• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Put a fork in me, I’m done...

Im on the same timeline.

Could actually go NOW if i wanted.
I took a pretty good promotion this past spring that came with a $ 8.50 hr raise. Think more money and less work / stress is a good thing.
Just got another $2 hr raise again that goes in effect next week.

So i think will stay 1 more year.....maybe just MAYBE 18 months tops..

Then have house projects wife and I are already scoping out we want to do. Remodel both bathrooms. And all new floors.

Once thats done. I may think about pulling the engine out of the Satellite and address the oil consumption issue..
May think about buying something old to fill in while the hemi car is down.

I think key to long life after is healthy and busy....

Always an interesting topic and like hearing the stories of how great it has been for many here and well not sadly not for some. I departed from the corporate BS that was seriously-seriously messing with my head. Given a nice severance at 45 years old, I never had any intention of starting my own biz; but given the severance deal, was able to ponder on options. I had a nice position (suppose one could say so minus da corporate BS) and salary with few if any, options unless relocating or taking a job for much less money. My oldest was in HS and youngest in 7th grade then plus my wife had a great job. It was lucky for me it worked out for 20 years and getting on my wife's health insurance plan (**** if not that may have been a deal breaker alone).

Had two work friends who helped me get started. I semi-retired in July 2020 and hung on with a few clients working some 8-10 hours a week. Was a nice way to transition to full retirement starting endless projects I likely wouldn’t have started working full time. Yeah, the projects seem to be endless and new ones crop up weekly. Hell, at one time thought I’d play golf daily; but haven’t played in over five years and don’t miss it all that much with all the other stuff to do. Big difference when you can tackle a project and not worry about a timeline to finish it.

Some mentioned corporate culture and I sure have of stories about it; more like nightmares. Could make for an interesting post on its own to hear stories. Overall in my experience, it was all of the ‘team building workshops’ and games with more frequent ‘meetings’ that became infuriating when the basic idea was to ahh…get work done…not sitting in a conference room. The staff I was responsible for worked in the field, not the office, only to be in one day a week and some lived two hours away. I asked the branch manager once, pointing to the 50 people chatting in the room waiting for another meeting to start, how much payroll and biz time this hour long meeting will cost. And those workshops would often be an entire day or two playing games like egg tosses. Worthless as he was a major kool-aide guzzler.

It's always about the money!! I retired at 52 and could never have done it if it weren't for the money. I'm 65 now and you will, if you want, find things to keep yourself as busy as you want. Run and don't look back. Congrats on finding what some never will, freedom!!

I think retiring in your mid-50's is a good time if you can afford it. That didn't happen for me, but my game plan is to retire next spring at age 63.

It's where you are in life, kids in school, reasonable house payment, health insurance and how do you want to live, lifestyle, It all takes money. Retirement is a life long journey and or plan. Depends on what you want and when.

Congratulations!
Well earned, I’m sure.

I’m 51, at present. I’m going at 60, no
matter what! I’ve been a commercial / industrial electrician since 25. It’s been a wonderful run, but this **** beats you up.

I will have no problem, whatsoever, staying busy in my retirement years. :thumbsup:

Good for you!! I can't wait myself, I'm retiring as early as possible or at least doing a part time gig. As of now I'm looking for a baseline 40 hours a week job, I've had my fill of Mapquest auto filling my start point with my employers address!

Being fed up with the corporate BS. I retired after 33 years in the Aerospace/Defense industry at 55. I’ve always been very conservative and prepared financially for my retirement. I’ve been retired for more than 10 years and the only pit falls of early retirement is the cost of healthcare to bridge until Medicare eligibility. Your health or the spouses health is always an unexpected liability. Since healthcare coverage for company retiree benefits has been going away for years, most don’t realize good healthcare coverage can add $2000+ a month to your nut to crack during retirement. And that’s without pre-existing conditions. But with that said, I’ve been very happy with my decision to retire at 55. Time flies when you’re retired. Everyday seems like a Saturday,you forget what day it is and when to put the trash cans out. Lol

Last edited:
...working that is.

Decided I’ve had enough, and aiming to fully retire the Friday before Labor Day 2022. I might not even make it that long, lol, as the company I work for got bought out by Blackstone Capital. In a good cop/bad cop scenario, they are the bad cop.

I’m 57, so I know it’s kinda early, but I have a path forward, and **** it, I’m done with corporate bullshit.

57 here too, but not retired, too many kids, wife, ex-wife

Good luck to you, I retired at 60 (4 years now). Wish I had retired earlier.

I'm 60 1/2. With 62 being the target. I have worked 35 years in same IT field. 1/3 in corporate setting. 2/3 in government setting. Both have their own idiosyncrasies. Corporate is more volatile. But more money. Government is more frustrating. With obvious changes and upgrades being stalled by politics and budget concerns. (Budgets MUCH tighter. As one would/should expect.) But both are the same 4-letter word. WORK.

What ever your retirement goal? Try to stick with that plan. With the full understanding that sometimes life gets in the way. That's my only recommendation.

I guess I’m on the other side of the spectrum. 67 and still working, love my job, the clients, and management leaves me alone. I work remotely, make my own schedule, and talk to my boss every other week on a conference call.
I’ll give it another year or so and join the retired club, until then life is good.

I enjoy what I do for a living ,( body man )
63 but I want to hang until 65 just because of Medicare kicking in at that point.
I plan to keep working part time after that just to keep busy.
We have planned for retirement and look forward to spending more time with the grandkids.
Congrats grabber !

My biggest beef is companies (at least around here) no longer care about balance, there has to be a balance. Some love their job.. others hate it.. some are just content.. some have no home life.. no hobbies.. while others cherish time with their family or hobbies?

When I graduated every job I had was a baseline 40 hr work week, sure there was overtime here and there as needed but it was a 40 hr week so overtime meant 48-50? Nowadays you can't hardly find that, my baseline is 48 so add overtime and it's 55-60 with a maximum of 2 weeks vacation.

I don't mind doing my job but there's NEVER enough time at home, everything is always hectic trying to stuff all of the kids stuff in while taking care of the property then finding time to enjoy life... Yeah it doesn't happen!

...working that is.

Decided I’ve had enough, and aiming to fully retire the Friday before Labor Day 2022. I might not even make it that long, lol, as the company I work for got bought out by Blackstone Capital. In a good cop/bad cop scenario, they are the bad cop.

I’m 57, so I know it’s kinda early, but I have a path forward, and **** it, I’m done with corporate bullshit.

A guy I know in his mid 60s retired in June of this year. He just died 2 days ago. Worked and paid his whole life and drew social security for all of 3 months. It was a great reminder none of us know how long we’ll be here.

The fantastic part of retiring is figuring out how many car events I’m going to next summer as I’ll be able to do it all!!!
Congrats
enjoy your time as a retired person

it goes by fast, so does the $$$

Auto Transport Service
Back