• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressure throttle linkage

flatheadgary

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
i have put a 318 into my '63 Belvedere and am having problems understanding the throttle rods.

according to the manual, you hold the trans lever all the way forward and tighten the nut on the linkage down. first off, i have a stock 318 bracket for a two barrel and i put a 360 4 barrel intake on. which required me to make it taller to align with the carb. now that wasn't a big problem, i just had to lengthen the rod that goes down to the bell crank on the bell housing. i will have to bend and lengthen the one that goes from there to the trans,as it was a floor shift part and is straight. now for my real question. the slotted rod on the carb to the bracket on the manifold is what 's got me stumped. how does it push the trans lever back if it rides in the slot until it gets to the end? let me reword that. i can see where the carb will push the rod back and the rest will push the trans lever back. then whats the point of the slot? why not just make it exact length? or does the carb linkage go further forward than the slotted rod? what i would really like to know is how long is the slot? i don't have that rod is why i am stumped. i do have a part that is slotted and can make work if i can know how long the slot is. thanks for any replies

i can see where the carb will push the rod back and the rest will push the trans lever back. then whats the point of the slot?
That's a good question! Some of that design stuff...just make it work.
Think the slot is there, to allow adjusting, and insuring full free travel for the pressure linkage, since it's critical for the trans.
Might try this...make sure the pressure linkage rods have full travel, all the way back.
If you hold the pressure linkage fully back, and move the carb throttle arm to WOT, the back edge of the slot should fit onto the throttle arm pin. You want a small gap between them on the backside of the throttle pin. That's just to be sure there's no bind, but does go pretty much all the way back. Adjust the rods as needed to get there.
Then, with the carb throttle arm at idle stop, and the pressure linkage at rest, see where the slot is, to the throttle arm pin. It 'should' slip right into place, no binding.
Bottom line is...you want free, full travel of the pressure linkage, working off the throttle arm pin.
After a test drive, you'll know if it's okay, or more, or less pressure is needed, going by the tran's shifting points.

I just went through all this crap.it cost me alot of money. I wanted original style because it's a numbers matching car. Save yourself a ton of anguish. Call Summit and order their throttle and kickdown cable kit. The stock stuff all has to match.2&4 barrel are completely different. Including the bracket on the intake, and the slotted part you said you don't have. The stock 2 barrel throttle cable will be too short to work with a 4 barrel carb.

hey it's not rocket surgery!! if i can't make it work i got no business calling myself a hot rodder!! besides if i had to buy everything i needed to build this car it would have cost me $20,000 like my brothers did. thanks for the reply but i am not a CATALOG COWBOY!! i know that is how it seems most people do it these days, just look at all the stupid tv shows. i am not made of money and i drive my cars everyday. i will, like most times, figure it out myself. thanks again for the replies.

Hmmm,thought I posted here...anyways,I think the slot is there to allow the throttle to snap back to idle without interference.

Auto Transport Service
Back