• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiet electric fuel pump?

I have reduced the noise a lot by mounting the pump on a piece of 3/8 thick rubber attached to the frame.
no doubt. The mounting of the pump is key. I stopped trying to find quiet fuel pumps because they don't exist. You can actually make a quiet pump louder if you mount it wrong. I use Carter pumps and suspend them in different ways depending on the application. A Carter pump mounted this way is very quiet.

I used heater hose between the Mallory 250 pump and the mounting bracket. It might have lowered slightly lowered the sound?

I've run the Mallory 110 pump on my 505 stroker and 408 stroker now and really like it. It is arguable the quietest pump on the market and does a great job.

IMG_2994.jpg

I run a Walbro 225lph high pressure inline pump on my Turbo Jet boat. Engine is exposed, no cover. Same pump for over 10yrs. Before I start engine, while turning on pump, I can barely hear it. Obviously going to need a return line and regulator.

Did @72redbird comment on what combo his friend has and why he needs an electric pump? That will tell us if and which one to get.

Sorry for the late reply, his combo is stock except for a slight cam. It is a stock 440, with exhaust manifolds, running old style turbo mufflers. Car is a four speed. He was wondering about an electric pump due to fuel evaporating from the float bowls. He drives the car maybe once a month just to keep the juices flowing. So it sits a lot, when he goes to start it he has to crank it a bit to get the fuel up to the bowls. Car runs fine, he just does not like cranking it so much after it sits more than a few days. Thanks for the replies,

Just find a flow thru priming pump and hook it up to a toggle or push button switch to use before starting. Check the "search" here or at FABO for priming pump. I think airtex was one brand. Cheaper and just as reliable is fill a ketchup bottle with gas and fill the float bowl thru the vent before starting.

I was using the one I posted as a priming pump, and then had to switch it to full time use when my fuel pump pushrod failed.

Sorry for the late reply, his combo is stock except for a slight cam. It is a stock 440, with exhaust manifolds, running old style turbo mufflers. Car is a four speed. He was wondering about an electric pump due to fuel evaporating from the float bowls. He drives the car maybe once a month just to keep the juices flowing. So it sits a lot, when he goes to start it he has to crank it a bit to get the fuel up to the bowls. Car runs fine, he just does not like cranking it so much after it sits more than a few days. Thanks for the replies,
So all you need is a priming pump. See the thread I started on FABO. That information is here but the thread isn't handy. Electric primer pump for fuel A momentary switch fed by a fused 12 volt line is all you need.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the info. That definitely sound like the way to go and solves the noise issue at the same time.

Thanks again!!

Edelbrock supposedly makes a Quiet-flo pump. I don't know if it's quiet or not.
In-tank pump with a return will probably be quietest, I sure would not go to all that bother just for a quiet pump!
If he can hear a pump over his engine, he hasn't got near enough engine!
My suggestion? Turn up the radio.

For what it's worth: my 250gph mallory gerotor is MUCH quieter than my 140gph vane type trick flow. (Gerotor, same as bbm oil pump)
Edelbrock quiet flow is not quiet. I changed from a magna fuel to edelbrock years ago thinking the same thing. Just as loud. Finally changed to a tank from tanksinc.com and an in tank walboro pump. Whisper quiet now.

Auto Transport Service
Back