• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Wheel opening moldings on 73 road runner

73runner

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
My car never came with them but....come to hear today...that they were standard on all roadrunners.

Was it a possible delete option?

Was it tied to the the delux chrome bumper guards ???

Anybody know about this.

Thanks.

I will have to check my build sheet to see if my car came with the deluxe bumper guards. I had never heard of them as being standard myself.

I believe they were standard on the GTX but not the RR.

I'm afraid Mr. Worman got that one wrong;

That's where I heard it and I was a bit surprised..... Thought I might have an odd ball.... I bet the decor group you mentioned included the chrome bumper guards... Any way to find out?

Thanks 72roadrunnergtx...

According to what you posted, the wheel opening molding was part of the A87 roadrunner exterior decor package. I have the drip rail molding but not the wheel opening moldings ..... The car came to me stripped but with the moldings on the drip rail. Perhaps added by someone along the way.

I see also that my car probably came with the A06 Easy Order package as I have the light package and chrome remote driver mirror. But no chrome bumper guards. Maybe they just got lost

I don't see those specific codes on the data plate and I don't have the build sheet for the car so I can't be sure.

Ok so now it's 2am and I just decode the fender tag.... Everything checks out...

The only code that gave the My Mopar site a fit was M52.... Which I assume is the sunroof.

Does anyone know the 73 data plate code for the sunroof?

Hey 73Runner, just a note on the wheel opening moldings, its almost impossible anymore to find a good set these days, and if you do, the prices are astronomical. At the time I restored my car, I got lucky and was able to find another member that had an NOS set, but it was only 1 of 2 sets I could find anywhere in the country, the other set was priced over 2K. There are no reproductions available either. I believe drip rail molding was standard on all cars.

Drip rail on RR?

My RL21 Sat does not have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, M52 is the sunroof.

Hey YY1, can you post a pic of it? I don't think I have ever seen a satellite with out the drip rail molding.

It has the painted metal filler pieces that only cars without drip rail trim got.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic where you can see that.

It did not have a day/night mirror, either.

Hey 73Runner, just a note on the wheel opening moldings, its almost impossible anymore to find a good set these days, and if you do, the prices are astronomical. At the time I restored my car, I got lucky and was able to find another member that had an NOS set, but it was only 1 of 2 sets I could find anywhere in the country, the other set was priced over 2K. There are no reproductions available either. I believe drip rail molding was standard on all cars.

Thanks.... My old SSP, from back in the day, had the wheel opening molding and I remember they were toast as I recall so I'm sure that even used ones were very scarce even back then. Sort of glad mine never came with them.

I had a 73 roadrunner prior to the one I had now that didn't have them either or the drip rail molding.

If you go to the link that 72roadrunnergtx posted you can see that both were option A87 Roadrunner decor package option.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Satellite8.jpg

Which I guess means if you had one you had the other.

I had them on mine before i painted it and decided not to put them back on. They look OK but kind of like the clean look.
Before
100_1860.jpg

After

IMG_1589.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back