• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pretty sparkles in my duplicolor hemi orange

northerndave

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Is this.... normal?

:confused1:

Painting an air grabber air cleaner lid in duplicolor chrysler hemi orange engine paint.

It's very sparkly.... methinks... strange.

Trying another can...

- - - Updated - - -

Second coat, different can.. still sparkly.

If I knew this was the case, I would have pulled the engine for a repaint a long time ago, lol. That's a cool color!

Well the HEMI Orange body paint had very fine metallics...... Get out your disco ball and get nutz!

header720-saturday-night.jpg

If I heard correctly on Graveyard cars tonight-- The early Hemi orange had some metalic in the paint. Later ones did not. Yes , my duplicolor Hemi orange doe have some metalic in it.................................MO

Just outta curiosity...does the engine enamel have glitter too? Or is the body color tarted-up more than the actual engine paint?

I will probably get flamed for saying this: but the Chevy Orange engine paint pops more than the paler Mopar Orange. On a non-stock redo, I prefer it...my secret is out...

The stuff I was spraying last night was duplicolor high temp (just 500*F) so it was for engines, had a pretty picture of an engine right on the can.

It had what looked like gold metallic in it, very fine grind. It was very noticeable when the paint was still wet but it flattened out after drying and then you had to get your face right down in there to see the sparkles.

It really tamed down after it dried.

IMG_0123_zps3f141f08.jpg

IMG_4230_zpsdb214cbf.jpg

Nice I like it ! Now if I just had something to paint with it ! LOL!!

......paint looks fantastic, I'm going to do mine before the show this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Dupli-Color DE 1652 Sir? I can see that is has ceramic particles in it, which may give it a sparkle.

I don't have the can or caps in front of me right now to see if that is the code or not, it likely is though. I do remember seeing something about "with ceramic" on the label. I think you might be right, I just honestly don't know if the original hemi orange engine paint had a slight metallic appearance or not?

The old paint and decal were very stubborn to remove. I blasted the 2 "belly buttons" where the wing nuts go and also the groove around the perimeter of the oval where the air filter seats. And I DA sanded the rest.

It was stubborn.

It turned out nice, only bad part is it's not for me. I sold the car and I'm getting a few details done for the new owner before he picks the car up.

........not too many paints out there that hold up as well as Dupli-color, so you you're good to go.

I have seen something like a pearl in the hemi orange but don't remember the brand of paint. I thought it was odd as well but it looked good.

Auto Transport Service
Back