• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with rear glass clips (68 gtx )

dave5237

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
HELLO. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING MY BACK GLASS AND HAD TO DRILL OUT THE HOLES FOR INSTALLING THE MOLDING THAT GOES AROUND BACK GLASS. WELL AFTER MOUNTING MY CLIPS I REALIZED THERE IS NOT ANY SPRING AT ALL TO PUSH MY MOLDING INTO THESE CLIPS. I TOOK SOME PICTURES OF THE CLIPS. ( I GOT THEM FROM PENTASTAR PRODUCTIONS YEARS AGO. TOP LEFT CLIP ARE REPOS. TOP RIGHT PICS ARE MY ORIGINAL. BOTTOM IS A CLIP FOR FRONT WINDSHIELD THAT MAY WORK. I NOTICED THE REPOS DONT HAVE THE CUTS IN THE SPRING STEEL DEEP DOWN SO THEY DONT HAVE ANY GIVE TO SNAP MY MOULDING IN LIKE MY ORIGINALS DO. ALSO WHEN YOU MOUNT THE REPO CLIPS THERE IS NOT EVEN A SMALL GAP TO START YOUR MOULDINGIN. iT IS FLUSH AGAINST THE CAR. tHERE IS NO WAY THESE REPOS WILL WORK WITHOUT DESTROYING MY MOULDINGS OR CAR PANIT BECAUSE THERE IS NO SPRING. ANYBODY KNOW OF CLIPS THEY USED THAT WILL %100 WORK SO I DONT WASTE MONEY ON THE SAME THING I HAVE. THANKS.

Attachments

• 100_2407.jpg
    100_2407.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 510
The right stuff

Here`s a couple pics of clips for 68-70 Charger rear. The green is factory NOS w/screw and the black is a repop. When installed ,these clips will NOT be tight against the body because if you look @ the underside of your mldgs they are tapered in to allow a good secure fit. If you have no room already between the clip & the frame, you`ll never ever get your mldgs to snap into place.
I don`t know if these from a 70 Charger would work on your 68 GTX but i`m sure there are other members who can point you in the right direction for the proper set.
Make sure you use some kind of sealer on your screws before installing the aftermarket clips.

Attachments

• DSC06827.jpg
    DSC06827.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC06828.jpg
    DSC06828.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 503
6pktgo you are absolutely right. The clips are right against the frame with no give. If anybody has these clips that are pictured like 6pktgo on the right let me know. I even experimented and made the cuts a little deeper on the repo clips. You would not believe how far down the cuts have to go to get give on the clips ( thought I would try it out ). Not that I want to dremel slots in all 24 clips but want to make sure the new clips I buy are right. ( the repo clip says right on the package 68-70 b-body rear clips and they do look like the picture on top right when i unscrewed them from the car ) I kept ALL my old parts even these junky clips to make sure they were like for like when i bought new. Thanks.*** UPDATE I DO HAVE THAT RIGHT CLIP PICTURED THAT 6pktgo HAS SHOWN BUT THE OUTSIDE OF THE PACKAGE SAYS WINDSHIELD CLIP. WILL THIS ALSO WORK FOR THE BACK. NOW I AM REAL CONFUSED. TOOK A PICTURE AGAIN ( LEFT- MY ORIGINAL, MIDDLE-REPO,RIGHT-6pktgo HAS PICTURE ). THE ONE ON RIGHT IS LIKE 6pktgo POSTED ( REPO ). YOU CAN SEE THE CUTS ARE NOT DOWN DEEP IN THE REPOS IN THE CENTER PICTURE. BUT IF YOU CAN SEE THE GROOVE IN THE CLIP HE SHOWS THAT HOLDS YOUR MOLDING IN IS TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE CLIP. MY ORIGINAL ONE HAS THE NOTCH THAT HOLDS THE MOLDING TOWARD THE TOP OF THE CLIP WERE I THINK I NEED TO BE. I BELIEVE THE CHARGER BACK GLASS IS THE SAME.

Attachments

• 100_2411.jpg
    100_2411.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 491
I ran into the same problem with my clips. I took the and put them in a vise and tapped each one a little and bent them a little and they worked fine. You may have to do some thing like that. I had several sets from different places and they were all the same. Good Luck Ronnie

It involves a lot of putting your whole hand on the trim, and using your other hand to beat against the top of the hand that is against the trim. Almost s&m.

