• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushbuttons

Dltarnnr

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Pushbuttons are acting up, I lubed them and they still stick. The cables are good to go.Has anybody ever replaced the springs and is this something I could match up at hardware store? Stuck on stupid John

You are talking about the shift cables? I don't think the problem is in the buttons!It's more than likely the cables themselves.Have you shifted them without the buttons? They should move with very little resistance,able to feel the detents!

When I first got my Belvedere the pushbuttons were kind of sticky and wouldn't pop back out to the normal position. Since I had the cluster out to replace the speedo, I took the pushbutton module out and cleaned it with brake cleaner and then sprayed down the mechanism with WD-40. It's worked like a charm ever since. You might want to try that first.

A good cleaning is definitely the ticket but I would use a better lube with more staying power than wd40. I have also had problems in the past with the face plate binding with the buttons.

Thanks for the info guys ,when I said the cables where good and adjusted I was only going by what the tranny shop said and believe that Steve most likely nailed it.Would putting some oil down the cables loosen them up ?

Thanks for the info guys ,when I said the cables where good and adjusted I was only going by what the tranny shop said and believe that Steve most likely nailed it.Would putting some oil down the cables loosen them up ?

You could try some motorcycle "cable ease". You'll have best results by removing the cables and hanging them, so the lube can use gravity to it's advantage.

Auto Transport Service
Back