• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled the trigger

Moparsmitty

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good used Ram Cummins diesel for a while. I found one on a local lot and I couldn't pass it up. I prefer the earlier 5.9 Cummins as opposed to the newer ones and this one is a 2001 with only 82K on it. Barely broken in. Feb 2015 New Truck 003.jpgFeb 2015 New Truck 002.jpg

Yeah you can't beat that it's practically brand new ,nice truck can't find any like that around here , they all have 250000+ miles on them and look like they fell of a cliff (but there cheap)
Good luck with it

Great looking truck. I bought a brand new one in '02 and I LOVED it!! Enjoy that awesome rig!

You'll love it! I've had my 2001 for 7 years, and it only has 89,000 on it right now. Just be sure you address the weak points like the factory lift pump.

Yup the factory lift pump on mine went out and took the injector pump with it soon after. Use an additive to raise the lubricicity of the low sulphur diesel we get at the pump now a days. Your injector pump will thank you.

I've been looking for a good used Ram Cummins diesel for a while. I found one on a local lot and I couldn't pass it up. I prefer the earlier 5.9 Cummins as opposed to the newer ones and this one is a 2001 with only 82K on it. Barely broken in.View attachment 239910View attachment 239909

You will like it, my Dad has a 97 with 161,000 on it, it is loud but dependable with good mileage

I've got a FASS sitting in a box that I need to install on mine. They are a better quality than AirDog.

There was a service bulletin from Dodge about the lift pumps I believe. A fuel pressure gauge or a low fuel pressure warning light is a must as that will warn you if the lift pump is failing. Some trucks had a gauge pod on the A pillar, but not sure if they were factory or aftermarket. Sorry to dampen your spirits, it's a sweet looking truck and looks like you got a great deal. Mine has 200,00 miles and still going strong. Besides the lift pump and injector pump deal I've only had to do brakes, tires, and batteries on a 15 year old truck.

Nice score MoparSmitty, I had a 95 & a 98 one for work & one for towing
I loved them, wish I kept one of them, but both had over 350k when I sold them,
both were modified a bit, lift & suspension, tires/rims, air box, big inner-cooler,
pump timing, injectors, filters, exhaust, tuner etc. & both 4wd too...

disclaimer
my old racing partner Rob was a diesel wizard, I didn't choose to do much of the work,
I just did what he recommended...LOL

IMHFO much better than the 02 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke Dually 4x4, I have now, I rarely drive...
{but I must say my ol'Pops love it thou, I just haven't ever liked it, shouldn't have bought it}

Nice clean truck! That thing would bring a premium here in the rust belt.

Thanks for the advice. What aftermarket pump do you recommend?

I've had a FASS 150HD on my for 6 years. Never had any problems with it. Although I think FASS quit making the HD, but their 150 Titanium is essentially the same pump. Install instructions are straight forward.

I would reccomend getting gauges too. I have an Autometer triple pillar pod with Exhaust gas temperature, Boost PSI, and Fuel PSI. Or Autometer makes a single gauge pod that mounts on top of your steering column. That's what I had at first before I got the rest of the gauges. You want to see at least 10psi of supply to your injector pump, because these VP44 injector pumps are lubricated by fuel.

Smitty - you definitely need to have a fuel pressure gauge on it as soon as possible. Without it, you'll never know if your lift pump goes bad until it takes the injection pump with it. When one of mine died, I was towing my Belvedere down the interstate in TN at night. Without my gauge telling me I had 0 fuel pressure, I never would have known - there was no difference in how it ran. Luckily I carry a spare and I changed it in a motel parking lot the next morning. Another thing that will help is if you relocate the lift pump back by the tank. I haven't had a failure since I did that. I'm on my 4th lift pump, now. But don't let any of this dampen your spirits - it's a great truck!
And they sound even better straight piped!:headbang:

The TDR is a great resource for all things Ram Cummins. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Also run 1oz. of 2 stroke oil per gallon of fuel, your lift pump and vp44 will thank you.

Very nice looking truck Smitty. I own a 2001 Quad Cab 4x4 myself with the 8ft bed that I mainly use for towing my 12,000 lb toyhauler 5th wheel. If you plan on doing any regular towing, I'd definitely recommend you getting the aftermarket FASS system and the extra Fuel Pressure, Pyro, and Turbo Boost gauges so you have a better idea of what's going on under your hood.

Also, do you know if your truck has the infamous #53 block in it or not? Cummins cast their blocks back then at plants in both Brazil and Mexico, and the Brizilian blocks (Stamped #53), were cast too thin on the passenger side of the block, back towards the firewall. So many of them cracked as the mileage on the engines went up or if they were hot rodded. I baby my truck, but my block still cracked at about 60,000 miles. Dodge and Cummins initially told me that I was S.O.L., but the Cummins regional customer service rep heard the recording of my phone call with their Customer Service Dept. and he decided to get involved and make things right. After some haggeling with Cummins, they eventually agreed to replace my defective engine block. I still had to shell out 5K from my own pocket to cover the labor charge, but they covered the replacement block, gasket kits, and other items which ran them about 5K too. If you need more info. on this let me know.....

Also, on Ebay for sale right now for your truck is a limited production OEM factory original, under rear seat (lockable) storage 'box'. This is part number 82204470 and it was only made for a limited time for the 1999-2001 model trucks like ours. The Ebay vendor has 7 of these left since I bought one from him yesterday. :) And I did not pay the $135 asking price. His pictures make it a little tough to visualize how this thing actually works, so here's a pic of it installed that I found on another site.... With this installed, when you lower your rear now it latches onto this and you can lock it.

2001 Dodge storage.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back