• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POWER STEERING QUESTION

XMAN JR

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone put on a new power steering pump & box & when you start the car the steering wheel whips out of your hands & to the left. Does something like that need bled ?

There a valve on top of box needs to be adjusted. Service manual MyMopar.com click on referance.

Last edited:
If it's a Chrysler steering box, it could be in need of adjustment. Refer to a factory service manual for procedure.

What'zitcalled?? The slide valve needs to be adjusted.....found this out in the 70's before anyone knew much about it or had internet. It's on top of the steering box and has a line going into it.

Has anyone put on a new power steering pump & box & when you start the car the steering wheel whips out of your hands & to the left. Does something like that need bled ?
A good repairer of steering boxes should align and tune the left/right bias out of the box prior to shipping - have you knocked the top during the install? Adjustment is needed, and will take some time in car - you'll need an assistant to move the wheel while the valve body is adjusted.

A good repairer of steering boxes should align and tune the left/right bias out of the box prior to shipping - have you knocked the top during the install? Adjustment is needed, and will take some time in car - you'll need an assistant to move the wheel while the valve body is adjusted.
I agree but depending on who is repairing/rebuilding the unit, it might not get done that way. I've done a couple and did both by myself.....but man, it's been awhile lol

OK I got it fixed. I loosened the top 2 bolts & smacked the area with the valve in it forward. No change. So I smacked it all the way back. Now the steering wheel turns by its self to the right. So I just kept smacking it forward a little at a time until I found where it wouldn't rip out of your hands either way.

don't really know of any other way to do it
monitor out on the road

OK I got it fixed. I loosened the top 2 bolts & smacked the area with the valve in it forward. No change. So I smacked it all the way back. Now the steering wheel turns by its self to the right. So I just kept smacking it forward a little at a time until I found where it wouldn't rip out of your hands either way.
That'll work too. Put the front of the car on jack-stands ( :) ) and see if there is any tendency to drift to one side or the other with the engine running. That will help fine tune the steering.

That'll work too. Put the front of the car on jack-stands ( :) ) and see if there is any tendency to drift to one side or the other with the engine running. That will help fine tune the steering.
Yep that's what I did. Worked out fine.

Yup - that's how you do it... I've been working on these cars for 30 years. I've had to do it once...lol.

Yup - that's how you do it... I've been working on these cars for 30 years. I've had to do it once...lol.
I've been at it for 48 and still am to a point.....done the steering deal twice in the 70's.

Guess I cheated on mine. :jackoff:
Scribed some location lines on my box, before I went into it, for new seals. Going back together, tested, didn't have to do any adjusting.

Guess I cheated on mine. :jackoff:
Scribed some location lines on my box, before I went into it, for new seals. Going back together, tested, didn't have to do any adjusting.
A buddy needed a new hose and took the valve off thinking it needed to come off. Chevy guy....the other one came in messed up and the owner had no clue. I didn't know what was up on the first one until after a couple of calls were made.

One of the first posts I read on the site, was about the guy who had his arm 'through' the steering wheel, on initial crank. Said his arm almost got broke, when the steering whipped around!
Hehe, not funny, but I did take notes!

Auto Transport Service
Back