• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Alternator/Electric Fan: still have questions (I have read all the archives)

What the hell is this!!! Look at how small and puny these fan blades are! No wonder my car ran so hot! The fan blade is way smaller than my hand. Also, the clutch assembly makes it impossible to make the fan blades any longer, and there are huge gaps between the blades. I can see where there is room for up to four more blades. I don't know guys. It is looking pretty unlikely I will want to put this back into my car. I think I may have to go even more broke, and purchase a dual fan setup for the front, or at least a different mechanical fan. Then I will have four electric fans so even if one of them did die on me I will still have 3 fans. I am worried though about what fan to use as a puller because I have heard that there can be problems involved with running pusher and puller fans. I think I will call Zirgo on Monday and see what they have to say. Or maybe I just toss this fan back in and see how it hot it runs.

Attachments

• sdf 003.jpg
    sdf 003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 124
  • sdf 004.jpg
    sdf 004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 123
Rev, the fans are installed. Since all the electrical issues have been sorted out, I have been posting over in the heating, cooling, and AC forum. I hope you stop over there for a minute to check out the pictures of my fans. It took me 14 hours to put those in.

The car is a 66 Satellite with a 440. First let me state that anytime I create new wires I always crimp, solder, wrap with electrical tape, and finish with heat shrink. I have already bypassed the ampmeter by connecting the two wires together. I upgraded the charging wire to an 8 guage wire. This wire runs to a terminal block on the firewall. From here the 8 guage wire goes under the dash were I connected it to the big power up wire. I also run the same 8 guage wire into the trunk to charge the battery. I did all this when I installed Mad Electrical's battery relocation kit so it has all of the fuseable links in all the right places. I have a volt guage, and the car has been upgraded to electronic ignition and has an electronic voltage regulator.

I currently use the stock style alternator. It may either be a 50A or a 60A depending on which one I picked up, however many years ago. Is there a way I can test this to find out how many amps my alternator has? There is no visible part numbers.

Here are my four possible 3 wire alternator options for an upgrade.

Option 1.

Keep all the silly comments BTW. I really want to run a 12SI alternator. It has 90A, can be purchased at any parts store for 150$, and I can install it with a M.A.D. ALT-1 kit for $28 which will make wiring it simple. The problem is, how do I get brackets to hook this up to a 440?

Option 2.

Install a Powermaster 80A (PWM17519). The advantage here is it will fit my existing bracket. The only disadvantage is the alternator must be special ordered and costs $200. Then again, alternators last a long time even on a car that is driven everyday, so chances are, whatever alternator I buy for my cruiser will last a lifetime.

Option 3.

Install a Mancini Denso alternator kit with brackets. One kit has a 60A alternator for $210. I don't think this is considered an upgrade from what I have now. The other kit is a 120A alternator kit and runs $220. The nice thing about these kits is that at least they come with brackets. Again, these alternators must be special ordered, but are around 150$, and again, how likely is it to ever need to be replaced?

Option 4.

Something like a 1988 Fifth Avenue 90A, but how am I supposed to bolt that thing up?

I plan on having a stereo with two 600 watt amps, power windows, air conditioning, two powerful fans on the radiator, and one smaller fan on a trans cooler in the near future. I may need an electric fuel pump 10 years from now.

Currently, I am looking at a small pusher fan for one side of my radiator. This leaves me with a few unanswered questions.

Question 1

I was really excited about this small electric 11.75" pusher fan with 2210 cfm, but it draws 23.4 amps, which does not seem worth it. A better idea would be a 10" fan with 1150 cfm and a 7 amp draw for the front. On the other side of the radiator I could always upgrade from the mechanical fan to a 16" fan with 3600 cfm and only a 10 amp draw. Both of these fans would provide almost 4800 cfm of cooling and only draw 17 amps, which is a lot less than that one crazy 11.75" fan alone. Supposing I did this, and I have the aforementioned stereo system, air conditioning, power windows, and one day a fuel pump, how many Amps of an alternator should I upgrade too?

Question 2

We will have to assume that I have the 50A alternator. I currently have no stereo, or any power robbing accessories at all. What is the most amps I could afford to give to an electric fan?
I was unhappy with the 110 amp square back alternators from proform. So now I am doing the 12si 140 amp. The only change I have need to make was the lower bracket. Found a more curvy ford unit and hammered it flat to work. I have a big dual cooling fan setup and an audio amp as well as 4 halogen head lights.

Ford Small Block Alternator Bracket D30E-10145-AA OEM​

20230306_114249.jpg

20230306_122532.jpg

I was unhappy with the 110 amp square back alternators from proform. So now I am doing the 12si 140 amp. The only change I have need to make was the lower bracket. Found a more curvy ford unit and hammered it flat to work. I have a big dual cooling fan setup and an audio amp as well as 4 halogen head lights.

Ford Small Block Alternator Bracket D30E-10145-AA OEM​

View attachment 1429241

View attachment 1429242

ALT Bracked comparison 20230307_133907.jpg

Comparison, top is stock Dodge.

Auto Transport Service
Back