• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Box Color?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
1970 Road Runner with Power Steering: What color was the steering box from the factory?

I searched the archives, and I saw one response saying black and another saying natural (no paint).

Which one is it???

As always, thanks!

Hawk

Just got done researching and painting mine. The best I could determine was semi gloss black.

I spent some time 15 years ago finding the correct paint to use, and ended up with basically a cast iron look and quality clear coats. The pump and pulleys are satin black of course, but the box looks natural. So many differing opinions, and photos in books are varying to say the least.

Thank you both for the responses - so it seems that both are done - or at least there is still discussion and disagreement about what it should be.

Maybe I'll make it cast iron color since that will offset it from all the rest of the front K-Member that is black... :painting_pink:

DSC06568_zps63c5affc.jpg

Mostly I have seen them black but I understand they could have been natural. I did my 69 RR in the cast iron look just because, but my 68 was black and that it will stay.

Manual steering boxes were left natural. Power steering boxes were painted a cheap gloss black. Probably 80% gloss by today's standards.

Manual steering boxes were left natural. Power steering boxes were painted a cheap gloss black. Probably 80% gloss by today's standards.

That helps explain why I am hearing both natural and black. Of course, I just finished painting my power steering box natural. Crap.

Not that it really matters, since the car is not going to be concourse original, but I figured where I could do it factory I would...

Auto Transport Service
Back