• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price too low for numbers matching 69 Coronet RT?

VERY nice paint job, clean engine bay and the interior. With that said, how many of us have shown up to look at a car only to find out the owner was Great at taking photos? Not saying this is the case here...just be aware.

By the photos we cannot see:
- the trunk
- the undercarriage (suspension/ gas tank/ exhaust system/ floors)
- Door or trunk weather stripping
- Window seals (or side windows)
- Drivers door panel
- Headliner
- Is the vinyl top new or original...if original does it need replaced?

By the photos I notice:
- Driver's head rest 'looks like' it was possibly dyed and some black is showing through?
-Original carpet?...is it faded?
-Sun baked horn spokes and steering column?
-Worn/ weathered door lock knobs?
-A rusted A/C line running along the passenger fender?
-Why are the seatbelts 'stacked' in the rear seat...are they faded, or shot?
-Is the radio original or aftermarket?...is the dash cut?

Again, not picking the car apart (looks like a very nice car!), just pointing out items that may explain an asking price lower than what you might expect. As super-bee_ski said, "$31K is not a paltry sum." I personally would want more photos, or better yet see it in person before letting go of that kind of money. Hope it all works out for you! Oh, and welcome to the site...

Nice assessment. We also do not know what any of the mechanicals are like.
It's far from perfect but looks like a nice place to start. It needs some details.

Depending on what the buyer wants, there are some things that might need to be 'fixed'

Wrong rims for a 69
Seats are missing the seat back medallions
Radio has been swapped out. It came with an AM thumbwheel.

It's green/green. While attractive, it is not the most desirable color.
It's a column automatic. Again, functional but not the most desirable.
Center arm rest. Personal preference. Some want it, some don't.
Functional A/C would be a big bonus.

I think the car price is 'in rage' contingent on some of the other factors mentioned.

I think your buying a very nice car for this price. The condition is very good. Your not going to build anything like this for 31k from a beat up old car.

So he is gone? figures. coronetrt caught the no medallion issue.Clearly a reupoholstery. It may be the picture, but I owned a few 69 green Interior Coronets, and one right now. That shade isn't original either. The door panel gives it away. The pattern isn't exactly like mine, and That Interior is supposed to be like mine.

Roger, another pm sent..

monaco66coupe - Yep, he's gone. I looked at the street view of the address for his place of business, and it looked very run down and shady. So I sent him another email asking for more pictures and history of the car. Then a couple days later after no response, I went back to the website and it was gone. I was a little skeptical considering he listed about 10 high-end cars (Range Rovers, AMG Benz's, Porsches) on his website and no classic cars.
Oh well. Back to the search.

monaco66coupe - Yep, he's gone. I looked at the street view of the address for his place of business, and it looked very run down and shady. So I sent him another email asking for more pictures and history of the car. Then a couple days later after no response, I went back to the website and it was gone. I was a little skeptical considering he listed about 10 high-end cars (Range Rovers, AMG Benz's, Porsches) on his website and no classic cars.

What's the link to his website?? These scammers need to be outed!!

Link doesn't work?

That's what I was saying earlier. His website is now gone.

I did go back to the listing website and again hit the "Contact Seller" button but gave a different email address. Got almost the same email back but with a new website and a new contact name. Went to the website, and it has similar cars but a different location address is listed.
I would like to have the guy investigated. I'm going to start a new thread with a link to this one to see if anyone has any ideas on how to get him investigated and maybe prosecuted.

.... how to get him investigated and maybe prosecuted.

For?

Going out of businesses?
Being a poor business man?
Not paying his website bill?

Did I miss some evidence that this was a scam? If no money changed hands, where is the damage?

A year ago a fellow on the FABO was looking at a sharp 340 Dart for sale in Phoenix at a dealer. He lived in Illinois, and asked someone to check it out. I asked my brother to check out where the car was supposedly available to be seen.

When he got there the area was in a bad part of Peoria, no cars, no signs, just junk. The op almost sent a deposit, but when I told him what we found, he backed out. A week later the same ad popped up, this time with an address in Scottsdale. I called that Dealer, and he said that no such car is for sale there, and wanted to see the Ad.

So, there are a small group of low lifes out west that try to scam people from back east that are hoping to score a rust free car.

Rule #one, buyer Beware,,ask somebody in the area for a favor. Offer him 50 bucks, whatever,,,,,,Better safe than sorry.

Dako - Thanks for the things you pointed out. That's exactly what I'm wanting from you all.

super-bee_ski - That's very true.

Since I'm in GA and the car is in Kansas, my plan is to have the car inspected by a professional. I know there are companies out there that supposedly specialize in classic cars. Have any of you used these companies? Or would you recommend a particular company?

Thanks everyone for your responses and help thus far!

I paid a "professional" car inspector to inspect my car instead of flying out to look at it myself. Terrible mistake! Don't get me wrong...I got a couple of hundred photos and a nice 5 or 6 page write-up but he didn't focus on the "mechanically sound" aspect of the inspection. I bought it sight unseen, great LOOKING car, but first time I drove it I knew I was in trouble...front end shot, blue smoke out of the pipes, leaking like a sieve. So, several thousand dollars later for a complete engine rebuild, transmission overhaul, new front end, etc., etc., etc., it's where it should be.

Bottom line: Spend the money and time to go to Kansas and look it over...and DRIVE IT...yourself.

I paid a "professional" car inspector to inspect my car instead of flying out to look at it myself. Terrible mistake! Don't get me wrong...I got a couple of hundred photos and a nice 5 or 6 page write-up but he didn't focus on the "mechanically sound" aspect of the inspection. I bought it sight unseen, great LOOKING car, but first time I drove it I knew I was in trouble...front end shot, blue smoke out of the pipes, leaking like a sieve. So, several thousand dollars later for a complete engine rebuild, transmission overhaul, new front end, etc., etc., etc., it's where it should be.

Bottom line: Spend the money and time to go to Kansas and look it over...and DRIVE IT...yourself.

Yep, he's gone. I looked at the street view of the address for his place of business, and it looked very run down and shady. So I sent him another email asking for more pictures and history of the car. Then a couple days later after no response, I went back to the website and it was gone. I was a little skeptical considering he listed about 10 high-end cars (Range Rovers, AMG Benz's, Porsches) on his website and no classic cars.

I had that happen with a 'Cuda that seemed too good to be true. As soon as I started asking questions, all emails stopped. He had asked me for personal details and my last email to him was why? Nothing heard after that.

I have contacted him twice via Hemmings. He has responded with two different business names, two different websites, two different location addresses, and two different names. How do I know it's the same guy? Because he has put his picture on both websites.

Auto Transport Service
Back