• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering cooler? Yes, no, maybe? Will it make any difference?

idrivemopar

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
Curious. my 73 Roadrunner originally had a PS pump cooler on the low pressure line, on a Federal pump, but it got lost years ago, and I found an after market one, and I can fab a bracket for it, but just wondering if its really necessary? I have seen some 340's that have them on the federal pump and some that don't have them on the federal pump.

Will it really make any difference in heat reduction/life of the pump adding one or should I just not waste my time with it and reduce the number of possible leak points in the system?

Good question,
I honestly do not know!
1. My 383 Superbee did not have one but I have one now for the Hemi
Strange...

If you dont need original you can find em dirt cheap on some Dakota's... this ones no good but you get the drift

Photo1035.jpg

Unless you live in a high temp region, or do a lot of twisty's, you will be fine. But they are nice to have to keep the fluid cooler.

In my 72 charger I could feel the difference in the steering (if felt like stiction) after driving the car at 100mph for a short period. Put a cooler on and the problem was sorted.

Auto Transport Service
Back