• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-purchase inspections and Appraisals

shooter65

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't see a thread for this, sorry if I missed it but does anyone have any recommendations on Pre-purchase Inspection and Appraisal companies? I'm looking at Benchmark out of Buffalo, they are a member of BOCAA and USAAP for what that's worth. I can't find anything good or bad with regard to their inspection and appraisal approval rating though.

Thanks

Depends on your objective. If it's value, than an appraisal is in order. For pre-purchase condition, someone with mechanical and bodyshop experience is necessary, something most of these "appraisers" have zero experience. I'd suggest possibly a facetime with a reputable resto bodyshop. I once saved a customer from buying a Chevy Nomad that had been clipped, along with washboard bondo sides. It looked great in the photos, though.

Depends on your objective. If it's value, than an appraisal is in order. For pre-purchase condition, someone with mechanical and bodyshop experience is necessary, something most of these "appraisers" have zero experience. I'd suggest possibly a facetime with a reputable resto bodyshop. I once saved a customer from buying a Chevy Nomad that had been clipped, along with washboard bondo sides. It looked great in the photos, though.

Thank you, I would prefer to look at it myself but unfortunately that's not possible right now and I don't want miss what appears to be a very good opportunity.

I worked for 20 years doing PPIs for a company out of CT called Automobile Inspections LLC. The list is comprehensive, and also involves a drive and 150-200 pictures of everything. There is never an opinion given by the inspector as to whether to buy or not. The inspection list and the pics allow the potential buyer to make that determination. Also, no opinion is given on price. Of all of the cars and trucks I inspected, I knew the asking price on maybe five, total. My sole job was to inspect the vehicle for flaws, evidence of things such as filler or possible accident damage repair, and how the car appeared, drove and ran.

Appraisals were NOT part of the inspection process.

https://www.automobileinspections.com/

Last edited:
I worked for 20 years doing PPIs for a company out of CT called Automobile Inspections LLC. The list is comprehensive, and also involves a drive and 150-200 pictures of everything. There is never an opinion given by the inspector as to whether to buy or not. The inspection list and the pics allow the potential buyer to make that determination. Also, no opinion is given on price. Of all of the cars and trucks I inspected, I knew the asking price on maybe five, total. My sole job was to inspect the vehicle for flaws, evidence of things such as filler or possible accident damage repair, and how the car appeared, drove and ran.

Appraisals were NOT part of the inspection process.

https://www.automobileinspections.com/

Thank you very much, they seem like very nice people to work with.

The worst thing you can do is get in a hurry.
Good deals come and go.
Just my 2 cents but I would hold off until you can look it over or another one yourself.

The worst thing you can do is get in a hurry.
Good deals come and go.
Just my 2 cents but I would hold off until you can look it over or another one yourself.

The time is critical, in many instances. Ebay, Bring A Trailer and other auctions are time-critical, by definition. Sometimes, a buyer in Florida or UK or Bahrain is looking at a car in California in an auction. A personal inspection is not realistic. Even if the car for sale is just across town, a PPI is always a good idea.

The nice thing about a PPI is that the inspector is an unbiased third set of eyes. No emotion, just facts about the car. A buyer personally looking at it is emotionally vested in the transaction, and will nearly always overlook or dismiss flaws. An Indy Inspector isn't buying the car. He is detached from the sale and provides the facts, free of bias. He also says as little as possible to the seller, except to ask direct questions concerning the car. No chit-chat. No "wow, nice car!" An inspector works for the buyer, not the seller.

A fun part of the gig was sometimes finding out the history of the vehicle. Also, I'd find out on occasion where the potential buyer was located. I didn't particularly care about the destination of the car, if bought; some went to Europe, Scandanavia and the Middle East.

Most fun drive? A 1,000 hp Hennessey Viper. That will put hair on your toenails!

Last edited:
The time is critical, in many instances. Ebay, Bring A Trailer and other auctions are time-critical, by definition. Sometimes, a buyer in Florida or UK or Bahrain is looking at a car in California in an auction. A personal inspection is not realistic. Even if the car for sale is just across town, a PPI is always a good idea.

The nice thing about a PPI is that the inspector is an unbiased third set of eyes. No emotion, just facts about the car. A buyer personally looking at it is emotionally vested in the transaction, and will nearly always overlook or dismiss flaws. An Indy Inspector isn't buying the car. He is detached from the sale and provides the facts, free of bias. He also says as little as possible to the seller, except to ask direct questions concerning the car. No chit-chat. No "wow, nice car!" An inspector works for the buyer, not the seller.

A fun part of the gig was sometimes finding out the history of the vehicle. Also, I'd find out on occasion where the potential buyer was located. I didn't particularly care about the destination of the car, if bought; some went to Europe, Scandanavia and the Middle East.

Most fun drive? A 1,000 hp Hennessey Viper. That will put hair on your toenails!
I understand your connection to the car / truck inspection business.
I do agree that buyers that have little or no experience working on or buying and selling classics / older cars can need some help.
I just have allways felt that getting in a hurry when buying and the I can not let this deal get away mind set most times ends up bad.
You do present your industry well though and like any good salesman you prob will have convinced many.
In the end though I will stick with doing my own inspecting and advise others who have auto repair experience to do the same and do it in person. If the car is to far away or you can not make the time work out.
Well it's best not to hurry . Just wait for the next deal.

Auto Transport Service
Back