• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator core differences

I am not saying who is right and who is wrong, of course is a theory supported by some numbers and calculations the exact science, but i (and many here, including yourself probably) do not have any equipment to do the tests and run the numbers to calculate exact.
I only state we do not have to go that far, people with some hands on experience in the usage/swap of a said type of radiator/engine combo would already provide good info on the facts and could share their experiences.
Claiming numbers and facts that nobody here has and likely will never have does not help any of us as we simply do not keep flow meters for air/water systems and the likes in our toolbox.

Perhaps, what you say is true....but....a complete or a better understanding of a subject, technical or otherwise, should spark one's own curiosity as to WHY things are the way they are....not to belittle the audiences' knowledge or understanding of the subject, but to help the audiences' understanding. The topic of discussion can always, or usually always, be tailored to the audience's level of understanding.....ignorance is not bliss .... ask questions about what is not understood or disagreed with. This process is called learning.....
BOB RENTON

To me, and surely plenty others it would be interesting to find out, but lets give some examples:
The 18" flex fan i am using, what info does Flex-a-lite give me in respect of a CFM flow vs. rpm rate?
How much info does US Radiators provide on Btu performance of this radiator?
Nothing, so how would most of us bother and trying to figure out all involved parts information the manufacturer did not provide, likely on purpose, to do all the math?
All i know that it is for a BB Mopar, its shroud takes an 18" fan and all i can ensure is pick a good quality fan and to stick that fan in the best possible position so it forces as much air as possible through that radiator core.

The idea is to get something that works well and drive that car as much as you want, or have it factory correct, whatever your mission may be.
Asking people of their experience with certain parts will provide material to make a comparison that will be use full to me and any others interested in this matter.
(i.e. a person who states using this radiator on a 500hp 440 and confirms it does the job well, or a guy who can confirm this radiator still let his mild 318 overheat gives a good source of information, then other questions may be asked on what fan, shroud, etc was used to pinpoint any issues)

There is no belittling of any audience from my point of view, you state all sorts of facts on how's and why's on the questioned subject without providing any facts yourself.
All your information is stated purely theoretical on how something works, which some may know and others might not.
But the original question in regards to this type radiators performance you do not answer, and cannot answer either as you as well cannot help providing any performance knowledge of said radiator or fan or whatever part involved.
So to refer to all this theory doesn't help answer the question.

I didn't want this to turn into a pissing contest, but showing up and stating that due to the lack of required parameters are not given and just running on assumptions and feelings is a bad thing and on top of that you can't submit anything yourself just makes me wonder why responding in the first place?

To me, and surely plenty others it would be interesting to find out, but lets give some examples:
The 18" flex fan i am using, what info does Flex-a-lite give me in respect of a CFM flow vs. rpm rate?
How much info does US Radiators provide on Btu performance of this radiator?
Nothing, so how would most of us bother and trying to figure out all involved parts information the manufacturer did not provide, likely on purpose, to do all the math?
All i know that it is for a BB Mopar, its shroud takes an 18" fan and all i can ensure is pick a good quality fan and to stick that fan in the best possible position so it forces as much air as possible through that radiator core.

The idea is to get something that works well and drive that car as much as you want, or have it factory correct, whatever your mission may be.
Asking people of their experience with certain parts will provide material to make a comparison that will be use full to me and any others interested in this matter.
(i.e. a person who states using this radiator on a 500hp 440 and confirms it does the job well, or a guy who can confirm this radiator still let his mild 318 overheat gives a good source of information, then other questions may be asked on what fan, shroud, etc was used to pinpoint any issues)

There is no belittling of any audience from my point of view, you state all sorts of facts on how's and why's on the questioned subject without providing any facts yourself.
All your information is stated purely theoretical on how something works, which some may know and others might not.
But the original question in regards to this type radiators performance you do not answer, and cannot answer either as you as well cannot help providing any performance knowledge of said radiator or fan or whatever part involved.
So to refer to all this theory doesn't help answer the question.

I didn't want this to turn into a pissing contest, but showing up and stating that due to the lack of required parameters are not given and just running on assumptions and feelings is a bad thing and on top of that you can't submit anything yourself just makes me wonder why responding in the first place?

NOR...I...but ask the simple question: HOW does the purchaser know that what he/she is considering buying is capable of performing the cooling task, IF the the person does not ask of the supplier at least, what transpired in the recommendation decision? Perhaps the large percentage of the consumers don't know what questions to ask, other than price or will it fit. If they don't know....that's OK.....but for my money, I'll ask. As for me, I have a personal proprietary software program that performs the heat balance calculations that helps with the determination of heat exchanger.....for my own use. It uses the fundamental thermodynamics principles. Like you, I'm done talking about this subject.....
BOB RENTON

So since today was another day of hot weather i put my new radiator to the test and did some city driving with a lot of standstills at the traffic lights and slow traffic.
I have seen it go up to 187* at the highest, during normal driving on the open road it stays around 180-182*.
All in all this radiator takes 10-15* away from the coolant temperature, and at least now, for sure i know the thermostat isn't fully open in an attempt to cool the engine down but probably can manage somewhere in half open position.

I also went from a 2" fan spacer to a 2.25" as i had sufficient space left between the radiator and fan.
What also helped i guess is that, since i have the correct shroud for the car, it's not the correct shroud for the radiator as it had a 3/4" gap at the top and bottom. (never noted any air flow in the gap really, but it does not help)
On the new radiator the shroud mounts direct, where on the old one there is a spacing frame where the shroud bolts onto and therefore creates some distance between.
So now the shroud moved forward and so had the fan to sit around 75% inside the shroud.

US Radiators make som nice looking pieces btw, looks OEM but obviously is missing the part numbers and pentastar logo but other then that it looks really good and standard.

Auto Transport Service
Back