• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulley alignment challenge

GassMann

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

What is wrong with this picture? Do I have the wrong pump or what? The Power steering pump pully is off by 3/8" to the rear. The alt is off by a mile. If I put the deep neck pump pulley on, it rubs on the crank pulley. Really lost on this. The crank and water pump pulleys are new. I have a set of pulleys from a small block. Mounted, the new pulleys align great. But the alt and steering pump don't align.

Do I have the wrong crankshaft balancer? Everything seems like it is right nothing is right.

1678549809563.png

Water pump pulley wrong! Check how close WPulley is to water pump bolts.
dodge100.JPG

Last edited:
What motor are you dealing with? None of my motors have ever had a water pump pulley like you have.

Your water pump pulley is meant for A/C cars. Get a regular non-A/C pulley that moves the grooves to the rear. This pulley would have a longer "snout".

For starters if your alternator does not line up with the crank pulley, the crank pulley is either wrong or there is something wrong with the balancer. Balancer could be wrong or not on all the way on the crank. And as said the water pump pulley is completely wrong.

Hey all,

What is wrong with this picture? Do I have the wrong pump or what? The Power steering pump pully is off by 3/8" to the rear. The alt is off by a mile. If I put the deep neck pump pulley on, it rubs on the crank pulley. Really lost on this. The crank and water pump pulleys are new. I have a set of pulleys from a small block. Mounted, the new pulleys align great. But the alt and steering pump don't align.

Do I have the wrong crankshaft balancer? Everything seems like it is right nothing is right.

View attachment 1431739
You should be looking close if not exactly like this.

fan-belt-02.jpg

What motor are you dealing with? None of my motors have ever had a water pump pulley like you have.
67 440 block. I have a set of pulleys from a small block. Two track crank pulley and a single track deeper water pump pulley but they won't align either so I bought a 4 and 2 track set from a friend. Not sure I am heading in the right direction since the alignment was closer. But I thought I had the wrong set of pulleys.

1678561037734.png

67 440 block. I have a set of pulleys from a small block. Two track crank pulley and a single track deeper water pump pulley but they won't align either so I bought a 4 and 2 track set from a friend. Not sure I am heading in the right direction since the alignment was closer. But I thought I had the wrong set of pulleys.

View attachment 1431858
I thought it might be the harmonic balancer. To me, it looks like the crank pulley is about a half a groove off. The upper pulley seems right. Is there such a thing as a crank pulley shim???

The water pump looks like a correct bigblock, the crank must be a smallblock?
To be correct, the lower pulley should have the 2 grooves the same size.
And you have a new style p/s pump, but I don't think that should matter.
So, is it a stock balancer or what's on there exactly.

Oh, and your alternator mounting is all whacked out.

Get all your pulleys (and brackets) from the same donor car if at all possible.

Worth their weight in ibuprofen.

The water pump looks like a correct bigblock, the crank must be a smallblock?
To be correct, the lower pulley should have the 2 grooves the same size.
And you have a new style p/s pump, but I don't think that should matter.
So, is it a stock balancer or what's on there exactly.
I got this block from a local guy. The balancer was on the crank when I got it machined. I would hate to get a new balancer only to find out that isn't the issue but it sure seems like it is shallow by about 1/2".

I got this block from a local guy. The balancer was on the crank when I got it machined. I would hate to get a new balancer only to find out that isn't the issue but it sure seems like it is shallow by about 1/2".
Remove the crank pulley and post a pic of the pulley and balancer?

You can shim crank pulley if needed. The bolts might need to be longer if you shim crank pulley, add shim thickness to bolt length. If you have to alter factory pieces to get thing to work, post the problem first.

It looks like you might have an alternator bracket from an A/C car. Non A/C alternator brackets are easy to find.

440 Source

Last edited:
Small Block pulleys do not work on a big block. Although they may look similar, the spacing is all wrong. As someone has already mentioned, try and get all the needed pulleys off one donor car. A/C pulleys are different again. Only use them if you are actually going to use A/C.

I have a set of pulleys and alternator brackets as shown on Post#6. $50.00 US. plus shipping cost from N5H 2R2 in Ontario. Note that there are a couple of water pump designs. The picture of your water pump and the one on post #6 are the same, with the alternator bracket hole near the water neck. The brackets I have are for this earlier pump. I will post pictures if you are interested.

There were numerous combinations of pulleys throughout the years. For the A/LA series, they had A/C and NON A/C, then in 1970, it all changed.
In the mid 70s, they changed again.
Similar revisions were implemented on the B/RB series. The A/C or NON A/C setups were different. The addition of the smog pump complicated matters. Even the Imperials had some differences. This means that for certain, a small block arrangement will not directly work in any big block.
Trying to piece together a pulley arrangement (From different years, different series) that lines up is difficult but it can be done. I don't recommend it unless you have a large stash of used pulleys.

It is theoretically possible that every year is different and also that every year AC and non-AC is also different.

Let that sink in.

419adb025f221d9481c104c24862acaa224550c05e56dda9_1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back