• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Pittsbird Almost Done

This is a great post Bruzilla. I am so reminded of my '74 Road Runner I got rid of because of my health. Please keep us updated. My "Bad Bird" was kind of a brownish cinnamon color with white stripes.

8112011_002-vi.jpg

Body Work Part 3

Here are some of the pictures I sent mike that highlight what I considered the damage I wanted fixed:

rr9.jpg

rr7.jpg

rr6.jpg

rr5.jpg

rr4.jpg

rr3.jpg

rr10.jpg

Based on these pics, he gave me an estimate of $1,100 to fix the bad spots, prime, and do a base/clear paint job. I thought this number was probably going to go up as the lowest price I had received was from the owner of the dealership I bought my Interceptor at. He had quoted me $1,200 for an enamel job and I knew that price would go up. :) I budgeted $2,000 as the amount I could pay, and took the car over to Mike's house so he could look at it.

Mike's deal is he and a neighbor work together to do cars in their spare time, using his neighbor's garage as a shop. Then when it's time to paint, they take the car to Mike's grandfather's shop and paint it there. I had to admit they had the low overhead thing down.

They looked the Roadrunner over, and said since I wanted a total color change, and since there was a fair amount of rust to be cleaned up and they wanted to use POR 15 as a primer instead of standard primer, the cost would now be $1,500. So the price went up $400, but in fairness the initial quote was based on pictures, and Mike spotted things I hadn't noticed. I was also $500 under the budget cap in case any more "oh, by the ways..." came up. I gave him the green light to start on July 28th.

Body Work Part 4

Mike sent me pictures of how things were going. Here are some of the pics he sent during the first week:

795.jpg

547.jpg

541.jpg

As I expected, the further along he got, the more problems surfaced. He found gobs of old Bondo that he had to remove and fix the area it was on correctly, he found some rusted steel under the driver's door and welded in new sheetmetal, and he fixed about 40 little dings and dents. On August 11th, he came back to me and said he was going to have to charge me more for all the bodywork. We settled on a new price of $2,100, which was more than I had budgeted but I was still expecting to get a better deal than I would have at a shop as I knew their prices would have gone up as well.

At this point it was mainly just a matter of trusting to the Mopar Gods to carry me through.

Last edited:
Body Work Part 5

He started priming the car with POR 15 on August 17. I hadn't really heard of POR 15 being used to paint much but farm equipment that's in the elements all the time and really needs rust protection, but Mike told me he and his grandfather use it on cars as a primer due to all the humidity we have here in Florida.

Here are some pictures he sent of the car after it was primed and during the wet sanding process:

760.jpg

146.jpg

603.jpg

923.jpg

She's starting to come together.

Body work Part 6

Mike painted the car on August 21st, and sent me the pictures below on the 22nd, which was when he brought the car back to his neighbor's garage for the final sanding, polishing, detailing, and reassembly. I picked the car up a few days later and she looked awesome! They did a superb job and I couldn't have been happier. No, it wouldn't pass for a 100-pt resto job, but for what I needed, they were right on the mark.

As I mentioned in another string, as I was driving home, my son and his girlfriend who had driven me over to Mike's house were laughing at all the guys who were driving up beside me, slowing down, and scoping the car out. I figure that's the best measure of how good your car looks. :)

So, I now have a car that runs, has about a 98% complete interior, and has paint and bodywork done, and I'm at a total of $4,874, or about $116 less than what the original asking price for the car was.

703-1.jpg

637-1.jpg

325-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...$2100, that is dirt cheap for all that work. Sounds like Mike and his pal gave you a smoking deal. Car looks great! I couldn't even imagine trying to clean POR 15 out of a paint gun. Must have a decent cleaner or technique.

Your car looks awesome!! They did a good job for you looking at that sinister looking RR..

Step 7: Stripes and Decals

I ordered a set of reflective stripes, Superbird QP markings, and white and black engine callouts off ebay. Cost was $312. The Pittsbird decals were custom made for me by the fine folks at Power Graphics. I ordered six so I would have extras just in case. I also ordered them with a gloss coating that would extend the life of the 3M reflective vinyl out to five years or more. The price for the decals and shipping was $47. I am also having a pair of the 2.5" Direct Connection letters/arrows made up so the car will have all the markings my last 73 Roadrunner had back in 1988. I also ordered some Rapid Transit and Roadrunner Coming Through decals for the windows, so all toll I'm at about $406 for all the graphics.

The reason I put the engine callout on the trunk lid is I get tired of constantly being asked "what engine ya' got in there?", so it's easier to just put the decal on. I put the Pittsbird decal on the trunk lid a little higher than usual because I'm going to be putting a set of the metal road runner lettering from a 69-70 car under it as a nice detail. These came out of the spares box, so there was no cost. So with all the graphics paid for, I'm now at $5,280.

Here are some pics of the car after all the decals were applied. It's pretty well covered in handprints, soap residue, sweat, and body oils, but still looks pretty good to me!

