• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Process to Take A Body Panel From Rust to Car Show

69ChargerVert

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Greetings FBBO Family,
:hello2: 69Charger_Vert.jpg
This question has probably been asked a bunch (sorry) but I'd like to know the steps to take a body panel from rust to show room. I'm building a 69 Charger Convertible... Here's what I'm comfortable with thus far.

1. Sandblast and wipe down
  2. Spray 2 coats of epoxy primer (where can I buy epoxy primer in Austin Texas?)
  3. Body work - hammer dolly, weld, etc.

• Use Everglass over welds to get initial shaping
  • Use Everglass Ultra X for final shaping
  • Start with 60 grit - Final bondo sanding should be what grit sandpaper?
  • Epoxy primer finished work

1. What comes next? Slick sand? 2X build?
  2. What are ya'll using to clean the panels with after sanding? Will acetone work?
  3. How are people fixing minor pitting in the metal?

Thank You!
Tim

You can buy epoxy primer from Rustoleum, Akzo-Nobel, Sherwin-Williams, etc., etc. Don't worry too much about the particular brand. For my bondo sanding, I like to end with 2000 grit.
1. Yep, wet sand after dry sanding.
2. Use tack cloth to get dust off after final sand. Acetone will attack the bondo.
3. Minor pitting - spot putty

Yep... its a 69 with 68 lights and all the convertible parts from a 69 Satellite. My own little franken-mobile.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Purple... what kind of spot putty do you use?

Use wax and grease remover to clean the panels. I end with 320 on the filler
then apply 2k high build primer then block sand. Use a guide coat for blocking to see the high and low spots may take two to three coats in between blocking depending on how well you do on the filler. after satisfied with the straightness lay down last coat of primer and sand with 400 wet or dry. Seal and paint

Use wax and grease remover to clean the panels. I end with 320 on the filler
then apply 2k high build primer then block sand. Use a guide coat for blocking to see the high and low spots may take two to three coats in between blocking depending on how well you do on the filler. after satisfied with the straightness lay down last coat of primer and sand with 400 wet or dry. Seal and paint

X2

Thanks Beekeeper. This is very helpful

Is there a particular brand of wax and grease remover you use? Where do you buy that stuff?
Also, do you use any particular brand of sanding blocks/sandpaper?

Tim

you can get the wax and grease remover at most automotive paint suppliers. no particular brand on the blocks just be sure to use a long one on the large flat areas i use a 18" block and the dura blocks seem to be a good choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back