• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Tetanus

You may be carboned up which will give you hotspots in the chamber that can contribute to pinging or detonation. One thing I used to do on my Duster years ago was to fill up a beer bottle with water, put my thumb over the opening and let it slowly dribble out while the engine is running at 1500-2000 rpm. Would run 2-3 bottles through that way. The water helps to rid the engine of carbon deposits. You get the same benefit with water injection plus with the injection it lasts longer. The car companies used to make some cleaners to do the same job, petroleum based, but with those there is quite a bit of smoke coming out of the pipes. Not good if you have neighbors.

The PO said its done it right from the moment it was rebuilt. He just dosen't remember what parts are in it.I have a t light and am buying a vacuum gage so I can do some basic testing. I sure miss all my tools.

Covid slowed me down. Spent about 6 hours today with my buddy chasing those pesky rattles and installing new key locks. Found out I have a 8 3/4 with a 741 punkin. Car runs much better with the new carb. Still pings though. Next time i am pulling the plugs and looking at the piston tops also pull a valve cover to see what it has for heads. With a 175 psi cranking thats 440 6 pack numbers. i dont have that much cam. Very light rumble. I'll see what my timing tab should say. mines rusty.

You could also have a slipped harmonic balancer, so showing inaccurate timing.

Yup I’ll try to verify TDC. It seems like even with the initial timing at 0 it shot past 40 degrees at about 2500 with the vac hose disconnected. I’m thinking I’m gonna trash the stocker and get a MSD/6AL or a Holley.

Today I ordered a MSD Billet dist with a 6AL2 box, wires and heat sleeves. Also Bought a 999065 Borgeson New steering box replacement kit. New box and pump with bracket and hoses. Pulling the valve cover this week to see what heads this thing has. Progress. I went to my buddies house this weekend and we installed the new door locks and tightened all the window regulators. Found that everything inside of the doors and rear quarters has rust on it. Not cancer but it looks like the car was flooded sometime in its life. I'm going to remove all the door cards and spray a good rust convertor everywhere. Time to stop it. Then work on replaceing everything that is gone too far with good and clean prime and paint whats good.

Think about ‘fluid film’, sticks pretty good. Love that stuff.

Who did you get the steering box from? Hopefully Peter from BAC[ look to your right, 4th ad down] so you get all you need for the install.

Bought the whole install kit from summit for 1050.00. Box,hoses,pump,bracket,hoses and the column sleeve. Sorry didn’t see his ad.

If you run into any install issues, contact him. He is a Mopar guy and knows the ins and outs of this unit with its install quirks.

So I have my MSD setup. Billet dist, 6AL2 box, and new wires with the Woven hot boots. I use to run lots of the MSD 6AL boxes on customer cars. They were very sensitive to under hood heat. After replacing a few I started placing them under the dash. Are the new boxes any better than the old ones. Or should I just bolt it in under the dash and be done with it. I set the distributor at 22 degrees all in at 3000, and figure 10 to 12 initial shoud be a good ballpark to start with. Then I can start tuning.

So I have my MSD setup. Billet dist, 6AL2 box, and new wires with the Woven hot boots. I use to run lots of the MSD 6AL boxes on customer cars. They were very sensitive to under hood heat. After replacing a few I started placing them under the dash. Are the new boxes any better than the old ones. Or should I just bolt it in under the dash and be done with it. I set the distributor at 22 degrees all in at 3000, and figure 10 to 12 initial shoud be a good ballpark to start with. Then I can start tuning.
Yes, mount it inside under dash or under seat. Jmho. They are much better quality now that Holley got involved.

Cool. I think under the dash will work. Mine has no radio or a/c so I’ve got lots of room.

Cars in the shop to do the steering today. I bought a 5mm borescope to go inside the spark plug hole. Worth 50 bucks to not have to pull a head.

The Borgeson Unit is in and worth the price. So smooth and responsive. No tight spots anymore. New turn signal switch works but the wiring somewhere is jacked. Both lights flash. Oh well I can do those. Next job is a new fuel tank sending unit. My fuel gauge isn’t working. I bought a 3/8 line unit to replace the 5/16 one. I also bought a new tank pad to fit between the tank and the trunk floor. That’s for this weekend. I want to thank all you guys for your help.
Bob.

Progress made today. The 80 buck bore scope paid for itself. Pulled a plug and found that the PO had put in Speed Pro L2355F -030 pistons. The walls look great and the rings stop almost to the deck. Looks like I have a deck height of .015 or so. Stock size valves for what appears to be a 1976 440 Open Chamber head off the Motorhome the block came from. Everything was spotless inside the chamber and piston top. I also got my MSD box mounted. I hid it behind the Battery. I will try to duct some fresh air to that spot.

101 degrees today. Car never got above 205 even in traffic. Still have the timing at 0. So that’s a really good reading. Also had the new gas tank sending unit installed. The wire for it had been pulled unto away from the tank. It works now. Next thing I tackle is the MSD. I have the box mounted and will start wiring this next week. I want to go to the Spring Fling with a finished ignition. Any good engine mechanics in SoCal. I’m not going to tackle the cam and lifters myself. I have an open shared carport in a senior community. It’s not allowed.

Hopefully someone close will chime in to hook you up. From you I'm 5 hours away, so not very convenient. HOA's suck, glad we're not in one. Still have to contend with nosy people, I just keep things hidden so we don't get dimed out by a lefty.

Auto Transport Service
Back