• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about fuel line size and vapor separators

He is putting the filter between the vapor separator and the carburetor
The origional comment was "Fram and Wix both make return line filters"..... it was implied from the comment that it was installed on the return line.
The WIX filter/seperator (#33041) on the # 18's link appears to be the best solution in that it has a paper filter element. But if origionality is wanted or needed, the Mopar set up is what you need.
BOB RENTON

Out of curiosity....why would you put a filter on the return line?
BOB RENTON

I suppose I'm not being clear. Fram and Wix both manufacture filters which include return line nipples. If that's a route others wish to take with their projects, the product is available. I am not going that route but certainly did consider it.

Plenty of fuel with the factory design. The pic with the UPC is the carter pump I was told to use. I don't remember where i got the vapor seperator.

20200523_155051.jpg 20200523_155243.jpg 20200523_155243.jpg

Let us know how the new sending unit works out on gauge accuracy.
To date, I know of no reproduction sending unit that's worth two cents in that category.
I think that new sending unit from Kramer works fairly decent. I got a little driving in before putting it away for Winter and from what I could tell the fuel gauge worked okay. It doesn't read quite all the way full when full, but its close enough.

IMO....regarding the fuel line size....
3/8" from the tank to the pump will make it easier for the pump to draw fuel from the tank due to reduced suction pressure st the pump, but not really needed. The factory used 5/16" tubing from the tank to the pump and 1/4" tubing from the vapor seperator back to the tank. From the vapor seperator to the hard lines to the carbs, 5/16" was used becsuse the fluid is under pressure and will overcome any piping restrictions. BTW....the fitting connections at the "T" fittings and carb inlets are SAE 45° flare connections and assembled WITHOUT any teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads. Any hose connections, supply line to the pump, pump to seperator inlet, seperator outlet to carb supply hard lines are made with gasoline rated nose and "keystone" style crimp connection clamps, if origionality is wanted or needed. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Factory used a 3/8 line from the tank to the pump on Hemi and 440"s with the 1/4 return

Auto Transport Service
Back