• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PS pump hose advice needed

BeeKool

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
Installing pump on 70 Coronet. It looks like a TRW pump. Fits nicely to H20 pump housing, return line fits nicely but pressure hose has different fittings than steering box.
20190310_162506.jpg
20190310_162559.jpg

I looked in my collection of fittings and found something that went into steering box but nothing that adapted. Whats the best cure, have a new hose made?
20190310_162621.jpg

Weird, wish I seen this earlier I could’ve checked my box and seen what was on it.

Locally I have 3 shops in a 15 mile radius that can make hoses.Do you have a shop near you that works on snow plows or tow trucks??? They are the shops that might be able to help you out.

I would recommend a new pressure hose anyway, they are only good for 50 years.
I think the brass fitting you have is close, but you need a smaller end.
Steer and Gear would have the correct fitting.
Make sure to flush out the line before connecting it. The centering valve in the box is pretty finicky to foreign matter.

I think this one will fit, RockAuto Listed under 66 Charger:
upload_2019-3-10_20-44-38.png

That PS pump looks just like the pump thats in my 66. I can check that hose and shoot you a picture but its dark out there now.

I would recommend a new pressure hose anyway, they are only good for 50 years.
I think the brass fitting you have is close, but you need a smaller end.
Steer and Gear would have the correct fitting.
Make sure to flush out the line before connecting it. The centering valve in the box is pretty finicky to foreign matter.
^^^^^^^
This

Weird, wish I seen this earlier I could’ve checked my box and seen what was on it.
Look familar. Lol
Locally I have 3 shops in a 15 mile radius that can make hoses.Do you have a shop near you that works on snow plows or tow trucks??? They are the shops that might be able to help you out.
There are a few places that make/repair Hydraulic Hoses for tractors. Maybe Ill see if they can handle this.

Im guessing the problem is that my car is a 70 500 that came originally w a small block ps and the pump and hose Im retrofitting are from a 66-67 BB setup. Ma Mopar must have changed the pressure lines ever so slightly in between.
I didn't know how somebody remedies this. Looks like its a common dilemma

Lol
Got a big bag of beach towels from goodwill.

Got a big Cool Snap On towel thats in back seat of truck to keep dogs from dirtying my seat

Bring the hose and the fitting that has the proper thread to the hose maker be it a tractor supply or tow truck repair!

I'll agree with post 13 - it's hard to make out in the pic, but it looks like the box fitting is missing. It would be flare x pipe thread I believe. Your pic looks like a 1/4 flare x 1/4 flare, not correct.

I'll agree with post 13 - it's hard to make out in the pic, but it looks like the box fitting is missing. It would be flare x pipe thread I believe. Your pic looks like a 1/4 flare x 1/4 flare, not correct.
The pipe thread end goes into the box then?

Yes, but it’s not really pipe thread; just looks like it. See if there’s any Parker-Hannifan stores around, in addition to the above ideas.

Yes, but it’s not really pipe thread; just looks like it. See if there’s any Parker-Hannifan stores around, in addition to the above ideas.
Thats what I thought

Have a look at the thread "leaking compression fitting driving me nuts"
He has posted some good pics of the original fitting and questions about sealing it.

Auto Transport Service
Back