CAM00053.jpg

CAM00054.jpg

CAM00055.jpg

CAM00057.jpg

CAM00051.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

Wow...$2100, that is dirt cheap for all that work. Sounds like Mike and his pal gave you a smoking deal. Car looks great! I couldn't even imagine trying to clean POR 15 out of a paint gun. Must have a decent cleaner or technique.

I agree. I figure if I had gone to a regular body shop, I would have been out probably at least $4,000 if not $5,000. Worse, I would have been paying all that extra money and the same talent, or level of talent, would have been doing the work. I have a neighbor who has several cars he's working on, including a 72 Challenger, and he came right over to my house when he saw the bird was back. His first question was "wow, who did your paint?" and I told him. Then he asked "mind if I ask you what he charged you?" and I said $2,100. Then he asked "and how much was all the bodywork?", and when I told him that was bodywork included his eyes about bugged out. I gave him Mike's contact info and he'll be doing his Challenger once it's ready for P&B.

I don't think POR 15 is sprayed on. I'll check with Mike, but I believe it is brushed on. POR 15 is normally used as a paint coat and must have a UV-resistant clear coat put over it for it to remain effective. Anyway, since it's being block sanded, it really doesn't matter if it's applied with a brush or sprayer as the end result will be the same. The only difference is using a sprayer is faster.

Ahhhh, I see. I know you can spray it like Rust bullet, but the once it's on you or on something else....well it's not going anywhere. 1st time I used Rust Bullet, I looked like the Tin Man for a week.

Stripes look great!

Mike was telling me once that POR 15 is on, you've seen the last of your rust issues because it doesn't flake, peel, etc., and is about hard as a rock. I'm anxious to see how it holds up.

If it still holds to its reputation, Mike is 100% dead on. Gasoline, other solvents and a wire brush can't even get it off your skin unless you're to the point of bleeding or rubbed a couple layers of skin off.

Love your decals, stripes.. Looks fantastic with the black and the striping on, perfect combo. ENJOY! And thank you for a very good laid out presentation... I told my wife about this, she gets to see all the things ive read and told her about when she gets home..

cid_0F4A209B9C5349CBB7C9B7DBACB86E3.gif

Wanted to tell you what the wife, and then see more pictures, real cool! just didn't feel the need to make another post but another thumbs up from here at my place!

Last edited:
Making slow progress on account of the rains from Issac, but getting some things done. :)

Here's a shot of the nose with the scoop inserts painted Steelers gold, hoodpins and sport mirrors installed, and pewter Steelers tag installed.

Img_00147.jpg

Pic of the rear with the taillight bezels painted Steelers gold and vintage bumper stickers on. This is also the rechromed bumper. :)

Img_00149.jpg

Close-up shots of the bumper stickers. The Steelers one is from 1973 and refers to WIIC, which became WPXI in the 1980s. The Pirates one was issued in 1971 by Arco gas stations.

Img_00150.jpg

Img_00151.jpg

Shot of the Direct Connection lettering along the bottom of the doors.

Img_00148.jpg

I've been adding some accessories. Hood pins and FM antenna from ebay ($39), sports mirrors from Advance Auto Parts ($32), and a used horn from ebay ($56), so the new total is $5,407.

Bad news is that at some point over the past 40 or so years, someone removed the horn and horn relay, so now I need to rig up a system for working the horn.

Step 8: Tunes

As I mentioned before I wanted to go with an aftermarket stereo. My requirements were AM/FM with a CD player capable of playing MP3s so I could load a couple hundred songs on a single disc. I also wanted a USB connection for an MP3 player or phone.

I looked around craigslist and found a Kenwood KDC-W7044u that met all the requirements, plus had a display that allows for its color to be changed and detachable faceplate for $30. I also got a set of Kenwood 4" two-way and 6" three-way speakers off ebay for $47. They had been refurbished by Kenwood, but looked and worked like new. Add in a coil of speaker wire from Walmart, and I had an awesome stereo set-up for $98, which upped the total to $5,495.

One tip I found while looking for a stereo is look for ads where the seller lives in a nice, i.e., rich, neighborhood. The people who live there had stupid, spoiled, kids who always want more. The stereo I got I paid about 25% of retail for because little Tiffany had it in her car for two weeks then told her parents she wanted some other stereo little Heather told her was so much better. :) Thank goodness for spoiled kids... as long as they're not mine. :)

nice touch-up on your car.Gives it your own personal touch.That's the same motor i had in my RR and that is one motor that will not die.

love the look of your car,looks like a model that they should have released back in the day.story is awsome,wish there was someone near me that could do that quality bodywork for anywhere near that price.have to do all my own and we all know how long it takes.classic bumper stickers are a great idea,love that retro look.great job on a great looking car,amazing job on saving money.how many of us here would kill for a car that looks like that for almost twice the money you spent.

Auto Transport Service
Back