• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump.

64Belvedere

Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Doing Poly to 360 swap in my 65 coronet and I need to change power steering pumps. I don't want to change the box. What is the easiest set up for lines and box fittings? I also don't want to change the front timing cover etc from the poly to the 360.

Doing Poly to 360 swap in my 65 coronet and I need to change power steering pumps. I don't want to change the box. What is the easiest set up for lines and box fittings? I also don't want to change the front timing cover etc from the poly to the 360.

You should be ok by using your original poly P/S pump.. but you WILL need to use a
69 and earlier cast iron water pump on the 360 motor. Timing covers are the same
except the earlier years have the timing tab bolted to the 68-69 early motors. The
360 motor timing cover has the timing marks cast into the factory aluminum cover.
So.. IMO, you should be able to use all of your pulleys, top and bottom, your
original power steering pump, and alt brackets, and any braces. You may have to
take a small die grinder bit, and elongate ONLY one hole in the lower crankshaft
pulley, because Chrysler changed the bolt pattern just slightly. Note: Make sure
you use the factory 360 balancer (externally balanced) unless its been changed
to internally balanced by a good machine shop. Do not use the Poly harmonic
balancer, (internally balanced). Hope this helps! @Dodge33

Right on. my current poly pump is leaking. It was rebuilt but is leaking again. Thats why I want to go to the newer pump. I have a pump off a 74 Monaco now so I think I'll just get an adapter fitting and use my own hoses.

Auto Transport Service
Back