Man made tool

I have a hockey puck that was cut in 1/2, perfectly flat. Then take the piece of puck & when you`re ready to snap your mldgs on, set your mldg in place and put the flat side center of the puck against the mldg with the clip on the other side.Then one good 6 inch swing :blob1: with a 1 lb rubber mallet against the round side of the puck and if everything is correct, your mldg will snap into place and be secure. :hello2:
*** Before you put the glass in ,make sure the clips do NOT ride above the edge of the frame. They should be just a little lower (1/8 inch) to allow the mldg to sit level with the outside panel. The ones pictured are the front window of my 70 Charger but the same principal applies.

Attachments

• DSC06829.jpg
    DSC06829.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 449
  • help dec 08 010.jpg
    help dec 08 010.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 481
  • help dec 08 009.jpg
    help dec 08 009.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 486
window clips

6pktgo. One more thing. I see those front clips on your charger pictured. Are they the same clips that go all around the front windshield because one of my packages has many different style clips in the same package and says front windshield clips or are there different clips for front,sides,and top and thats why there is a variety in the package. The package says right on it 68-70 b-body. Thanks.

Different clips

The larger clips are for the front lower mldg. you will notice that the frame has recessed areas for these larger clips ( 66-70 B Body). The other smaller clips are used up the A pillars & across the top & also around the back window ,with no recessed areas.
You will probaby notice that i used drip check sealer on those front lower screws as well but it`s not required there as the window water run off drains into that part of the cowl anyway but i didn`t want rust to form under the clip.

Thanks for your help 6pktgo. I am fitting my back mouldings and without getting the right clips in it sure makes it tough plus The paint shop welded in new lower back window corners and my moulding curves dont match exactly in the corners ( hang over the car a little bit ) and now I have to figure something out ( possibly radius the edges more so they fit down in the recessed areas of the new corners ).

Dave, I am assuming your car used to have a vinyl top. I think it is common for the trim to hang over the body in the lower corners if you originally had a vinyl top. At least that is what I have seen. The trim would then line up with the side vinyl top moulding.

On my coronet I don't remember having two different sized clips on the windshield, but I do remember that the front was different than the rear clips. I never had a problem with the re-popped stuff.

Good luck

Dave, I am assuming your car used to have a vinyl top. I think it is common for the trim to hang over the body in the lower corners if you originally had a vinyl top. At least that is what I have seen. The trim would then line up with the side vinyl top moulding.

On my coronet I don't remember having two different sized clips on the windshield, but I do remember that the front was different than the rear clips. I never had a problem with the re-popped stuff.

Good luck

Are the clips different for vinyl top cars???

Same clips, we just did a vinyl. Clips about 1/8" from metal. Can't remember where we got them, can find if important. Yeah small clips not at the bottom. We had clips from 2 different companies; both the same. As far as contours, put the trim together, in the opening, then Evercoat, or whatever, to blend it back in, just use 2 part paint to cover it.

Vinyl top

You are right. I did have a vinyl top and I did not put the vinyl back on
. I forgot myself.

Same clips, we just did a vinyl. Clips about 1/8" from metal. Can't remember where we got them, can find if important. Yeah small clips not at the bottom. We had clips from 2 different companies; both the same. As far as contours, put the trim together, in the opening, then Evercoat, or whatever, to blend it back in, just use 2 part paint to cover it.

That will work. I have a black car so I could silicone it with some black silicone. Not quite sure because the gap is right on the radius towards the corner and it is a small gap.

How`s it going??

Just a follow up to see how you made out? :headbang: Maybe post a few pics?? :happy11:

Just a follow up to see how you made out? :headbang: Maybe post a few pics?? :happy11:

Hello. I havent visited in a while here because I am waiting on new front and back glass from pilkington glass. After installing my old back glass for a dry run on fitting the trim I noticed lots of scratches on the back glass so I decided to get a new back glass ( wont be here till end of January ). As far as the clips. I believe I am all set. I did buy the butyl tape, the pinchweld primer and the front windshield gasket. Thanks. Plus I had knee surgery and wont get back out to the garage for a while. Got our first snow here in N.Y this week but even with a heater in the garage I am in no real rush to get out there. Thanks for asking.

Rear Glass Installation - a little info

Pulled this thread forward to help another member with a few questions. 5/16 th`s inch thick buytl tape available from 3m. Don`t forget the pinchweld primer on the pinchweld & the glass, that`ll insure the best adhesion.

Attachments

• 2 059.jpg
    2 059.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 291
Thanks so much for help on rear window tape issue,thanks to people like you on this site my car should come out good by time i'm done with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back