got that group behind you?
Don’t have that but modern technology is a thing so there’s gotta be some stuff out there to get me where I need to be I realize they had Factory backing but still even some of the parts they made back then are out of date by today’s updated technology

OK. Then the answer is. No.
That answer is incorrect clearly it seems it’s possible but will take work and if it turns out to be too much of a task a 9” Ford is a viable option

That answer is incorrect clearly it seems it’s possible but will take work and if it turns out to be too much of a task a 9” Ford is a viable option
It's not work that makes it happen, but suitcases full of cash.
I really hope to read about it here where you took a street 440 high 12 car with flat port heads and a 23 spline Trans and an 8-3/4 and run 10s.
Dream big. Do big. :thumbsup:

It's not work that makes it happen, but suitcases full of cash.
I really hope to read about it here where you took a street 440 high 12 car with flat port heads and a 23 spline Trans and an 8-3/4 and run 10s.
Dream big. Do big. :thumbsup:
I know half the people reading the thread probably think I’m crazy by my dream has always been to have a “fast” street car I can either race or cruise that’s why a 10.99 is where I’ve set my goal even if I manage to just hit the lucky number once I can still tell people I have a relatively fast street car and it’ll get posted here I know in the future there’s gonna be another kid in the same spot I am and hopefully he can see just because it’s not the right way to do it doesn’t mean he cant

I know half the people reading the thread probably think I’m crazy by my dream has always been to have a “fast” street car I can either race or cruise that’s why a 10.99 is where I’ve set my goal even if I manage to just hit the lucky number once I can still tell people I have a relatively fast street car and it’ll get posted here I know in the future there’s gonna be another kid in the same spot I am and hopefully he can see just because it’s not the right way to do it doesn’t mean he cant

if you already know everything why ask for advice. You have people that have done what your trying to do tell you what it takes and your not receptive.

We are all crazy to go Drag racing, 'that's a given'...

Many a good streetcar has been wrecked, trying to run a TEN!
Guys are running SEVEN's with street cars these days with technology and huge wallets...:lowdown:

I like many, spent years trying to build a 'Budget street/stripper' and in the end I just went and bought a done car!
I saw it advertised and like many others were ''wondering what the catch was''?
The guy had spent 100 grand, yes a 100 grand on 'running EIGHTS' with his Dart.
After he ''blew everyone away'' he hung up his overalls and helmet and gave the car away...:wtf:

So me and a Mopar-mate bought the Dart and put a 452ci (all iron motor in) and ran a 10.40...:praying:

We was a little upset cos that motor had run a NINE in a similar Dart...:soapbox:

1200hp with a 9 incher.jpg

Last edited:
What is a ten second Combo?

On a budget, err not really possible.
But if you is lucky you can buy a real trick ex race-car and a 'cheap as chips' 440ci may just get you there?

Home built 727 with a B-I-Sprag and a steel drum, no questions asked...:realcrazy:
8-3/4 is OK in a very light car, but a NINE INCHER is the way to go now.:fool:

The engine is the fun part methinks...
Got to get as near to 600 hp as possible.
Super-trick porting for a 906 or a 452 Koffel style.
Mill the heads down 80 to 100 thou and go flat-tops.
Good quality steel rods or as we did 'aluminums'.
Trick intake, we had a 'Team G' with a 1050 dominator.

Then its all TUNE. TUNE TUNE...:mob:

Last edited:
That was then and this is now.

1971 Plymouth GTX all steel with a 727 and 8 3/4.
511ci RB with trick 902's or some bigvalve 906's iron heads. (2.250 1.88's)
M1 intake and maybe a sixpack as a Superstock kinda set-up.

If none of that works I will cheat with some old Indy 440-1's lol...:rofl:

440-1.jpg

Don't get too close, you could fall in lol 440-1 head.jpg

Last edited:
Don't waste your $$ on iron heads!! Many cheap aluminum heads flow much much better right out of the box:thumbsup:
I also prefer the dana over the 9 inch.

Byron, before you jump to a 9" Ford, check out what is required to make it stout.

Last edited:
Don't waste your $$ on iron heads!! Many cheap aluminum heads flow much much better right out of the box:thumbsup:
I also prefer the dana over the 9 inch.

In general I agree. Unless he will do the porting on the 452's himself and knows what he is doing, most of the aluminum heads will be hard to beat. It takes a lot of work to make a stock iron BB Mopar head nearly well enough to meet the OP's goal.

We all certainly know that the plethora of ALUMINUM heads will all 'outflow' the IRON's but...

'Back in the day' folks were running tens and NINES with 'all iron' non stroker engines...:blah:

So I am with (Lord) Byron (mad, bad and dangerous to know) on this one and going to 'go back to' ALL-IRON lol

I met a guy recently with a MINT Coronet with an ALL ALI 'KB-Hemi', just for grocery getting...:wtf::screwy:
That made me a little mad inside and I sold my brand new Edelbrock Max Wedge Victors...

So for me and (the Lord) Byron, its 'all iron' till we die, or blow-up trying lol...:mob:

Last edited:
True, in '83-84 I ran 10.50's - '60's with my 400/452 iron head motor, 3550# '65 Coronet. The B-1's were just starting to be available and too expensive for me. Just really hard to get the flow out of an iron OEM head that the OP wants without a LOT of work.

We all certainly know that the plethora of ALUMINUM heads will all 'outflow' the IRON's but...

'Back in the day' folks were running tens and NINES with 'all iron' non stroker engines...:blah:

So I am with (Lord) Byron (mad, bad and dangerous to know) on this one and going to 'go back to' ALL-IRON lol

I met a guy recently with a MINT Coronet with an ALL ALI 'KB-Hemi', just for grocery getting...:wtf::screwy:
That mad me a little mad inside and I sold my brand new Edelbrock Max Wedge Victors...

So for me and (the Lord) Byron, its 'all iron' till we die, or blow-up trying lol...:mob:

8 3/4 will live in a 10.90 car, with an automatic. Eddy heads, .590 flat tappet, 12-1, 4.56, good converter will get you there. Boost will get you there with a small block. Cheap axles? Dana from a truck. Narrow it yourself, or Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. Iron heads wont be cheap unless you can do them yourself. Or buy the 10 cents on the dollar used.
Doug

TEN seconds without breaking the BANK is hard to do!

I admire folks who want to 'keep it simples' and are on a strict budget.
If you already have a stripped out Mopar then lighten it as much as poss.
Get it under 3000lbs and you can achieve it with an ALL IRON bigblock.

A Mopar mate ran a 'mid nine' with a 408ci N/A stroker in a super-light Plymouth!
He did have standard port Edelbrocks, but still a massive achievement indeed...

I'm sure we can all run tens with 'one of these' lol

GREAT hemi.jpg

TEN seconds without breaking the BANK is hard to do!

I admire folks who want to 'keep it simples' and are on a strict budget.
If you already have a stripped out Mopar then lighten it as much as poss.
Get it under 3000lbs and you can achieve it with an ALL IRON bigblock.

A Mopar mate ran a 'mid nine' with a 408ci N/A stroker in a super-light Plymouth!
He did have standard port Edelbrocks, but still a massive achievement indeed...

I'm sure we can all run tens with 'one of these' lol

View attachment 1197760
408's are the new 440's...:rofl: COOL!:wtf:

vegas moby dick 2013.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back